FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

five star jail - UK airspace closed

sonam
What to say. Iceland volcano stops all flights from and in UK. I was early in the morning on the airport but my fly is on afternoon. My flight is cancelled and air company gives me hotel, but this is far, far away from London

LONDON-SHEPPERTON
FELIX LANESHEPERTON TW17 8NPUNITED KINGDOM

Now I have five star (maybe four) jail a place where I cannot by walking to see anything interesting except Shepperton Marine with lot of very expensiv yacht. Few minutes of visit is enought. Wink

On the other hand we are lucky no one is not hurt and better is this then nothing. isn't it? Hope I will fly tomorrow to my destination.

Sonam
deanhills
Is the Hotel close to the Underground? Surely there has to be a Bus that you can use to the Underground and once you're on it, you can go virtually anywhere? Alternatively, is there a transfer from the Hotel that you can use to the Airport, then you can get on the Underground train at the Airport? I would absolutely hate to be cooped up like the way you describe.

Great that your Airline provided good accommodation though. Must be like a zoo at Heathrow right now?
sonam
Quote:
Is the Hotel close to the Underground?

No, only train. But problem is to go anywhere because all time we are waiting for good news, open airports. BTW air company book hotel day by day and we need to wait, wait, wait.... Sad

Sonam
Ghost900
A five star jail. Smile

It sounds like it would be boring but at least you have access to the internet so you can entertain yourself that way.
standready
Well, they could have put you in a one star jail or just a cot at the the airport.
deanhills
sonam wrote:
No, only train. But problem is to go anywhere because all time we are waiting for good news, open airports. BTW air company book hotel day by day and we need to wait, wait, wait.... Sad Sonam
OK. I understand. I can imagine the weather outside cannot be that great anyway with all those clouds around. Wonder how bad that has to be for the health. So better to stay indoors where hopefully the quality of the air is better?
sonam
After I see what happened all around Europe I can say: I am lucky. Four stars (five in my imagination) are better then one star and much better then airport. Internet is 10 Pounds for 24 hour but this is only what I can get it here. On the end now I have time to rest and like deanhills wrote maybe is better to stay inside hotel then walk around.

Sonam
ProwerBot
It's kind of scary when you think about it... a volcano all the way in iceland is stopping flights in Europe. But I guess, if everyones okay who's supposed to be flying elsewhere, that's what their job is.
deanhills
My two friends from Holland, took a flight from Dubai to Instanbul, hoping they would get a train from Instanbul to Holland. However, all trains were full today, so they are taking a bus to Munich, that is apparently going to be a 24-hour journey. Then from Munich they will be taking a train to The Hague.

Another friend with family are stranded in a Hotel they cannot really afford in Dubai. So if they are still stranded tomorrow, we will probably work on ways to accommodate them in people's houses.

A colleague who was en route from North Carolina had his flight turned around three hours into crossing the Atlantic. People were really upset.

I'm thanking my lucky stars I don't have to do any travelling right now.
sonam
I am loose rights for hotel. Now, I must find way to go home or pay hotel. Twisted Evil

Sonam
apple
I hope you can get out and get home safely.
deanhills
sonam wrote:
I am loose rights for hotel. Now, I must find way to go home or pay hotel. Twisted Evil

Sonam
Not a good situation to be in, I have colleagues in Dubai who are stuck in Hotels. Looks as though they are going to resume some flights in Germany, however none yet from Heathrow. What is your country of destination? Looks as though Spain has also opened their Airport.
goutha
I'm not sure that an airport is a five star jail.

A five star jail is a place where you can do whatever you want. Exercice, BBQ, etc. You cannot do any of these activities in an airport Smile
sonam
When Flight Company kicks me out from hotel I ask my business company for help. They pay hotel for me next two days. No one can say when Heathrow will open gates and I start small adventure. By train I was travel to Dover. Then get ferry to Calais. Everything is going super, but when I come in CALAIS on train station I was surprised. No, night trains. What to do? I haven't enough money for hotel because my debit card is not accepted. On the end Cailas train staff give us (on train station comes 20-30 people without train connection) possibilities to sleep in one train. They give us free bottle of water here I want to say:

"THNKS TO EVERYONE IN CALAIS FOR NIGHT HELP".

Now I must go, end of story I will post tomorrow.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
When Flight Company kicks me out from hotel I ask my business company for help. They pay hotel for me next two days. On the end no one can say when Heathrow will open gates and I start small adventure. By train I was travel to Dover. Then get ferry to Calais. Everything is going super, but when I come in CALAIS on train station I was surprised. No, night trains. What to do? I haven't enough money for hotel because my debit card is not accepted. On the end Cailas train staff give us (on train station comes 20-30 people without train connection) possibilities to sleep in one train. They give us free bottle of water here I want to say:

"THNKS TO EVERYONE IN CALAIS FOR NIGHT HELP".

Now I must go, end of story I will post tomorrow.

Sonam
Wow, looks as though you are breaking out of your jail. Interesting experience.

My friends in Holland flew from Dubai to Instanbul, and like you also had a surprise, no night trains, no trains period. They then boarded a bus that went via Bulgaria, Serbia and Hungary to Munich in Germany. They then got a train from there to The Hague in Holland. This journey took them 72 hours and cost them 1500 Euros.
sonam
Ok, now I know the end of story. In Calais I buy ticket to Lille. Here I have problem because I must change UK Pounds in Euros. When I change money I got less Euros then Pounds Idea (bad change rate and provision). Ok, everything for go to home. From Lille I got train to Liege and then to Aachen. All together 24 hour on the trips. Next day I got flight to my destination, but problems are not ended. Taxi was late 1 hour; on the way are two light car accident and one work on the road. Three long lines on the road and long waiting’s, too. But on the end I didn't late on airport and safety reach my home.

Hope the air companies in future will find better solutions for some other similar situation.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Ok, now I know the end of story. In Calais I buy ticket to Lille. Here I have problem because I must change UK Pounds in Euros. When I change money I got less Euros then Pounds Idea (bad change rate and provision). Ok, everything for go to home. From Lille I got train to Liege and then to Aachen. All together 24 hour on the trips. Next day I got flight to my destination, but problems are not ended. Taxi was late 1 hour; on the way are two light car accident and one work on the road. Three long lines on the road and long waiting’s, too. But on the end I didn't late on airport and safety reach my home.

Hope the air companies in future will find better solutions for some other similar situation.

Sonam
Wow! What a long journey Sonam, and also expensive for you. Looks as though it took you short of a week to get to your destination?

I'm sure everyone, the airlines included will now be thinking of new emergency regulations. Just saw a program on BBC where they thought there could be an even worse volcano waiting to happen in Iceland. I don't see it really happening, but probably a good warning for people to be better prepared the next time round.

This is an interesting BBC article on a "Guide to Iceland's Volcanoes":
Quote:
Angry sisters

Eyjafjallajoekull, which is currently filling the sky above northern Europe with ash, is a minor player in Icelandic terms - though its last eruption lasted for more than a year, from December 1821 to January 1823.

The most ominous thing about Eyjafjallajoekull is that its eruptions have historically preceded eruptions by one of Iceland's most feared volcanoes, Katla.

Fortunately, Katla, one of the two so-called Angry Sisters, has shown no sign of unusual activity in 2010.

misterXY
Five star jail.. l heard those are reserved for celebrities? Rolling Eyes
deanhills
misterXY wrote:
Five star jail.. l heard those are reserved for celebrities? Rolling Eyes
Also the Mafia, people with lots of money, and people who are in high positions in Government. Smile
sonam
For me is jail always when I cannot move if I want to move. I don't care if this jail have 5 stars or not, but I prefer height stars Very Happy . Ones, few years ago, I was in Paris three days. I have hotel and food and paid transfer to airport and back. But this is also jail because I cannot walk around and visit nice places in Paris. The best jail (hotel paid from flight company) I have on Sri Lanka in hotel on seaside, with table in sand on coast and ocean few steps from my room. Cool

Next time if volcano try to stop me I will start my trip first day.

Sonam
paul_indo
This sort of thing will probably happen more often in the future. We should be prepared to cope with these increasing natural disasters.
If Katla does blow it will probably cripple Europe for months, preparations should be made in case this happens
deanhills
sonam wrote:
The best jail (hotel paid from flight company) I have on Sri Lanka in hotel on seaside, with table in sand on coast and ocean few steps from my room.
That must have been Negombo? I landed there as well a few years ago, and felt I had lucked out at the time. Cool
sonam
deanhills wrote:
That must have been Negombo? I landed there as well a few years ago, and felt I had lucked out at the time. Cool

Yes, you are right this place is Negombo. Very Happy

[quote ="paul_indo"]This sort of thing will probably happen more often in the future. We should be prepared to cope with these increasing natural disasters.
If Katla does blow it will probably cripple Europe for months, preparations should be made in case this happens[/quote]

I think you are 100% right. I hope the avio companies will try to find some other solution then closing sky. Investing in some improving is better then waiting for new volcano erupts.

Sonam
guggs
We should use this experience to STOP all air travel. We did OK without it until the 20th century and the world wouldn't come to an end if we did without it now. I live under the flight paths for Luton & Heathrow airports and life was SO much more pleasant for my village when British airspace was closed. Think of all the unnecessary pollution that was avoided that week too.
deanhills
guggs wrote:
We should use this experience to STOP all air travel. We did OK without it until the 20th century and the world wouldn't come to an end if we did without it now. I live under the flight paths for Luton & Heathrow airports and life was SO much more pleasant for my village when British airspace was closed. Think of all the unnecessary pollution that was avoided that week too.
I doubt people will stop travelling when there is no air transportation available. So if one considers that one of those airbusses can probably take 300 plus passengers, and that a large percentage of those passengers will be opting for ground transportation, how many buses/cars would that take?
sonam
deanhills wrote:
guggs wrote:
I doubt people will stop travelling when there is no air transportation available. So if one considers that one of those airbusses can probably take 300 plus passengers, and that a large percentage of those passengers will be opting for ground transportation, how many buses/cars would that take?

I am agree with deanhills. I am also living near airport and polution is here, too. But, for my job air transport is necessary.

Sonam
Xanify
guggs wrote:

I think you mean to say GET OFF MY LAWN. Do you want horse chariots back too?
deanhills
sonam wrote:
I am agree with deanhills. I am also living near airport and polution is here, too. But, for my job air transport is necessary.

Sonam
I was also thinking that the alternatives to air travel may likely create more pollution. Almost the equivalent of going back to the dark ages, and burn wood for fire. Smile
ankitdatashn
Yeah, I agree with deanhill, it must have been like a zoo!. I was seeing on a news channel how every flight was getting cancelled one after the other. It somehow also seems hilarious to me how a single volcano can disrupt the normal lifestyle of humans by shadowing the air traffic. How can a volcano be sooooo powerful! Smile

We are back to the iceage friends! Razz
sonam
ankitdatashn wrote:
Yeah, I agree with deanhill, it must have been like a zoo!. I was seeing on a news channel how every flight was getting cancelled one after the other. It somehow also seems hilarious to me how a single volcano can disrupt the normal lifestyle of humans by shadowing the air traffic. How can a volcano be sooooo powerful! Smile

I don't think we are going back to the iceage Shame on you but nature show us how we cannot believe only in our industries and technologies. This volcano don't stop only flights. Collapse in train, bus, telephony, internet, etc. have also consequence of eruption. Some airports are still closed. Human have mind and I am absolutely sure we will find solution for future air transport with ash in air or without it. But, nature is soo powerfull and we cannot be ready for all chain of events.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
ankitdatashn wrote:

I don't think we are going back to the iceage Shame on you but nature show us how we cannot believe only in our industries and technologies. This volcano don't stop only flights. Collapse in train, bus, telephony, internet, etc. have also consequence of eruption. Some airports are still closed. Human have mind and I am absolutely sure we will find solution for future air transport with ash in air or without it. But, nature is soo powerfull and we cannot be ready for all chain of events.

Sonam
Well put Sonam. Especially the part about humans always finding a good solution, if they are pressured to do so, and nature being so powerful, we can never know 100% what it has in store for us. I'd forgotten that the trains and other ground transportation could also easily come to a halt when there is ash in the air.

Have you noticed that the ash started again on Tuesday, however the Civil Aviation Authorities are more selective in what they closed this time round. And they did not close it for that long either. So looks as though everyone is adjusting, and the first time round was a learning curve for everyone. Humans adjust pretty fast. Smile
sonam
Quote:
Have you noticed that the ash started again on Tuesday, however the Civil Aviation Authorities are more selective in what they closed this time round. And they did not close it for that long either. So looks as though everyone is adjusting, and the first time round was a learning curve for everyone. Humans adjust pretty fast.

Yes, I read the last volcano news. Lucky me this week I am free.

Humans brain is very powerful and fast adjusting is small segment of it. I know, in some situations the brain create bad, painful results but in lot of other situations we have good, useful results. Hope this volcano ash will give us some good innovations.

Sonam
deanhills
Looks as though the ash is closing airports in Spain, Portugal and Italy.
Quote:
Eurocontrol says it expects further flight disruptions in European airspace as a plume of volcanic ash snakes through southern France, Switzerland and northern Italy.

By Sunday evening it is forecast to cover southern parts of Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria. The ash, stretching from the surface up to 20,000 feet (6,000 meters), has forced the closure of airports through much of northern Italy.

Separately, a finger of the main ash cloud — centered in the mid-Atlantic at altitudes of up to 35,000 feet (10,500 meters) — has reached down to Portugal and Spain, closing airports at Porto, La Coruna, Vigo, and Santiago.

Eurocontrol says trans-Atlantic flights will continue to be diverted northward over Greenland to avoid the cloud stretching from Iceland to the Azores Islands.
Eurocontrol says it expects further flight disruptions in European airspace as a plume of volcanic ash snakes through southern France, Switzerland and northern Italy.

By Sunday evening it is forecast to cover southern parts of Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria. The ash, stretching from the surface up to 20,000 feet (6,000 meters), has forced the closure of airports through much of northern Italy.

Separately, a finger of the main ash cloud — centered in the mid-Atlantic at altitudes of up to 35,000 feet (10,500 meters) — has reached down to Portugal and Spain, closing airports at Porto, La Coruna, Vigo, and Santiago.

Eurocontrol says trans-Atlantic flights will continue to be diverted northward over Greenland to avoid the cloud stretching from Iceland to the Azores Islands.

Yahoo!News