FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What sort of people apply for office jobs?

David_Pardy
This is a question that's been bugging me for years...

As an IT guy, I've been to several different workplaces and have been contracted to a permanent position in a hospital.

The thing that I don't understand is, though, is how many kids go through school and say "When I grow up, I want to be an office clerk!"

I can understand people taking small steps to reach their lofty goals as an accountant, real estate salesperson, etc., but there seem to be a LOT of people who are left in a 'rut' in a crap job with no aspirations and going nowhere. While for myself, it's taken me years to work out exactly what I want to do with my life, these other people are in positions for which you do need to make a deliberate effort to become at least a little bit qualified with computers, at least in on the job training.

Of course, I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to WANT such a job.

It's just that it seems to me that people have no dreams or aspirations... When I was growing up, I wanted to be a computer programmer. After I grew up and realised I didn't want to be a programmer, I decided after a couple of years to become a professional drummer, and now my Plan B is to become a Paramedic.

I remember once when I was younger, wanting to be in the police force, fire department, army, and a train driver - all at the same time! Of course, times have changed, but I was still able to imagine what I wanted to do with my life.

If there's anyone who is actually stuck in such a rut, what are your ambitions? Do you have any plans for the future, or are you still working out what you want to do with your life?
deanhills
Excellent questions. I admire your enthusiasm and being enough in touch with yourself to change your objectives. Paramedic sounds great.

Some people are so completely confused after they leave their homes, it takes a life time to get up to date with exactly what they want to do, and by that time they are ready for retirement. Just a fact of life. Others just don't see anything that take their fancy. Others are forced by their families into directions that are unsuitable, and which they fail in in the end.

Having said that, a job in administration is not only for losers. There are some skills needed to be good at it. Organisations can't function properly without a solid foundation of administrative systems.
Greatking
this is a great topic. you realize people seem to be stuck up at a job that doesn't bring satisfaction. that was my fear but i realize even though i find myself stuck up at a not so satisfying working environment at least a i have a dream of setting up my own magazine company and i am working towards that. i think its more of knowing what you want from life and focusing on it even if there may have been some delays. you just have to find a way of working it no matter what. i have decided not to let anything get me stuck for life in a boring job or a not so satisfying job. but to persevere in getting the best out of life.
Xanify
Personally, I wouldn't want to be an office clerk ... I'd much rather program computers for a living. I'm good at it and I love the challenges that come with it, whereas I am way too disorganized to make a good office clerk.

But I kind of understand the mentality that makes some people take dead-end jobs. It's just, I think, a simple lack of ambition. Some people don't care that their job is boring/stupid/mindless - they might complain about it, but at the end of the day they just want to collect their paycheck at the end of the week/month and go home.

And that's cool. As much as 'we' think poorly of them, our society would collapse if nobody wanted to do the boring jobs.
Quxx
Nice thread you made there. I hate jobs that are based at office as they would bore me to death. I enjoy jobs that aren't the same from day to another. Like Xanify, I like programming and have decided to study to become one.
soljarag
without these people, businesses would fall apart Smile So I'm glad someone is willing to do these kinds of jobs.... much like janitors ....
PureReborn
I'm working in such a job now, but that's just for 4 month coop. Personally, I'm just doing this for the money so I can finish school. As for others, maybe some people don'' really care about their job and see it as just a means to get money for their hobbies/other pursuits in life.

My manager and I were just having this discussion about people rushing through life and never taking the time to step back and think about why they're doing what they're currently doing. I mean if you just look at your next goal and never further then its easy to get stuck into the loop of : need money --> work --> fulfill next goal as expected by society --> need money and repeat kind of loop. You need up forgetting your dreams when you were a kid, and before you know it, it's too late for you to do those things.

I'm happy that you know what you're working towards and I hope you make it.