FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sequence of postings in threads - last posting first

deanhills
I was just wondering whether it could be beneficial to have the last posting that has been made first in the thread, rather than last? So that when we open up the thread that the last posting will always appear first, and then the posting before that next, etc.? Is there a reason for having the sequence as it is right now?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Is there a reason for having the sequence as it is right now?

So that people will read the first posts, rather than just replying to the topic title?
mOrpheuS
deanhills wrote:
the last posting will always appear first, and then the posting before that next, etc.

That would be very confusing to most members.
The way it's shown right now is more or less the Internet-wide standard.

It's almost natural to scroll down a page to read more.
deanhills
@Ocalhoun and mOrpheuS. With the shorter threads, that may be justifiable. But with the longer threads it is more complicated. With the longer threads I always click on the last page where the most recent posting is, and then work my way backwards. For example, in the really long threads like the Health Reform Bill thread there are so many sub-discussions, and I find it easiest to find the posting that started the sub-discussion by reading backwards from the most recent posting in the thread. If I had to search from the first posting of that thread, it would take forever and a day.
truespeed
I think last post first would be too confusing,if your new to the thread and its a couple of pages long it would require going to the last page and working backwards.A bit like reading a book from last page to first.

The way phpbb is set up is simplicity itself,click on last post,and look up to find the first new post marked . And just read on from there.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

The way phpbb is set up is simplicity itself,click on last post,and look up to find the first new post marked . And just read on from there.

Might I dig up my old suggestion of replacing the "" with something more prominent and easier to see?
Ghost Rider103
I agree, I think it would be too confusing for most members. I have come across a few sites that have their layout like that and I was a bit lost at first.

I've also seen it to where members can choose how they want the thread to display, which would be an ok idea. But I think there is more important things to catch up on rather than that.

I think the little icon should be replaced with something else. I never actually knew what that little icon was for until you just explained it to me. That's good to know!

But I don't see what more you can do with it considering you can't really make it any larger considering the spot it's currently in.

Maybe moving it somewhere and making a new icon would be more beneficial. Not sure how hard that would be to do.

I wouldn't mind making the new icon for it if Bondings is ok with replacing it.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

But I don't see what more you can do with it considering you can't really make it any larger considering the spot it's currently in.

At least making it wider and/or more colorful would be extremely easy, and shouldn't mess up anything else.
truespeed
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I've also seen it to where members can choose how they want the thread to display, which would be an ok idea. But I think there is more important things to catch up on rather than that.

That is an option for users in PHPBB3 but i doubt many users choose that option.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

That is an option for users in PHPBB3 but i doubt many users choose that option.
Right. And eventually one gets used to the design, especially when you get past a few months of regular posting. I almost automatically click on the last page link at the bottom of the page, then scroll down that page, and then work my way back to where the discussion started.
saratdear
That would be very confusing. Also, when you reply to a post, the "Topic review" section below gives the posts in the reverse order, so I am reading your last post first now, deanhills.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
That would be very confusing. Also, when you reply to a post, the "Topic review" section below gives the posts in the reverse order, so I am reading your last post first now, deanhills.
Sorry saratdear, I don't understand "Topic review", do you mean the list of "Similar topics" at the bottom of the page? What happens with threads that are multiple pages then, which are the ones that bother(ed) me the most, as if you use the "Similar topics" you will get to the first page of the multiple-page thread, not the last page and posting?

Right now I'm happy though, as I can see the majority favour last message last. And it is really not such a big deal as I'm quite used to clicking straight to where I want to be after all of this time.
Ghost Rider103
He means when you click reply and get to the reply page, scroll down and you will see "topic review" which shows the thread in reverse order.

Which by the time you hit the reply button is pretty useless. It's mainly just so you can see the last post quickly since most people are replying to the most recent post(s).
deanhills
Thanks Ghostrider, I understand now. But that would probably only be for the purpose of a reply however. I do use this function, but find it limited when the thread goes for longer than one page. The replies are only for one page of postings at a time.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Might I dig up my old suggestion of replacing the "" with something more prominent and easier to see?

Making it larger wouldn't work in its current location,moving it would confuse people who are used to the phpbb layout,perhaps seeing as it is a gif image,animating it would work,perhaps combine the white image and yellow image together in one animated image for the new posts icon.

Edit: I just made this quick example. >>
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

So now, if it's white at the time, you can scroll past it without being able to tell... And it's still far too subtle.

Making it wider shouldn't mess up the formatting at all, and it could be much more colorful.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:

So now, if it's white at the time, you can scroll past it without being able to tell... And it's still far too subtle.

Making it wider shouldn't mess up the formatting at all, and it could be much more colorful.
Why not make it animated, but much more energetic than it is right now. For example, it could be dancing up and down, left and right. Maybe also put a little face on it? Smile
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:

It could be done in different colours,the animation could even be speeded up.alernatively something like this. >>
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

It could be done in different colours,the animation could even be speeded up.alernatively something like this. >>

Much better!
Ghost Rider103
Not so sure I'd agree with a bright red spinning icon on every new post in a thread. It looks like something you'd find off a cheesy product website.

No offense to you if you made it, but I just can't see that ever being on Frihost. Especially something that may be repeated in a row. Depending on how many new post there are, that icon could repeat itself like 12 times.