FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Explorer Version 8 Groans

deanhills
YouTube kind'a forced me to upgrade from Windows Explorer Version 6 to 8. And what a pain it has been with getting a patch for my Windows XP first. And then Windows Explorer Version 8. And is it a coincidence that the very day after I changed to a new version Windows Explorer that I am attacked by a Trojan Virus? This is my first experience in the last two years with Kaspersky. I don't find Version 8 that stable either. Any one else had similar experiences with Windows Explorer 8?

Note: Corrected Heading of Thread from Windows to Internet Explorer thanks to Diablosblizz
picking up on the mistake.
Diablosblizz
I think you mean Internet Explorer 8, not Windows. Razz Try Firefox instead, it's much more stable and runs much faster than IE.
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
I think you mean Internet Explorer 8, not Windows. Razz Try Firefox instead, it's much more stable and runs much faster than IE.
Embarassed Right, thanks for picking up on my mistake. I did mean Internet Explorer. I also upgraded my FireFox at the same time. I'm using both. For some or other reason I seem to have always used Internet Explorer more. I must say however, when I did my upgrades last night of both, Fox was the simpler and less intrusive of the two. I'm sure that during my loooong upgrade to Version 8 last night Microsoft must have made a scan of my operating software and who knows has all kinds of cookies and bots installed everywhere so that they can check up on my "malware"!!!! Wonder what Microsoft's definition of "malware" is? Twisted Evil
Diablosblizz
I doubt you have any malware if you're running Kaspersky, but it has missed some stuff.
deanhills
Does anyone know whether one gets to be more vulnerable from viruses when one changes from one Version of Explorer to the other? My Virus protection software, Kaspersky, had to wrestle with three Trojan attempts, almost immediately after I changed the Version of Internet Explorer from 6 to 8. I wonder whether the one Trojan has made its way in, as yesterday when I tried to check up on the Trojan reports in Kaspersky, Kaspersky and then my computer completely froze up. I have not tried to access those reports again, worrying whether that is the right thing to do.

PS: Just learned as well that I can't get into my Webmail with the new Version 8 Browser. I probably will sort it out eventually, as just googled it and it appears to be a well known event, i.e. when changing to Version 8, people can't use their Webmail. I thought maybe I would get a reprieve from FireFox, but ditto FireFox. Recommendation (now that they mention it it probably is quite common sense) is to delete the browsing history, as when one tries to access Webmail it may be in a browser "warp". It worked!
dasli
interesting thread...
jstei
deanhills wrote:
YouTube kind'a forced me to upgrade from Windows Explorer Version 6 to 8. And what a pain it has been with getting a patch for my Windows XP first. And then Windows Explorer Version 8. And is it a coincidence that the very day after I changed to a new version Windows Explorer that I am attacked by a Trojan Virus? This is my first experience in the last two years with Kaspersky. I don't find Version 8 that stable either. Any one else had similar experiences with Windows Explorer 8?

Note: Corrected Heading of Thread from Windows to Internet Explorer thanks to Diablosblizz
picking up on the mistake.

I'm on Windows 7, which has Windows Internet Explorer 8 but everything is fine. Try scanning your computer for viruses. Google can bring up some anti-viruses, but I recommend Bing because it's more safer. (F-Secure says that)
Diablosblizz
If Google wasn't safe we'd all be screwed right now. Google is probably the most safest site on the earth. I think you're referring to the sites that Google redirects to, in that case it is no longer Google.
harismushtaq
I will recommend using Opera as it seems to be faster. Also, Internet Explorer 8 seems to comply to web standards to a better extent then earlier versions. About security, I have not seen any problem so far but had a worse trojan attack on my windows XP installation with IE6, FireFox 3.6 last week. So it is not necessarily IE 8 that is causing the security issues.
silverdown
IE 8 Came with me WIN7 PC.... THe thing I dislike is the confusion... I use gmail and my images would not load. I thought i was allowing it however i was really restricting it. After doing a search in good and ask.com I found a solution... So yea it a bit of a pain
HalfBloodPrince
Why don't you guys switch to Firefox or Chrome? It won't take more than five minutes...
weableandbob
IE has always been inferior to every other browser. Get Firefox or Chrome.