FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


700 march against hydroelectric meets in Brasília (Brazil)





phantombr
I'm really happy to see people with strong name (as James Cameron) supporting the population in just causes like these!

Quote:
Seven hundred people against the construction of hydroelectric Belo Monte, no Pará, participated in a march in Brasilia. Among the protesters, the director of the film Avatar, James Cameron and actress Sigourney Weaver.

They advocate the cancellation of the auction scheduled for April 20 that will determine which companies will perform the work and claim the risk to the environment and indigenous communities.

Belo Monte is expected to cost U.S. $ 19 billion and will be the third largest dam in the world.


Jornal Nacional - G1
phantombr
I found another story related to the subject, I left below translated.
And again I say, if all over the world more people had the attitude that this director has had, I believe that our current problems with the environment would not be so serious.

"The Canadian director James Cameron pledged yesterday that he will talk with U.S. lawmakers about the consequences for the environment in the construction of the hydroelectric plant of Belo Monte, Rio Xingu (PA - Brazil).

The film's director Avatar attended a rally led by Brazilian social organizations against the auction of the plant, scheduled for April 20. Actors Sigourney Weaver and Joel David Moore, who comprise the cast of the film were also present in the federal capital, as well as the Brazilian actor Vitor Fasano.

Cameron explained that the reservoirs of hydroelectric dams flooded forests and generate methane, a major contributor to the greenhouse effect, which affects the entire planet. "Washington should be interested because it is not only a problem in Brazil, is an international problem," he said.

He said all countries should help find socially responsible solutions to solve local problems. "Everything is connected, we are all on the same planet. The winds, sea currents and the atmosphere does not respect national boundaries, "he said.

Director James Cameron also said he might make a documentary about the Amazon. "When I get too involved in a subject, I must express it through a movie or documentary. There is an opportunity to make a documentary in the Amazon and share their words with Brazil and the rest of the world" he said.

http://info.abril.com.br/noticias/mercado/criadores-de-avatar-tem-novos-projetos-em-3d-15032010-6.shl
ocalhoun
phantombr wrote:

Director James Cameron also said he might make a documentary about the Amazon.


Didn't he do that already?

... oh, wait.
harismushtaq
I initially used to think that hydroelectricity is more environment friendly than electricity generated from thermal and nuclear power plants. Thermal power plants either burn, coal, natural gas or furnace oil. All of these fuels when burnt generate toxic gases. Nuclear power results in nuclear waste which is dangerous and and hazards of leaked radiation are even more dangerous. Compared to this, hydroelectricity is generated from natural energy. Water generates strong mechanical forces when it flows down through a turbine. Water gains its height usually through rain on highlands and melting snow which in turn is accumulated on mountains from the natural water eco system. There is a bad side of building dams as it includes changing the terrain of an area, moving people and other inhabitants from the area and a potential risk of flood in case is dam breaks. Are there other reason due to which dams are not good for environment ?
deanhills
harismushtaq wrote:
I initially used to think that hydroelectricity is more environment friendly than electricity generated from thermal and nuclear power plants. Thermal power plants either burn, coal, natural gas or furnace oil. All of these fuels when burnt generate toxic gases. Nuclear power results in nuclear waste which is dangerous and and hazards of leaked radiation are even more dangerous. Compared to this, hydroelectricity is generated from natural energy. Water generates strong mechanical forces when it flows down through a turbine. Water gains its height usually through rain on highlands and melting snow which in turn is accumulated on mountains from the natural water eco system. There is a bad side of building dams as it includes changing the terrain of an area, moving people and other inhabitants from the area and a potential risk of flood in case is dam breaks. Are there other reason due to which dams are not good for environment ?
One that comes to mind are fish habitats. Like the salmon who have to swim upriver to spawn, and probably get caught in the turbines. There is really nothing natural for me about those dams, but if we have to choose between nuclear and hydro electric, then I would go for the latter as the much lesser evil of the two.
harismushtaq
One more reason supporting dams is the Beavers, a kind of rodent animal that also build dams. So dams ought to be part of the natural Eco system Wink
ocalhoun
harismushtaq wrote:
One more reason supporting dams is the Beavers, a kind of rodent animal that also build dams. So dams ought to be part of the natural Eco system Wink

Not all ecosystems, and in the ones they do affect, the areas submerged will be much smaller (and more temporary). They also don't dam up large or fast moving rivers like man-made dams usually do.
Related topics
Argentina tops Brazil for World Cup spot
US Supreme Court rules against file swapping
Frankfurt Motor Show, 2005
In your country......
POLAND 2005 - Police action against peaceful demonstration
The Religion of Peace
USA is blackmailing almost every country
NATO in final stages of prepping for strikes against Iran
Is your country on THIS map?
Muslim speaks out...
Describe your city
Does our government have a right to give no-bid contracts?
Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields
What's happening in Brazil?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.