FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can your PC outrun gaming consoles?

speeDemon
I'm pretty sure that many people are using highly powered HTPCs. But the question is that can your PC outrun the latest gaming consoles? (PS3, Xbox 360) I'm not talking about Wii, because well graphic-wise there is no real competition..

So, do you think your computer is better? If yes, then please mention the specifications(mainly graphic card, processor, etc.)
standready
Not mine. It is 3 years old but gets the job done.
ocalhoun
My PC:
Practical work done, 453 hours.

Game console:
Practical work done, 0 hours.

Yep, outperforms game consoles very well.
taytay
Heck yeah. The thing with PC's, is they're upgradable. So as new games and technology come out you can always outfit your system to handle it. But when a new console comes out, almost NEVER does every old game you have for the previous version of the console, work on your new one. It's bogus. I hate consoles with a passion. I can play any PC game I've ever owned. From doom, to frogger, to warcraft-starcraft, to james bond(not many though Sad ). In my opinion, ANYgame they make for a console, should be made available on PC too. It's just better. and easier to head shot people in FPS games than with a controller.

My rig is a year old, but has enough power to last me a while.
AMD 2.6Ghz 4-core Phenom CPU
8Gigs of OCZ DDR2 ram (4 sticks of 2Gbs) at 1066Mhz
External ATI HD4850 with 1Gig onboard Ram
Onboard ATI HD3200 with 512MB Ram(taken from my 8Gigs ram)
-both linked using HybridCrossfire (So my graphics are running at HD4870 Specs. Very nice Very Happy

Now they have the HD5xxx Series cards which make me drools. But my card is working well for now. Can do 1080p through a 50 foot HDMI cable to my HD LCD projector. Play Crysis, call of duty 4-5-6, halo 2. All at my own speeds. Wireless Keyboard, Wireless mouse, Wireless XBOX 360 Windows Controller. Lately I've been playing a game called Heroes of newerth with my friends. And I have blue-ray, and a TV/FM tuner. My computer does everything. Games, Movies, internet, email. It's a fantastic PC Very Happy
Works great for me!

And in the future, when I can afford to get 2 of the best HD5xxx cards(although by the time I can they'll have even better ones), then I can utilize ATI's Eyefinity technology and use 6 HD projectors! Getting me HD 3240p resolution TV and gaming! BUA HA HA!!!!

I swear to you I am going to do it... I swear it.
speeDemon
taytay wrote:
And in the future, when I can afford to get 2 of the best HD5xxx cards(although by the time I can they'll have even better ones), then I can utilize ATI's Eyefinity technology and use 6 HD projectors! Getting me HD 3240p resolution TV and gaming! BUA HA HA!!!!

I swear to you I am going to do it... I swear it.

Do tell me when you do it!
Denvis
Nope. Unfortunately not. It's a 2 year old work laptop. Not designed to play any high performance game Sad
achowles
Completely, totally and utterly.

Phenom II x4 3Ghz
4GB DDR2
GeForce GTX 260
MSI K9A2 CF
Dell 2209WA 22"
Windows 7 64bit

Even back when it had a dual core processor and an ATI 3850 graphics card it still beat a 360 hands down.
Diablosblizz
I'm pretty sure mine does:

Intel Xeon 2.8GHz Quad
2 GB RAM DDR2
1.5TB HDD
ATI 4770

Too lazy to post it all.
ssweat
you guys have some nice rigs, mine is ok but not that great, i still think its better than any console.

AMD 7750 dual core black box O/C at 3.11 GHz
Nvidea 9800GTX 512 mb
4 gigs Crucial ballistic ram
can still run almost all games at high resolution and still can upgrade unlike a console.
Josso
Yes easily, no point having a PC when it starts being less good than the latest console if you are into your games. Costs less than people would think, especially if you get the parts individually and assemble you are only really looking at the same price as a ps3 with better results if you are smart.
Donutey
Any PC with a $60+ graphics card can generally outrun consoles. Also, you're misusing the term HTPC (Home theater PC) which are generally not used to run games.[/quote]
speeDemon
Donutey wrote:
Any PC with a $60+ graphics card can generally outrun consoles. Also, you're misusing the term HTPC (Home theater PC) which are generally not used to run games.
[/quote]

I guess i am misusing the term HTPC(but I believe that only computers with configurations as high as HTPCs can beat the best of the best gaming consoles), and I would have to disagree that a 60$ card can beat a ps3.