FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes

menino
Please note that this is not a post against Islam.
Its just funny to note that religious leaders blame others for natural disasters.
I do know that some disasters MAY be caused by humans, such as probably the hotter climates we face these days, which meteorologists blame on global warming.
On that note, global warming is causing women to wear lesser clothes. Laughing .... which is then the main cause of other disasters. :p

More on the news here :-
Quote:
By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI, Associated Press Writer Scheherezade Faramarzi, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 19, 1:35 pm ET
BEIRUT A senior Iranian cleric says women who wear immodest clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes.

Iran is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries, and the cleric's unusual explanation for why the earth shakes follows a prediction by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that a quake is certain to hit Tehran and that many of its 12 million inhabitants should relocate.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

Women in the Islamic Republic are required by law to cover from head to toe, but many, especially the young, ignore some of the more strict codes and wear tight coats and scarves pulled back that show much of the hair.

"What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble?" Sedighi asked during a prayer sermon Friday. "There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes."

Seismologists have warned for at least two decades that it is likely the sprawling capital will be struck by a catastrophic quake in the near future.

Some experts have even suggested Iran should move its capital to a less seismically active location. Tehran straddles scores of fault lines, including one more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) long, though it has not suffered a major quake since 1830.

In 2003, a powerful earthquake hit the southern city of Bam, killing 31,000 people about a quarter of that city's population and destroying its ancient mud-built citadel.

"A divine authority told me to tell the people to make a general repentance. Why? Because calamities threaten us," Sedighi said.

Referring to the violence that followed last June's disputed presidential election, he said, "The political earthquake that occurred was a reaction to some of the actions (that took place). And now, if a natural earthquake hits Tehran, no one will be able to confront such a calamity but God's power, only God's power. ... So let's not disappoint God."

The Iranian government and its security forces have been locked in a bloody battle with a large opposition movement that accuses Ahmadinejad of winning last year's vote by fraud.

Ahmadinejad made his quake prediction two weeks ago but said he could not give an exact date. He acknowledged that he could not order all of Tehran's 12 million people to evacuate. "But provisions have to be made. ... At least 5 million should leave Tehran so it is less crowded," the president said.

Minister of Welfare and Social Security Sadeq Mahsooli said prayers and pleas for forgiveness were the best "formulas to repel earthquakes."

"We cannot invent a system that prevents earthquakes, but God has created this system and that is to avoid sins, to pray, to seek forgiveness, pay alms and self-sacrifice," Mahsooli said.

HalfBloodPrince
So is that post blank or is the page just not loading well for me. Confused
deanhills
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
So is that post blank or is the page just not loading well for me. Confused
That actually happened to me a few postings ago as well. I then discovered that it had to do with the [url] I was using, as when I deleted it, the posting made its appearance again.

Anyway, I also noted that article about an Iranian cleric thinking women who are "loose" can cause quakes. Maybe to that cleric perhaps .... Laughing

Quote:
Iranian cleric blames quakes on promiscuous women

More than 25,000 people died in the Bam quake
Women who wear revealing clothing and behave promiscuously are to blame for earthquakes, an Iranian cleric says.

Hojjat ol-eslam Kazem Sediqi, the acting Friday prayer leader in Tehran, said women should stick to strict codes of modesty to protect themselves.

"Many women who do not dress modestly lead young men astray and spread adultery in society which increases earthquakes," he explained.

Tens of thousands of people have died in Iran earthquakes in the last decade.

Mr Sediqi was delivering a televised sermon at the Tehran University campus mosque last Friday on the need for a "general repentance" by Iranians when he warned of a "prevalence of degeneracy".

"What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble? There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes," he said.

BBC News
c'tair
That news article made me facepalm so hard I think I lobotomized myself in the process. This is why we can't have nice things.

This is why religion tells us that tectonic plates adhere to the sex lives of people...? Wow. That's very egocentic of him, thinking that earth actually reacts to people's sex and not the sex of millions of other animals. But whatever, the cleric needed a propaganda tool, didn't he? And all the uneducated will follow his words.
ocalhoun
c'tair wrote:
That news article made me facepalm so hard I think I lobotomized myself in the process. This is why we can't have nice things.

This is why religion tells us that tectonic plates adhere to the sex lives of people...? Wow. That's very egocentic of him, thinking that earth actually reacts to people's sex and not the sex of millions of other animals. But whatever, the cleric needed a propaganda tool, didn't he? And all the uneducated will follow his words.

Ah, but there's another horrible assertion there:
deanhills wrote:
Quote:
"Many women who do not dress modestly lead young men astray and spread adultery in society

Why is it only the women are responsible for the adultery, and the resultant earthquakes?
Were the men not willing participants?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Why is it only the women are responsible for the adultery, and the resultant earthquakes? Were the men not willing participants?
Totally agreed. For me this is a case of the lady (the cleric) protesting too much. Promiscuous being in the eye of the beholder.
menino
Thanks Deanhills for the tip. I removed the URL, and it started working.

But its sad that they are blaming women on a global level.
deanhills
menino wrote:
Thanks Deanhills for the tip. I removed the URL, and it started working.

But its sad that they are blaming women on a global level.
The sad part for me is that it gives Islam a bad name. I'm almost certain that the majority of Iranians would not agree with this cleric. Also sad, as I can imagine husbands who are abusing their women probably now think they are fully justified in what they are doing. Their "acts of punishment" have indirectly been blessed by a cleric.
coolclay
It's so horrible when so called "leaders" of religious entities blame others for natural disasters. We all know that all religions (not just Islam) do the same thing. I mean remember when the Christian crazies blamed 9/11, and Katrina on the homos. It infuriates mean that these leaders inflame and encourage others to perpetuate such hateful assertions. What will it take another? Another holocaust or other genocide, or other "cide" for people to wake up and see what we are doing to each other.
gandalfthegrey
Ignorance does not know colour, race, gender, age, or religion. This cleric is just the islamic version of Pat Robertson (a supposed or self-proclaimed Christian), who claimed that the Haitian Earthquake was caused by the Haitian people making a deal with the devil by practicing voodoo and animist religions.
menino
Yes, even Christian evangelists and self-proclaimed prophets are using religion to market their fantasies and ideas.
It is sad that such people are manipulating people's minds.
There are worse places otherwise that would have been prone to disasters.
paul_indo
There seems to be religious fruitcakes everywhere these days. Fortunately the western world is not ruled by these nutters "yet".
I feel sorry for the Iranians and others who risk their lives if they argue publicly against these crazy ideas and even have to put up with government based on such crazy thinking.
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
There seems to be religious fruitcakes everywhere these days. Fortunately the western world is not ruled by these nutters "yet".
I feel sorry for the Iranians and others who risk their lives if they argue publicly against these crazy ideas and even have to put up with government based on such crazy thinking.
Perhaps "fruitcakes" are not only amongst the religious. There are quite a few politicians and rulers in the western who have been referred to as "fruitcakes". Smile

Refer: http://www.jeffreytitfordmep.co.uk/news/data/upimages/junenewsletter.pdf
paul_indo
Quote:
Perhaps "fruitcakes" are not only amongst the religious. There are quite a few politicians and rulers in the western who have been referred to as "fruitcakes". Smile

True Deanhills but it's certainly the religious fruitcakes getting the headlines in recent times and I would argue that they are probably the most dangerous as they usually claim to represent an infallible god who can not be dissagreed with.
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
Quote:

True Deanhills but it's certainly the religious fruitcakes getting the headlines in recent times and I would argue that they are probably the most dangerous as they usually claim to represent an infallible god who can not be dissagreed with.
The politicians aren't much different though. And they are equally dangerous, including attacking other countries, and making war on one another. They just do in in great style however, people have been brainwashed so much over decades of being indoctrinated, that it is the Government's right to get people to pay taxes and it is the patriotic duty of its young citizens to fight wars in foreign countries. Same difference. Presentation of a "democracy" just looks more attractive for those who think they are living in democratic countries.