FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is a template? Which one to use?

speeDemon
You may have just read the title and started laughing at me! But well.. I'm a bit confused.

I wanted to make a website in which you have a so called 'template' which can be 'applied' to all the pages of the website and if I ever change anything in this template, all of the pages will experience this change, and voila, you can change the logo, color scheme etc. of your website within seconds(which most/all of you do, I believe)

Till a few moments earlier, I thought that this 'template' was just a page, with different divisions and some loded graphic files here and there, such as the logo... but when I opened dreamweaver and choosed an old template and selected it, it gave me a 'save as' box, where the extension of the file was '.html', In the same folder it had created some small graphic files(Navigation bar end, and stuff like that) and there was a '.css' file. I thought that this may be the template, but when I opened it (in dreamwewaver) it just gave me some coding, without any option of Seeing the actual result.

So, what is this template? Was it the html file? or was that file just a new html file with the template applied to it.

With that sorted out, there was another thing.
How do I make a flash template? I do have Adobe flash CS4, and I think I'm god enough to make a good template with it, but flash files are .swf files(when exported) and they can't be edited. So, If i make a flash file and embed it in any HTML page, then it will not let me edit it, so how can I make a whole page with flash, and then use it as a template??

thanks //\\
meep
well css stands for cascading style sheets, so the style of things is defined in the css file
example:
Code:

#bluebox {
          width: 500px;
          height: 500px;
          background: #00FF00;
}

this defines the style for and element with the id "bluebox" (in css you can use normal tags, for example td { style }, class styles .class { style }, and id style #id { style })

basically if you want to make this blue box visible on the page, you would do <div id="bluebox"></div>.

you could also do <div style="width: 500px; height: 500px; background: #00FF00;"></div> to define the style of the div, but this makes the code look really cluttered so usually css is used. (unless there is a different reason like one link needing a different color, but that can also be done in css).

so basically html is where you put the content, using css to give it a nice look =]

(I'm not really good in explaining but i hope you get what i mean:D) [/code]
deanhills
meep wrote:
Your explanation was excellent. I think I learned for the first time what css really is about.
apple
deanhills wrote:
meep wrote:
Your explanation was excellent. I think I learned for the first time what css really is about.

x2, never got it until just now