FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Being Single

THaHiTWRiTTeR
Being SINGLE has made me ponder that maybe God wanted us to meet the wrong person before meeting the right one so that when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift. Maybe when the door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us. Maybe the best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had. Maybe it is true that we do not know what we have until we lose it, but it is also true that we do not know what we have been missing until it arrives. Giving someone all your love is never an assurance that they will love you back. Do not expect love in return; just wait for it to grow in their heart; but if it does not, be content it grew in yours. It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone. Do not go for looks; they can deceive. Do not go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright. Find the one that makes your heart smile. There are moments in life when you miss someone so much that you just want to pick them from your dreams and hug them for real. Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do. May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, enough hope to make you happy. Always put yourself in others shoes. If you feel that it hurts you, it probably hurts them too. The happiest of people do not necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. Happiness lies for those who cry, those who hurt, those who have searched and those who have tried, for only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you cannot go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and the heartaches." So make LOVE to the present and forget the past!
David_Pardy
My goodness, have you not heard of using the Enter key?! Seriously, nobody reads text when it's blobbed together like that. You have to use paragraphs Smile.

Something people don't understand is that it is impossible to be truly happy in a relationship if you are incapable of being happy while single. While it's perfectly ok to 'want' to be in a relationship, you need to be confident in yourself and be happy with who you are, or any relationship you get into will have more problems than it needs to.

Both my wife and I have cherished the time when we used to be single, but we both have a great appreciation for our marriage. It, unfortunately, took me all of my teenagerhood to learn the hard way that you have to be happy being single before you can be happy in a relationship.
guggs
You can spend much more time farting when you're single. And belching. And drinking.
zacky
THaHiTWRiTTeR wrote:
Being SINGLE has made me ponder that maybe God wanted us to meet the wrong person before meeting the right one so that when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift. Maybe when the door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us. Maybe the best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had. Maybe it is true that we do not know what we have until we lose it, but it is also true that we do not know what we have been missing until it arrives. Giving someone all your love is never an assurance that they will love you back. Do not expect love in return; just wait for it to grow in their heart; but if it does not, be content it grew in yours. It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone. Do not go for looks; they can deceive. Do not go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright. Find the one that makes your heart smile. There are moments in life when you miss someone so much that you just want to pick them from your dreams and hug them for real. Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do. May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, enough hope to make you happy. Always put yourself in others shoes. If you feel that it hurts you, it probably hurts them too. The happiest of people do not necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. Happiness lies for those who cry, those who hurt, those who have searched and those who have tried, for only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you cannot go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and the heartaches." So make LOVE to the present and forget the past!

Yeah i really do agree to David_Pardy, it's really hard to read your post and not just like that, if your having trouble in your points or

aiming a higher one, use instead a Enter key cmd. I mean one whole single line of space between your lines of text so it's not very hard

to read and not so boring with all of your respect.

I know there's a lot of people who wants to give an advice,comment or suggestions to you but with

that form of writing, you might get a low average of responses.

But if you don't want to put a space, maybe you could just use a readable form of writing in each paragraph not the whole entire thing.
iyepes
THaHiTWRiTTeR wrote:

I've read most of your post in several ppt files my friends send me, but the idea in the tittle of your post is interesting, maybe we spend too much time finding out about being with someone else, but maybe being single is the amswer.

Society forces us to choose a partner, but most of the time discard us for not having it, and, why if it is not the answer, what if going for oneself and not playing the specie reproduction game fits better for us?
Insanity
I think sometimes it gets a bit lonely being single. I like the connection with another person that comes with a relationship.
Denvis
THaHiTWRiTTeR wrote:
Being SINGLE has made me ponder that maybe God

Sorry, I kind of just stopped reading after that.
Greatking
i believe that you have to enjoy your single life and then you can enjoy your marriage. in whatever stage you find yourself in life wherever you find yourself you must enjoy life to the fullest. whether your are single or married you just have to!
JessieF
iyepes wrote:

I've read most of your post in several ppt files my friends send me, but the idea in the tittle of your post is interesting, maybe we spend too much time finding out about being with someone else, but maybe being single is the amswer.

Society forces us to choose a partner, but most of the time discard us for not having it, and, why if it is not the answer, what if going for oneself and not playing the specie reproduction game fits better for us?

I agree with you there. We must find ourselves and learn about ourselves before we can let someone in our life. How can we expect someone to love us unconditionally if we can't love ourselves or others the same way? : )

Denvis wrote:
THaHiTWRiTTeR wrote:

Your post is irrelevant in this topic. Rolling Eyes
paskifire
Being single is refreshing.
Denvis
JessieF wrote:

Denvis wrote:

Your post is irrelevant in this topic. Rolling Eyes

Your response was irrelevant. Laughing
mk12327
Yeah, the content mostly seems to have been lifted off some ppt slides, online articles or something like that. It is also very hard to read... =X

Anyways, seems like most of you commonly agree that knowing how to love yourself as a single person is important in establishing love in a relationship. In my opinion, it is true and false at the same time. Or rather, it is totally subjective. Some people love themselves or enjoy singehood too much that they are selfish or unfaithful. However, i'm sure everyone was referring to positive examples such as discovering one's personal strengths + weaknesses and leveraging on them to improve relationships, understanding the other party's occasional need to personal space, and basically knowing how to love someone.

For myself, when i first fell in love, i was unable to understand many things until the days when i lost my love. One important thing is knowing how to love someone. Before i ever got into a relationship, i used to be an introvert and independent. My life was mostly about myself and solitude. When i was in a relationship, the dynamics changes as now the lives of 2 people are entwined together. It requires alot more understanding, forgiving, and compromise. Many of these do not need to be considered when being single.
macky
Sometimes it's really cool to be single but of course not all of the times.

I'm always become 3 times in a year for almost have so many break ups that i had.

Sometimes i'm wondering what it feels like and yeah when the time came by that i'm single,

i feel a peaceful in mind for a moment. But i can't deny that i'm getting bored and lonely, feel so sick

when i don't have a relationship especially when a special day comes or events that you needed someone most.
andysart380
i have pretty much been single for the last two year..and until just a few months ago was a truly happy again, i finally let go. You are right you can never move forward unless you forget whats behind you.
mk12327
Over here at Frihost, there are many who had been through a lot in life and had gained the experience and wisdom to give good advices. Of course, then you have people like me whom are sometimes troubled with things around myself. But i do hope that whenever i give advices, it would help and not make things worse.
soljarag
Denvis wrote:
THaHiTWRiTTeR wrote:

hahahahaha... same here Smile
PureReborn
lol I saw a big blob of text and just went "too long, did not read". Seriously use the enter key once in a while.

Actually just make the . key function as enter also.
andysart380
yeah depends on how long you are single for..like for me...two years... not so much fun anymore, but i find its when im not looking for anything is when it comes to me instead
mk12327
andysart380 wrote:
yeah depends on how long you are single for..like for me...two years... not so much fun anymore, but i find its when im not looking for anything is when it comes to me instead

Sometimes it happens. There might also be a time where the person that is meant for you had always been there, just that the timing or conditions are not right yet. Certain events or over time, might change your perspective (or the other party's perspective) and sparks a romance.
jpayee
I'm proud being single. there is so many things you can't do once you are married.
camperkid
No god wants you to get laid, otherwise we'd all die and he would have nobody to ****** around with.
Greatking
being single is a learning curve in every body's life. you must enjoy your single life then you can definitely enjoy marriage! there things you can do whilst you are single and others only when you are married, so why not allow yourself to enjoy and experience those things so that later you can enjoy
airh3ad
This really true being single is great...when you're young, good-looking, carefree and can have sex with a different person every week. When I was single, I loved it. But I think there comes a time when a person wants more than just casual sex and short flings. Well, maybe not everyone but I felt this way. I am happily married now. Although me and my husband do not have traditional views about marriage at all; we tied the knot for more practical reasons. We both just knew that we wanted to be together for a long time.
I also like the way put it--'doubling your joys and halving your sorrows'. Marriage is about sharing your life with someone. It's witnessing a life and having your life witnessed. It's knowing that you have a partner to enjoy every day with. A partner to love and to grow with.but be prepare if you have plan to married!
zbale
So is this how one gets a straight 5-point post? Because it looks a lot like a copy paste from any best-quotes-on-relationships website.

The comments are, as a consequence, more interesting than the original post.
iyepes
I coming back to this topic and it becomes so relevant to me, I'm in a time in my life when I reach the question, what about being single for the rest of my life? It's possible that I've just live the first half of my life, I've done it on my own, the relationships I've had were less than satisfactory, so, is there really a point on continue trying the dating thing?

It would be perfect to me except for a detail, I still like men an their company, and because of that I continue on the game...... but I getting tired, really.
mk12327
iyepes wrote:
I coming back to this topic and it becomes so relevant to me, I'm in a time in my life when I reach the question, what about being single for the rest of my life? It's possible that I've just live the first half of my life, I've done it on my own, the relationships I've had were less than satisfactory, so, is there really a point on continue trying the dating thing?

It would be perfect to me except for a detail, I still like men an their company, and because of that I continue on the game...... but I getting tired, really.

I'm not trying to be offensive to you or anyone, but i think it depends on your age. If you had really lived the first half of your life alone (42-50 years old), then I believe it doesn't really matter if you have a guy in your life or not. In fact, for such cases, family ties are more important as they are probably the last few to leave you in times of trouble.

If you are much younger, however, do not give up hope on all men yet. It just means that you tend to attract the wrong guys or that you are attracted to the wrong guys. It is always good to make mistakes; as long as you admit the mistake, learn from it, and remind yourself never to make it again. Think through what went right and what went wrong in your past relationships and make a list out of it. Locate your problem and remove it from your life.
rogue_skydragon
Being single gives you the opportunity to do sooo much more in life than when you're in a committed relationship. You can chase your dreams and do and see so many things.
taytay
eh. being single, and being in a relationship both have their ups and downs. It's a struggle which i prefer. If I'm single, I notice other girls more, tend to make new female friends easier(that sounds so weird..), and I have the freedom of dating whoever I want whenever i choose. In a relationship, i'm stuck to one person, but it's going to be someone I like enough to not mind being stuck to. Otherwise there really is no point in the relationship in the first place. But then there's the worry of, what if I see someone i think is cuter, or meet someone and we click a little bit and I want to get to know her more, but can't because I'm invisibly restrained? It's dangerous ground to walk on for sure.

Regardless. Being single is the best way to JUST date people to get to know them and discover what qualities i like in a girl. When I'm in a relationship, i generally have the time of my life, and get to know the greatest secrets and bond closely to the girl I'm in the relationship with. Then the only worry is how will i handle a break up if things start to not work right, something changes, or for whatever reason we're finally sick of each other; having to deal with the emotion stress of being so close to someone then having them be gone in a flash.

It's a toughy to discern completely.
jeffybrown
everybody have his/her own perception its totally depends on your mind that what you think what you want to do i prefer strong relationship
zbale
iyepes wrote:

Hey "iyepes", I remember noticing your posts over the past year or so and you always sounded like a great person to meet, so I wouldn't stop hoping if I were you, there must be great guys out there waiting to meet a person just like you.

About the dating "thing" or "game", my opinion is that when it becomes a "game" indeed, there's a risk of becoming jaded, and the opportunity of meeting someone is kind of mediated by all the layers of expectations, the "rules of the game", etc. It's actually a cruel thing (in my opinion) that English can use the verb "to date" with a singular subject and no object, as in "I've been dating for five years".

I'm not an expert on dating so I don't think I can help much, except by referring to the fact that several friends of mine (women and men) acknowledged that they had dated for years (sometimes more than a decade) a certain type of guys or girls that brought clearly unsatisfactory relationships, until they actually started therapy and found out what this pattern of attraction-cum-dissatisfaction was all about (I don't know if they're happier now but I can check ;-)

It is all tiring, for sure.

Perhaps finding an exciting (as in "creative" not "kinky") way of changing the "game" can make a positive difference? After all, dating was invented for you, not the other way around.

Wishing you the best of luck!
iyepes
zbale, it's nice to know that someone notices your posts, even if I only come here every time my scores are negative Razz

Yes, I really want that dating wasn't a game, but all people seems to be as lost as I am, so, they only bring confussion.

I've done therapy, and I've reached wonderful results, one of them is finding out when a person is inappropriate, before getting involved with him, but I still have no luck about finding good people.

All depends on me, I know, that is my hope and my sadness Smile
mk12327
iyepes wrote:
zbale, it's nice to know that someone notices your posts, even if I only come here every time my scores are negative Razz

Yes, I really want that dating wasn't a game, but all people seems to be as lost as I am, so, they only bring confussion.

I've done therapy, and I've reached wonderful results, one of them is finding out when a person is inappropriate, before getting involved with him, but I still have no luck about finding good people.

All depends on me, I know, that is my hope and my sadness Smile

Recently, I had read articles and learnt that despite all our beliefs that humans can be very rational, we can be very irrational at times, especially when our emotions were excited. The example I was shown is that under normal circumstances, we are rational enough not to exchange / buy a $10 with $50. However, when faced with the excitement from environment, competition, or emotional attachments (like during an auction), we might be irrational and bid $50 or even $100 for a $10 note. Is has been proven in many social experiments that we humans, sometimes let our hearts rule our minds. Not that we can change that totally, but at least we can take steps suggested by "experts" to minimise the impact.
zbale
iyepes wrote:

All depends on me, I know, that is my hope and my sadness :)

I agree that we should live our lives with the decision that we are 100% responsible for what happens to us, but still, you can't conjure up a great guy if they just don't turn up where you live. I know some people (religious circles especially) are prepared to date long-distance thanks to dating websites, but it's tough and means one must be prepared for big changes possibly (such as moving from one state or country to another). That seems all the more difficult if one has lived some time and repeatedly made the discovery that a person who appeared to be a great guy is in fact not the right one. Plus, after a certain age, I guess long-distance dating gets really hard -- for one thing, we've learned the lesson that we project so much in one another's writing that it's difficult to have an idea who the person really is. In a way I envy deeply religious people who are able to start with common, very strong principles and a good chemistry, and build on from there.

Did you try dating guys from other places?

Good luck!
tasdizayn
beiing single is good Smile
zbale
mk12327 wrote:

Recently, I had read articles and learnt that despite all our beliefs that humans can be very rational, we can be very irrational at times, especially when our emotions were excited. The example I was shown is that under normal circumstances, we are rational enough not to exchange / buy a $10 with $50. However, when faced with the excitement from environment, competition, or emotional attachments (like during an auction), we might be irrational and bid $50 or even $100 for a $10 note. Is has been proven in many social experiments that we humans, sometimes let our hearts rule our minds. Not that we can change that totally, but at least we can take steps suggested by "experts" to minimise the impact.

Yeah, there's a book on that (probably several), by Dan Ariely, called Predictably irrational. The author's website is here: http://danariely.com

I haven't read the book yet but I read a very interesting review in The New Yorker, and friends of mine liked it very much.
mk12327
zbale wrote:
mk12327 wrote:

Yeah, there's a book on that (probably several), by Dan Ariely, called Predictably irrational. The author's website is here: http://danariely.com

I haven't read the book yet but I read a very interesting review in The New Yorker, and friends of mine liked it very much.

I checked out the site and found that not only does the books he wrote seems very interesting, his blog posts are interesting as well! Would love to do some readings like this, if not for my busy and tight schedule. It is so hard to find time (and a really quiet and conducive place) to read. Even my Frihost points are so deep in the reds. Got to find time to do some posting soon!
zbale
mk12327 wrote:
zbale wrote:
mk12327 wrote:

I checked out the site and found that not only does the books he wrote seems very interesting, his blog posts are interesting as well! Would love to do some readings like this, if not for my busy and tight schedule. It is so hard to find time (and a really quiet and conducive place) to read. Even my Frihost points are so deep in the reds. Got to find time to do some posting soon!

I can feel for you :)
jordialex
Happiness is in your hand! when the love hearts is better to be single and enjoy more than one love. There is a lot of people that has love and is absurd to stay with one love all the live. That only can be usefull when you want to make a family and traditional life.

If not do the love with all!! Very Happy Embarassed
macky
yeah that's your idea and i think that's good enough..
dapopeyoh
There are times when being single can be fun. You can do a lot of stuff with a clear mind. But sometimes, you can really get lonely and believe me it is a terrible feeling. It is not easy to maintain a relationship but if you have a good relationship with someone, it is really fun too.
Greatking
Being Single is something to cherish and appreciate. There is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely.

The fact is if you look at your coupled friends they are often thinking about your life with longing, ask them, if they are honest they will tell you.

Sure having a committed relationship is great. Loving and being loved is something we all seek, however until you find love, or if you never do, you do not have to live your life as an outcast or a shut in.

Being single means you can love and pamper your self as much as you want.

Take your self shopping, find a great book, get a manicure, don't watch sports on TV (unless you want to). Eat cereal or popcorn for dinner.

Cook an experimental dish that if it doesn't work out no on will be the wiser. Go on vacation alone, you wont have to juggle anyone else's schedule or budget. Spend hours on the phone with friends, be an auntie to your friends children.

Get a pet (though no more than 2 cats ladies). Go to the movies alone, you can see what you want, eat what you want and not have to worry about someone talking though the best scenes. Explore your city, go to art galleries, museums, the theater, symphony its easier to get one ticket to an event than two, you can often go at the last minute.

You can take long soaking baths, walk around you house nude. You can do all of the girlie things that you don't want a partner to see (hair removal, facials, curlers). You can make all of the decisions for your life and live as you want in your pink bedroom without having to apologize or explain.

then comes moving on and loving. when you find love you must hold on and never let go.
macky
yes that was great we have to love the present not the past anymore... it is a life experience already

and we have to face the new one...
zbale
Greatking wrote:
Being Single is something to cherish and appreciate. There is a huge difference between being alone and being lonely.

The fact is if you look at your coupled friends they are often thinking about your life with longing, ask them, if they are honest they will tell you.
[...]

I don't know if that's so often the case, but it's true that sometimes you get the feeling that people want to be in a couple because everybody around is -- because it's the thing to do if you want to appear socially normal. Only there's more to finding the right person than meeting someone who also wants to be in a couple Smile

Life can be tough being lonely, but life can be even tougher when you could simply be happily alone (because you haven't found the right person) but social pressure makes you unhappily alone -- loneliness might be a socially induced condition. What do you think?
sudipbanerjee
Single! is it possible? I think it is a foolish idea.
Insanity
I think the point was hit on the head with the comment that being alone and being lonely is not the same thing. Sometimes I very much prefer to be alone because I like to be able to think and relax with nobody else bothering me. There's no pressure for me to interact with other people and expend that energy.
mshafiq
Being a single is a gift. Being together with a good/real partner is a blessing.
If someone is single and still meets someone, i should better be quite.
However if being single means not having intimacy time with someone else, is really not better than being with spouse.

However in any definition, all the people would probably agree (and have agreed) that being single means you eat, drink, sleep, go, come, visit, watch .... the way what you want. that is why some used the word 'refreshing' and other may use different words.

This is so true, almost everybody (who is not single anymore since many years) will say 'I do remember how good it was when I was single...'.

The most pertinent reason of that comment is not being in trouble with partner but probably because of extended responsibilities raised directly or indirectly from partnership (taking care of other's sleep time ,... kids....).

Anyway, wish you good time until you are single and I wish you wonderful time after your 'not being single anymore' time too.
zbale
mshafiq wrote:
Being a single is a gift. Being together with a good/real partner is a blessing.
If someone is single and still meets someone, i should better be quite.
However if being single means not having intimacy time with someone else, is really not better than being with spouse.

However in any definition, all the people would probably agree (and have agreed) that being single means you eat, drink, sleep, go, come, visit, watch .... the way what you want. that is why some used the word 'refreshing' and other may use different words.

This is so true, almost everybody (who is not single anymore since many years) will say 'I do remember how good it was when I was single...'.

The most pertinent reason of that comment is not being in trouble with partner but probably because of extended responsibilities raised directly or indirectly from partnership (taking care of other's sleep time ,... kids....).

Anyway, wish you good time until you are single and I wish you wonderful time after your 'not being single anymore' time too.

Very true. We can both enjoy a wonderful relationship and have fond memories of the times we watched three movies a day, etc.