FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What should I add to this..

speeDemon
I'm trying to make a 3rd party website for my school, and heres what I've got so far..

What can/should I add?
I'm not talking about links and buttons, and the logo,.. I've just started to make this page, and so I'm going to add whole lot of buttons and links later.. I'm talking about the color schemes and any new additions to the divisions on the page..

I'm going to add a updates or news box in the right hand side, which will basically loop some text...
Hogwarts
The colours should be changed to be light, not dark. School-related sites aren't meant to look like video game clan sites, they're meant to look sophisticated and perhaps, for use of a more recent word, 'trendy' -- look at how Facebook's done that cleanly. That's what I would start out changing
meep
Hogwarts wrote:
The colours should be changed to be light, not dark. School sites aren't meant to look 'cool', they're meant to look sophisticated and perhaps, for use of a more recent word, 'trendy'. That's what I would start out changing

that, and maybe add a sidebar to the right containing school news etc.
deanhills
I like the dark grey horizontal bar with the green buttons in it. Maybe you could put all your buttons on it horizontally. And then have the rest of the background white, and if there is a sidebar, with a light grey screen.
speeDemon
Hogwarts wrote:
The colours should be changed to be light, not dark. School-related sites aren't meant to look like video game clan sites, they're meant to look sophisticated and perhaps, for use of a more recent word, 'trendy' -- look at how Facebook's done that cleanly. That's what I would start out changing

I guess I just got bored of White backgrounds... And using any other background(other than black and white) doesn't look like a good option... I'm thinking about making 2 themes.. though i'm not quite sure how i'm going to do that...(probably copy all the pages with a new template applied)

As for the green buttons.. well, that wasn't really a button, if you read it, it says songs, and in front of it is a play and next button, basically it's a mp3 player. Plus, once I make the background white these grey sidebars are going out I guess.. lets see..

Also, do you like the faded logos in the bottom right corner?
But I'll take all the suggestions into considertion, and make some new changes, and post a new image, please come back next time, and give me some more tips!
Ghost Rider103
Light themed websites do not have to be boring. I know plenty of websites that have a white background that are quite good. They are a different style. Not every website has to have all kinds of design elements and be a giant attention getter. Some websites need people to focus on content only. A lot of design elements take a users attention away from the main point of the website, the content.

I personally would stay away from the bevel and emboss. It looks extremely cheesy when used incorrectly.

If you're going to use a white background but don't want it to look "boring", use more design elements in the website to grab attention. But don't make them totally useless and just an attention getter. Make them have a point. If they grab the eye, make sure it's supposed to grab the eye. Unless it's a personal design portfolio or such, but I'm talking about the current project for the school...

I personally agree that you should go with a lighter layout it being a school website.

Take a look at other websites and get ideas if you can't think of any yourself. Don't steal ideas. Take them and modify them in your own creative, unique way.
speeDemon
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Light themed websites do not have to be boring. I know plenty of websites that have a white background that are quite good. They are a different style. Not every website has to have all kinds of design elements and be a giant attention getter. Some websites need people to focus on content only. A lot of design elements take a users attention away from the main point of the website, the content.

I personally would stay away from the bevel and emboss. It looks extremely cheesy when used incorrectly.

If you're going to use a white background but don't want it to look "boring", use more design elements in the website to grab attention. But don't make them totally useless and just an attention getter. Make them have a point. If they grab the eye, make sure it's supposed to grab the eye. Unless it's a personal design portfolio or such, but I'm talking about the current project for the school...

I personally agree that you should go with a lighter layout it being a school website.

Take a look at other websites and get ideas if you can't think of any yourself. Don't steal ideas. Take them and modify them in your own creative, unique way.

wow, I just got inspired! Very Happy thanks. //\\
Ghost Rider103
You're welcome!

Good luck, I hope to see the final product.