FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

need a good antivirus

mukesh
I have XP operating system. My Operation system always miss file or corrupt windows. Need a free

antivirus (without paid) to keep safe my operating system. Smile

if possible then give me download link.
HalfBloodPrince
You want safety and security? You want it for free? Switch to Linux Idea
mukesh
You want safety and security? You want it for free? Switch to Linux

But i do not know more about Linex. Currently i have windows XP operating system and i want to security on xp. So i need a powerful antivirus for XP Operating System.
rayxzero
If you are using windows you can try to use Microsoft Security Essentials.
mukesh
ok thx.
nivinjoy
Try the following links if you need free antivirus software for your system..!!

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ [Best in free ones..!!]

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

http://www.free-av.com/

http://free.avg.com/in-en/homepage

http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

And on trial basis try the following:

http://www.esetindia.com/download/free_trial_download.php [Best antivirus in my opinion..!!]

http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus_trial

http://home.mcafee.com/store/freetrial.aspx

Try any of these and let me know which you downloaded..!! Ok..
LostOverThere
To add to the above list, before I bought the full thing, I had quite a good experience with Ad-Aware Free by Lavasoft.

In addition to this, SuperAntiSpyware is a great piece of software.
nivinjoy
LostOverThere wrote:
To add to the above list, before I bought the full thing, I had quite a good experience with Ad-Aware Free by Lavasoft.

In addition to this, SuperAntiSpyware is a great piece of software.

Do you feel these are good ones..?? I have heard that there are many antivirus softwares which have attractive names but they themselves pose a threat to the system..!!

Sorry to underestimate the ones you listed out..But i asked this out of my curiosity..!!
Fire Boar
nivinjoy wrote:
(a ton of links)

Don't use them all! One antivirus software is sufficient. I usually don't bother with antivirus on Windows: an up-to-date Firefox does the job just fine, and from Windows I usually block Javascript and Flash by default too with the NoScript and FlashBlock add-ons. Oh, and remember to remove the extension that Microsoft insists on installing along with Firefox if you put it on that opens a security hole: for some reason Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to enable their Worst Idea Ever™ called ActiveX on Firefox, without telling you.

Believe it or not, Windows does not have a feature that downloads every single virus out there as soon as you connect your computer to the internet.
nivinjoy
Fire Boar wrote:
nivinjoy wrote:
(a ton of links)

Don't use them all! One antivirus software is sufficient. I usually don't bother with antivirus on Windows: an up-to-date Firefox does the job just fine, and from Windows I usually block Javascript and Flash by default too with the NoScript and FlashBlock add-ons. Oh, and remember to remove the extension that Microsoft insists on installing along with Firefox if you put it on that opens a security hole: for some reason Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to enable their Worst Idea Ever™ called ActiveX on Firefox, without telling you.

Believe it or not, Windows does not have a feature that downloads every single virus out there as soon as you connect your computer to the internet.

But without using an antivirus your system is more vulnerable to attacks..!! I am sure in that..!!

And if everyone starts thinking like you then why do we have all these antivirus developing companies and why do many use them..?? And why does Microsoft themselves have developed an antivirus program..??

That is why the old saying goes Prevention is better than cure..!!. So always be sure that your system is protected with a good & best antivirus program..!!
Fire Boar
That's quite true: Windows is better protected from attack with an antivirus than without. Even more correct is "prevention is better than cure". Which is why, if you take appropriate steps and stick to them, a virus can never find its way onto your computer, rendering antivirus software a monumental waste of time that does nothing but slow everything up.

But I am not encouraging the average Joe to follow suit, simply pointing out that antivirus software is overrated.
nivinjoy
Fire Boar wrote:
That's quite true: Windows is better protected from attack with an antivirus than without. Even more correct is "prevention is better than cure". Which is why, if you take appropriate steps and stick to them, a virus can never find its way onto your computer, rendering antivirus software a monumental waste of time that does nothing but slow everything up.

But I am not encouraging the average Joe to follow suit, simply pointing out that antivirus software is overrated.

Thank you for the support..!!
ssweat
dont ever use norton, I hate all of their products, they add so much crap on your computer and make it nearly impossible to remove it(norton removal tool) I use and am very happy with AVG antivirus. its good and simple without all the excess bull.
milleja46
Malware bytes anyone?
misterXY
Firewall is also needed with any A/v imo. Commodo firewall l'm using, its free.
nivinjoy
misterXY wrote:
Firewall is also needed with any A/v imo. Commodo firewall l'm using, its free.

Yes me too using Comodo on my laptop and ESET smart security on my office PC..!!
menino
THe best free antivirus I think is Avast. it was really good and fast, but lately, I've seen it slow down machines a bit.
I've heard of avira, as the link shows above, and AVG, but in my experience with AVG, it did slow down the machine a bit too.

There is clamav, which is free, but is not as good as the above.

Eset is not free, but it is a good antivirus, with malware and spyware checker, and has firewall, with business edition.
welshsteve
As far as paid for anti virus programs are concerned, the best I've come across is Kaspersky. It's not too intrusive on your system, and doesn't slow it down significantly either like others such as Norton and McAfee do.

On the free software front, I used AVG Free for years, but I don't think it's the best out there anymore, and there are so many issues getting rid of it off your system if you decide you don't like it, and there are even issues upgrading to the newer versions.

I've tried Avast which I never got along with, although I believe the new version has had an interface makeover, so not sure how it performs now.

Comodo Anti Virus for me is a very good product, and comes as part of Comodo Internet Security, which includes a firewall etc, and allows you to run programs inside a sandbox to protect your system until you trust the application (beware though, games generally don't work if you run them in the sandbox).

I would highly recommend Comodo Internet Security. Comodo have a whole host of free programs that are just as good as commercial software.
milleja46
Hmm, i might try some of these firewalls, never thought about it though.....
nivinjoy
milleja46 wrote:
Hmm, i might try some of these firewalls, never thought about it though.....

For firewall protection thing go for Eset Smart Security.. I fell its the best in that category.. Or if you need a free service go for Comodo Internet Security at http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/
milleja46
well i'm gonna wait till i get a new computer, i think there is really no point in pretecting a horrible, old computer that apparently only has 1gb of ram. I really need a job.....
Diablosblizz
From personal experience, don't go with ESET. I use Kaspersky, but agree with Fire Boar that they're overrated. I mainly bought Kaspersky for my parents home computer and instead of wasting the 2 other licenses I threw it on here. If you want a good FREE protection, Comodo is the way to go. Just can be a pain in the rear sometimes.
Nemesis234
because AVG is so popular pretty much every virus automatically, once on your computer, will disable it. the only thing that will stop a virus getting onto your computer is a decent and secure browser, unless of course you download it (those cracked programs from torrents dont come for free) once a virus has got itself onto your computer there is not alot of programs that will stop the virus.

i personally don't run any security programs, there really is no point. and my computer isn't important enough to be targeted by anyone so even a firewall is unnecessary.
michel_maia
I use the avira, it´s a good security and ease update

Smile
Rajiev
I think the best solution is the AVAST antivirus home edition version 5.

Its free
Its fast
its small to download.
It saves your A** most off the time. over 99% of the time Smile

I've used AVG, Kaspersky ...etc. but nothing is 100% secure unless otherwise you are using linux. even with linux, you are prone to attacks :p regadless of the price you pay for your antivirus system, new virus will get to you

But hte trick is in fining a good antivirus is NOT to use the most popular antivirus system in the neighbourhood. If all your firends are using one antivurus software, go for another one. This way, If one virus variant finds a hole in thier AV software, your Av software might be able to detect it.
tefa_taftaf2010
i think free programes don't make what you want
you have to purchase a programe to be sure you are protected
I Used Norton for 8 years it's the best as i think
Rajiev
tefa_taftaf2010 wrote:

I Dont think Purchased or free dont make a good difference. I use Avast and for about 3 years and had switched for kaspersky, Nortan and Nod for the same reason as you have told. Thinking that htey would provide more protection than a free antivirus software. But I could hardly notice any difference.

I think Its not the antivirus software that you use, bu the good practises what make the difference. the maiun source of infection these days is the removable drives; USB pen drives to be specific. If you interchange data through computers regularly via pen drives, i think no antivirus software will be able to save you. (unless you are using a linux destro )

What I do is when I use a USB pen drive with a high probability of infection, I reboot to puppy linux, wich boots just in 30 - 50 secs. All viruses are busted in linux platform. they cant run, they cant hide :p

Another good thing that you can do is to use a image of your OS and continuesly use it to resotere the active partition. This way, even if there is a infection, all that would be erased when you restore your hard Smile
Fire Boar
tefa_taftaf2010 wrote:

I love the way every single line here is the total opposite of the truth.

- Free software thrives. Freeware on the other hand tends to be somewhat... mixed, but there's really not a huge difference in antivirus software.
- My computer is 100% virus-proof, in fact I sometimes use it to dissect vira that I come across when I'm bored. How much money did I spend on any of its software? Nothing.
- Norton is the worst anti-virus program ever. It is more intrusive and less useful than a virus. While they both have entertainingly random effects on the Windows operating system, slow your computer up to an unusable state, suck up all your bandwidth and are nearly impossible to remove, at least the pop-ups caused by a virus sometimes have pictures of sexy topless females. Plus, you don't have to pay for a virus!
the-guide
I love avast home edition. It's better than many expensive anti-virus software I have ever used.
Rajiev
the-guide wrote:
I love avast home edition. It's better than many expensive anti-virus software I have ever used.

could not agree more.
Avast is protecting me for years and I see no difference in it and the so callled payed Original verisions :p
milleja46
or you could just use osalt.com they have a good list of all the software you could need and some even better open source versions that work even better
ahnguye5
Check to see if you are running XP SP2 and make sure to upgrade to SP3 because Microsoft is no longer issuing patches for that version. And I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials because that's what I use and I find it to be really lightweight.
Flakky
I advice AVG, the free edition is good enough and works best for me for years. Though I have tweaked it to disable almost everything except resident shield as that's the only protection you will probably need.
Rajiev
Flakky wrote:
I advice AVG, the free edition is good enough and works best for me for years. Though I have tweaked it to disable almost everything except resident shield as that's the only protection you will probably need.

But I keep all the things running. It helps sometimes.

as an example, My Avast antivirus web shield picks up amlisious threads and warns me now and then Smile
mukesh
Rajiev wrote:
the-guide wrote:

could not agree more.
Avast is protecting me for years and I see no difference in it and the so callled payed Original verisions :p

I also agree by this statement.
Asafe
MacAfee.
milleja46
i think he was asking for free virus software not payed ones...
mukesh
nivinjoy wrote:
Try the following links if you need free antivirus software for your system..!!

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ [Best in free ones..!!]

http://free.avg.com/in-en/homepage

http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

And on trial basis try the following:

http://www.esetindia.com/download/free_trial_download.php [Best antivirus in my opinion..!!]

http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus_trial

http://home.mcafee.com/store/freetrial.aspx

Try any of these and let me know which you downloaded..!! Ok..

Lol nice list
about 4 or 5 months i am using Windows 7
My anti virus security_essentials perfect working.
Rajiev
Don't go for trial where or share where.

they are only good in their trial period. Once the trial period is over, you'll have tons of problems.

Some wont get uninstantiated either Sad
andycorleone
since launch I use Microsft security essentials ies free and one of the best Very Happy
Rajiev
andycorleone wrote:
since launch I use Microsft security essentials ies free and one of the best Very Happy

I get this update once in a while in windows update.

But I hav't seen this thing in action, ever ?

dunno its working in my computer or not :S
fr3ak
Use KIS 2011, it's pretty good, I installed in on my cousins and friends PC, and it is working very good for quite some time!
If you need help with it, just PM me Wink
FunDa
Rajiev wrote:
andycorleone wrote:

Load it up once in a while. Its pretty good, especially coming from Microsoft Smile
menino
Instead of buying Eset Antivirus, why not try Epic, @ www.epicbrowser.com.

It has an in built antivirus with the browser, and it is free.

The browser is based on Mozilla, and may be worth a try.

I personally have not tried it as yet, but I've heard good reviews about it.

Avira antivirus is also supposed to be good.
Rajiev
FunDa wrote:
Rajiev wrote:
andycorleone wrote:

Load it up once in a while. Its pretty good, especially coming from Microsoft Smile

lolz, u gotta be kidding me. :p

One of the spokesmen from Symentec has spoke very low of this anti-virus software. but he got the what he deserves when all the other people started scolding him for exaggerating the things and blaming Microsoft without fixing their own wholes.

( we all know that Symentec used to give shitty anti-virus solutions like Symentec end point protection. As a matter of fact, the company I work for still uses it Sad I dont know what the heck it is for.)
FunDa
I know. I had Norton in the beginning, and I thought antiviruses were always supposed to be slow and boring.

Then I used the free AVG, Avira and Avast.

I'm not sure when I'll get bored of it, but when Avast says(through the surround sound speakers, "Warning ! Virus has been detected !", I go "Awesome. Now destroy it. Muhahaha !!"

Its fun (atleast for a while)
mukesh
FunDa wrote:
I know. I had Norton in the beginning, and I thought antiviruses were always supposed to be slow and boring.

Then I used the free AVG, Avira and Avast.

I'm not sure when I'll get bored of it, but when Avast says(through the surround sound speakers, "Warning ! Virus has been detected !", I go "Awesome. Now destroy it. Muhahaha !!"

Its fun (atleast for a while)

Hi FunDa

I have no any knowledge about free AVG antivirus. If you use it then what you fill what is his performance?????
FunDa
AVG antivirus from Grisoft is pretty good. Their latest version is a little bulky, but still much better than Norton and also completely free.

It may not be as good as Kaspersky or NOD32, but it does a very good job.

You can download it from the AVG website.

Avira is another free antivirus, it is also good, but has an annoying habit of showing an ad occasionally that pops up in front of you.

Avast is pretty good too, and has a sleek interface. It also has sounds to let you know when it finds a problem.
It says, "Warning ! A virus has been detected" in such an action-movie kind of voice
fr3ak
I read few days ago that updating AVG antivirus might be fatal for Windows 7 64 bit. Anybody heard about it ? Smile
tamilparks
ya AVG creates some error in windows xp also
FunDa
Hmmm .. That's interesting. I switched from AVG to Avast a while back, but I din't have any problems with AVG. Except that the newer versions were space consuming and bloated and slower than the older sleeker versions.

Only real problems I had were with Norton. Avira had the irritating habit of showing you a big popup ad to buy the pro version(but if you close it, it doesn't bother you for a while).
altafbhai
Kaspersky and Quick Heal
ankur2010
Well...I'll recommend you to use Avast Antivirus Professional Edition.I'm using it from last 3 years and the services provided by it makes me glued to the same antivirus.

Auto virus updation,virus deletion and managing mails are some of the best features in it.
If you need the link i can give it to you...!!

by the way which one you are using ?? Actually no antivirus is bad.It just varies from user to user... Twisted Evil Wink Smile
raneez_n
I recommend you to use avast. Install it and google for free licence key. Enjoy.
superman13
delete your windows and install Linux (Ubuntu or other) Wink
FunDa
raneez_n wrote:
I recommend you to use avast. Install it and google for free licence key. Enjoy.

Install FREE version of Avast. That is good enough for personal use.

Go to avast.com and get a valid free licence. Only if you want additional features(especially if you have a big business and want network security) you can think about the paid version.

Don't look for a fake full version key on other websites
socials
I will recommend avast free antivirus, is the lightest and best antivirus. I personally used it on my own computer
tamilparks
socials wrote:
I will recommend avast free antivirus, is the lightest and best antivirus. I personally used it on my own computer

i am also using this its very nice and quite good
AsadAnsari
i have windows 7 and i am using a cracked version of it ..
also i am using Norton 360 V4.3 from last 1 year and it didnt bother me ..
it is also a cracked Software .. it has a 180 days time period ..
and when its time period is over i renew it ..
download it and try it ..
morkal
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
You want safety and security? You want it for free? Switch to Linux Idea

yes its good choice Smile
kirii
Avira...its free version is more than enough Smile
if you can afford its premium security suite,definitely will be better,it has firewall,antivirus,anti spyware,anti phising..quite good..fast scanning..somemore it loads very fast,simple interface also Confused
brianj
almost every AV is good as long as u update it regularly. The best AV will be : a Universal AV, a malware scanner and maybe, a local AV(you need it to fight the local virus).
AlessandroG
I'm using Zone Alarm Security Suite in all my pc that are always on
alleymartinscale
Some of free anti virus for XP windows are:

http://www.freeavg.com/?lng=in-en&cmpid=free
http://www.pspl.com/download/wntec.htm
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10761481.html

Thanks
Alley Martin

Southwestern Company
alli2000
nod32 for me, updated weekly and malwarebytes
haola
antivir

Amann
mukesh wrote:
I have XP operating system. My Operation system always miss file or corrupt windows. Need a free

avast is the best free available ....
still if you want you can try comodo even that is good and free

Links:-
Avast :- http://www.avast.com/download-software

Comodo:- http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/comodo-security-pro.html

try and give your feedback
pioneer987
mukesh wrote:

I use eset nod32, but I use trial codes from the itnernet as well Smile There are many websites that share them for free without requiring you to register or anything.
mukesh
pioneer987 wrote:
mukesh wrote:

I use eset nod32, but I use trial codes from the itnernet as well Smile There are many websites that share them for free without requiring you to register or anything.

YES I try eset nod32 too this is also well.
anthonythangaraj
For free Go for Microsoft's Free Anti virus "Microsoft Security Essentials".

You can also go for "AVG free AV".

Both are good AV to use which use limited amount of system resource. But keep in mind than dont use two AV at a time. Which will make your system slow, or even crash.
narashiman
Try K7 or Bit defender...
They really work WEll.... Wink Wink Wink
abhizz
The avg is the best antivirus! Its giving a 30day trial with internet and oter security after the trail you can downgrade with full free update.
luciferfawkes
The best and light combination I've used for anti-virus among others such as spyware, adware, malware, ect. to this date would have to be Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. And then I use CCleaner. Try it out, you just might like it. :]
abhizz
Me just purchased a norton antivirus, its slow but features are excellent
FunDa
abhizz wrote:
Me just purchased a norton antivirus, its slow but features are excellent

When I first got a computer, I had Norton. But it was very very very slow back then.

After the free trial finished, I started using free antivirus softwares like Avast and AVG and was ok with them.

But it seems like the new viruses are getting smarter and smarter - faster than the antivirus makers can make an antidote Rolling Eyes I wonder who is the one profiting from this other than the antivirus makers (the paid ones of course)

It almost like the virus makers want to help the antivirus makers Evil or Very Mad
Cmdoo
There is panda active online anti-virus scanning, or trendhouse micro.
flamepjlh
mukesh wrote:

avast, I think!                                              
http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Laughing Laughing
kmontano
I'm a big fan of microsoft security essentials. I've found it to have great results and lifehacker (and others) have all given it great reviews. Fancy that, microsoft actually making a good antivirus software...
andro_king
guys try avast internet security it is great...
mukesh
kmontano wrote:
I'm a big fan of microsoft security essentials. I've found it to have great results and lifehacker (and others) have all given it great reviews. Fancy that, microsoft actually making a good antivirus software...

Me too.

According to my suggest microsoft security essentials is super and I am currently using in my both system.(Laptop and Desktop) Smile
dohzr
I used to use AVG but i have been using avast for 2 years now and its been great.
debaroon
My blind and obvious recommendation would go for avast!
I have been using for yeaaaars and avast! had always alerted me of any malware etc.

_Debaroon
zimmer
mukesh wrote:

for free try AVAST..
jasonmilsont
According to me to protect your PC from the viruses you have to install the Avast antivirus software which is very advance and fast to use.
chicanh
If you use win xp, i suggest MSE, it is a free and strong, i installed and not worry about any attach or virus.
nivinjoy
The final word. Go for the latest version of ESET ANTIVIRUS or ESET SMART SECURITY. Go here www.eset.com