FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPhone 0S 4.0

misterXY
iPhone 4.0 is coming out! Developer is out already, but risky.
Coming in the summer, l'm not making this up!
http://www.gadgetsdna.com/iphone-4-0-multitasking-on-iphone-3g-and-ipod-touch-2g/2124/
PUMPED! Finally multi-tasking, but now folders aswell Sad
Won't work on 3G l've been told, who knows.
What's your opinion?
Jean-Clod
Well, it's more of "fake" multitasking, but I assume that with all other new things (game center, iAd,..) iPhoneOS 4.x will work, if Apple designed it Laughing
Ankhanu
iAd has me nervous about the future of apps and MacOS as well... if used for it's stated purpose (though it's not restricted to that purpose) it seems ok, if excessively frequent (ads every 3 minutes? Eff-off!)... but there's nothing to stop developers or Apple from inserting these ads into anything they want, not just free apps to help get some revenue for developers. If ads start popping up in apps I've purchased, or potentially into MacOS itself, I will be a rather pissed off customer.

The other features are looking pretty sweet though.
Multitasking is the obvious big thing; even if it's not "true" multitasking, like Jean-Clod said, it's definitely a step in the right direction and appears to emulate real multitasking well enough for almost all users.
Folders are going to be a godsend for those of us with page upon page of apps. Decluttering homescreens is going to be great. Finally adding in homescreen backgrounds will also help pretty things up... it's been a feature of jailbroken phones for years; nice to see Apple catching up.
Improved security and encryption is always nice to have Razz

Despite my iAd fears, I'm looking forward to this update Smile
misterXY
Ankhanu wrote:
iAd has me nervous about the future of apps and MacOS as well... if used for it's stated purpose (though it's not restricted to that purpose) it seems ok, if excessively frequent (ads every 3 minutes? Eff-off!)... but there's nothing to stop developers or Apple from inserting these ads into anything they want, not just free apps to help get some revenue for developers. If ads start popping up in apps I've purchased, or potentially into MacOS itself, I will be a rather pissed off customer.

The other features are looking pretty sweet though.
Multitasking is the obvious big thing; even if it's not "true" multitasking, like Jean-Clod said, it's definitely a step in the right direction and appears to emulate real multitasking well enough for almost all users.
Folders are going to be a godsend for those of us with page upon page of apps. Decluttering homescreens is going to be great. Finally adding in homescreen backgrounds will also help pretty things up... it's been a feature of jailbroken phones for years; nice to see Apple catching up.
Improved security and encryption is always nice to have Razz

Despite my iAd fears, I'm looking forward to this update Smile

Well l was reading it in The Globe and Mail, that Google (Android) users have increased, AdMob researched the smart phone browsing Android is currently 33%~35% advertising is on an Android which ticked Apple off cause they lost 54% of advertisement over since Android launch........... So l think iAd is trying too get some "hey advertisers! we ANNOY our users and they love us, they'll love you and your ads!". Wonder if anyone will make a AdBlock (Firefox) for the iPhone. Also did you check out the Opera Mini Browser? l'm all about FireFox but no iPhone/iPod, but MUCH better then Safari, but links you put as an icon app, loads too safari >_< another drawback. Backgrounds will be nice, l'd love too jailbreak though......... Encryption? About time! l store my PayPal/RBC (my bank)/Contacts/Passwords (l change my passwords frequently) so that's going too be nice.
Jean-Clod
misterXY wrote:
Wonder if anyone will make a AdBlock (Firefox) for the iPhone.

It is not possible, since the ads are implemented right in the source code; hence these ads will only be displayed in iPhone apps, not in websites
misterXY
Jean-Clod wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Wonder if anyone will make a AdBlock (Firefox) for the iPhone.

It is not possible, since the ads are implemented right in the source code; hence these ads will only be displayed in iPhone apps, not in websites

Just like it's impossible too jailbreak it? Impossible too AdBlock webpages?(years ago l saw an article stating it won't change the web, how they we're wrong lol). iPhone OS can't get viruses? there's two l know of, one is associated with Shaw e-mails and screws everything up. PS3 uncrackable? l'm sure there's going too be a way, just time will tell.
Jean-Clod
misterXY wrote:
Just like it's impossible too jailbreak it? Impossible too AdBlock webpages?(years ago l saw an article stating it won't change the web, how they we're wrong lol). iPhone OS can't get viruses? there's two l know of, one is associated with Shaw e-mails and screws everything up. PS3 uncrackable? l'm sure there's going too be a way, just time will tell.

Noo! That's not what I meant, you're going too far! Just saying that disabling those ads is only possible if:
-you change the app, I mean the compiled binary code (mmm, if someone is able to do that, I would like to be shown, so I can disable ads in all those shareware/freeware/demo)
-more likely, you disable (you know, plists,..) ads rendering in the integrated webkit engine, since ads are in html5; maybe they're wrapped in a recognizable block, that could be hidden (same principle as AdBlock), but I don't know if it's possible to do that, it seems difficult to do, since you don't have access to the html code (created dynamically, at runtime? -> hard; created at compilation, and written in the binary code? -> a hex edit and you'll have it; created at compilation, but packaged as separate html files in the .apk? -> then it's easier to block those ads)
-or you find a way to completely wipe the integrated webkit engine, but that would have a LOT of consequences, resulting in an almost unusable iPhone

jailbreaking/cracking any platform is almost inevitable, since there's always a kind of superuser hidden somewhere; iPhoneOS, just like any OS, can get viruses. Even my TI 89 Titanium can get one. AdBlocking webpages is really simple, thanks to userscripts/userstyles, but blocking those ads - even if possible - is unlikely, methinks

In facts, I think ads aren't really a problem, I mean, ads are unlikely to be included in paid apps; and in the free ones, it helps the developer! So I don't know if the hefty amount of time that could be spent to block iAds is really worth it
HalfBloodPrince
You've got to be kidding me. Apple: the one company that can shove advertising down its user's throats AND PROMOTE IT AS A 'PLATFORM.' Then again, they also pulled off the iPad...as I said elsewhere, they could have released the iPad in 2007 and the iPod touch now -- CHECK THIS OUT ****** IT'S THE iPAD THAT FITS IN YOUR POCKET!!! Brick wall

Mad

Edit: This 'multitasking' that Apple has put its blood, sweat, and tears requires ONE change to a config file in the iPhone OS files. It entails modifying a string from MULTITASKING=FALSE to MULTITASKING=TRUE. Apple fanboys -- backwards evolution!
Jean-Clod
I agree with you, I never said it was good. Actually, I always preferred Android x)

(and the change to the config file only works on 3G iPhones that already are upgraded to OS 4.0, because multitasking was disabled by default on those 3G iPhones; you can try on OS 3.x, it won't work)
weableandbob
Hopefully they won't charge for it Kind of sucks that they aren't releasing it for some versions of iPhone and iPod Touch.
ProwerBot
When I first saw iAd, I thought it would take up the screen every 3 minutes but from what I can tell, it just puts in a tiiinsee little ad in there every 3 minutes. It might get a tad annoying, but I would live with it and I'm sure a jailbreak would get rid of it.
Ankhanu
ProwerBot wrote:
When I first saw iAd, I thought it would take up the screen every 3 minutes but from what I can tell, it just puts in a tiiinsee little ad in there every 3 minutes. It might get a tad annoying, but I would live with it and I'm sure a jailbreak would get rid of it.

"Tiiinsee" because the screen is small. In terms of total area, 1/8 of the screen is pretty darn big.
Fire Boar
And every 3 minutes... wow, that's just ridiculously often.
HalfBloodPrince
Does it also display ads when you're offline? Having it store them then displaying them when WiFi's off would be a pain in the ass...
Ankhanu
Don't think we have that much info yet... but I imagine some of it will be downloaded, some of it actively acquired via wifi/cellular. Ads are currently downloaded, built in or periodically updated in-app.
dasli
useful info, thanks
Rajiev
well, its out now and the feartures are definite now.

looking at the Apple iPhone 4 page, i thought Apple finally included everything a regular user needs in a phone this time. damn, i was wrong.

no FM Surprised
no video calling over 3G Surprised
no bluetooth file transfer Surprised
Flash probles in browser Surprised
No true multitasking Surprised

WTF Mad Why cant they make a flawless phone Sad
Diablosblizz
Kind of useless new features, although I've considered buying a iPhone 4 after really playing around with a iPod Touch.
Ankhanu
Rajiev wrote:

looking at the Apple iPhone 4 page, i thought Apple finally included everything a regular user needs in a phone this time. damn, i was wrong.

no FM Surprised

A flawless phone? Probably for similar reasons why no one can make one, nor can anyone make a flawless... anything Razz

Why would anyone want FM on their smart phone? For the majority of users, this would be a garbage feature, taking up valuable realestate inside the phone and some extra lines of code... Phones are crammed full with electronics components, there's not a lot of room to go adding extra components that won't really increase the value of the phone.

Video calling over 3G... yeah, that would be kinda nice, but this is also first generation video calling, that could come in with updates.

The lack of flash is annoying, but rarely really affects my use of my 3Gs. It has screwed me over a few times, but it just means that I have to wait until I get home like I used to before I had a smart phone. Not that big a deal.

Bluetooth file transfers are possible with some specific apps, but it's not a general feature, no. WiFi tends to be pretty quick and easy though... with greater device range.

The multitasking thing really is a non-issue for almost anyone. What benefit would true multitasking give over the fast switching and background running APIs Apple has chosen to use? For the vast majority of users and applications this solution does exactly what they need in terms of "multitasking" without excess energy consumption or tying up additional system resources. Can you explain the benefit of true multitasking in a smart phone versus virtual multitasking?

I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS4 when it was released and have been pretty pleased with the upgrades; it really does work a lot better, and it makes me wonder how I managed without some of the new features over the past year Razz The phone looks better, multitasking is possible (was a pain to close out and open apps every time you needed to check something), my screens are way more organized... iAD still isn't active here, we'll see how I feel when that gets implemented Razz
Rajiev
Ankhanu wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

no FM Surprised

A flawless phone? Probably for similar reasons why no one can make one, nor can anyone make a flawless... anything Razz

Why would anyone want FM on their smart phone? For the majority of users, this would be a garbage feature, taking up valuable realestate inside the phone and some extra lines of code... Phones are crammed full with electronics components, there's not a lot of room to go adding extra components that won't really increase the value of the phone.

Video calling over 3G... yeah, that would be kinda nice, but this is also first generation video calling, that could come in with updates.

The lack of flash is annoying, but rarely really affects my use of my 3Gs. It has screwed me over a few times, but it just means that I have to wait until I get home like I used to before I had a smart phone. Not that big a deal.

Bluetooth file transfers are possible with some specific apps, but it's not a general feature, no. WiFi tends to be pretty quick and easy though... with greater device range.

The multitasking thing really is a non-issue for almost anyone. What benefit would true multitasking give over the fast switching and background running APIs Apple has chosen to use? For the vast majority of users and applications this solution does exactly what they need in terms of "multitasking" without excess energy consumption or tying up additional system resources. Can you explain the benefit of true multitasking in a smart phone versus virtual multitasking?

I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS4 when it was released and have been pretty pleased with the upgrades; it really does work a lot better, and it makes me wonder how I managed without some of the new features over the past year Razz The phone looks better, multitasking is possible (was a pain to close out and open apps every time you needed to check something), my screens are way more organized... iAD still isn't active here, we'll see how I feel when that gets implemented Razz

Seems like a Apple Pal talk.

Since the iphone 1 it has major draw backs.

If you think FM is not a neccesity, Why on earth that over 95%of the smart phones released have FM module ??? Not to mention the new FM transmitters. Perhaps you might come from a country where data tariff is zero, there are wi-fi hot spots all overthe country, most of the devices have wi-fi instead of BlueTooth minority, you can get free (pirated) MP3 loaded to your phone from anywhere and there are NO GOOD FM STATIONS :p hi hi hi

but for the rest of the world my pal, FM is a big deal. and its the major reason I've NOT going for a iPhone 4. And I have GSMArena people to back me up. They see these as

Main disadvantages

Quote:
* Hardware design is prone to reception issues
* MicroSIM card support only
* No Flash support in the web browser
* No true multitasking for all applications
* FaceTime video calls work only over Wi-Fi
* No file transfer over Bluetooth or USB Mass Storage mode
* No hardware shutter key for the camera
* No FM radio
* No stereo speakers
* No microSD card slot
* No smart dialing
* Too dependent on iTunes for loading multimedia content
* Poor loudspeaker performance

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-review-490.php
Ankhanu
There's a little mixing of info on iPhone 4 and iOS 4 here... really, the focus here should be on the OS, not the hardware. All the same, I'll address some of the points Razz

Yeah, I am working from a North American frame of reference... and I can't say I've noticed FM on too many smart phones around here. Yeah, there's shyte for radio stations around here Razz As for an FM transmitter built into the phone; it just wouldn't perform well. It would be too weak and would suck the phone battery, all the while adding bulk to the design, increasing the size of the phone. There are plenty of external FM transmitters that work quite well, using external power sources, increasing their output power and quality of the FM signal.

Data plans here give you an allotment of bandwidth per month, the most common/basic plans generally offer 500Mb/month. There's no additional charge/tariff for using data within this limit, but you do pay for overages... and overages can be substantial, depending on your carrier. If you use data without having a data plan, you're going to pay with your first born Razz
WiFi offers free data use, granted that you have free access... where I live there's almost no public WiFi, but I do have it in my home. Other cities offer free WiFi throughout the city, or certain businesses offer it... and some places have hotspots that you can pay to access. Bluetooth is pretty much used only for accessories/peripherals, though you can connect your phone to your computer via bluetooth to use is as a cellular modem.
Bluetooth file transfer would be a really good feature though. I have done this with my wife's Sony Ericsson and it worked fairly well... though not as quickly as WiFi.

The MicroSIM thing is currently a drawback, in a way... but that will probably change. They're not common yet, but they probably will be before too long. I can't see other phone builders choosing large format SIMs over microSIMs which allow them to shrink the size of components on their boards, freeing up space for other components, or simply slimming their devices. It's pretty much just like MicroSD memory... was a time when SD cards were used in phones, but you almost never see that anymore.

The lack of MicroSD expansion is kind of annoying, but again, it works for phone architecture/size... and really, starting at 16Gb, there's not a huge need for expanded memory. The on-board memory is also faster than MicroSD. I haven't found that I've lacked for space on my 16Gb iPhone 3GS, and I've got about 8Gb of MP3s on there, 4GB of PDF files and dozens of applications and lots of photos. I suppose if you're into movies, they'd eat up some more space though.

Stereo speakers on a smart phone would be a joke. The devices are too small for stereo to be meaningful; the speakers would be too close together, appearing to the ear to be a single (mono) point source anyway. If you want stereo output, plug into some external speakers, it'll sound a lot better.
From what I've read in a few reviews, the speaker performs much better on the iPhone 4 than prior generations, on par with other phones that are available now... the phone hasn't been released in Canada yet, so I haven't heard for myself.

Hardware shutter on the camera would be absolutely welcome Razz

I'm not sure what smart dialing is, so I won't address it.

The reception issues (antenna bridging) is a HUGE design flaw with the iPhone 4, no question there... it's painfully poor planning. The problem is completely mitigated if it's kept in a case, however... not that that's an acceptable "fix" for the issue, it's a cop out. THIS is the *real* design flaw in the iPhone 4.

Rajiev, again, I'm going to ask why not having "true multitasking" is an actual problem? The background active APIs and the illusion of multitasking works pretty well so far and fits the needs of pretty much anyone's definition and needs of multitasking while conserving power and system resources. What would "true" multitasking offer that would make it any better?
Rajiev
Ankhanu wrote:
There's a little mixing of info on iPhone 4 and iOS 4 here... really, the focus here should be on the OS, not the hardware. All the same, I'll address some of the points Razz

Yeah, I am working from a North American frame of reference... and I can't say I've noticed FM on too many smart phones around here. Yeah, there's shyte for radio stations around here Razz As for an FM transmitter built into the phone; it just wouldn't perform well. It would be too weak and would suck the phone battery, all the while adding bulk to the design, increasing the size of the phone. There are plenty of external FM transmitters that work quite well, using external power sources, increasing their output power and quality of the FM signal.

Data plans here give you an allotment of bandwidth per month, the most common/basic plans generally offer 500Mb/month. There's no additional charge/tariff for using data within this limit, but you do pay for overages... and overages can be substantial, depending on your carrier. If you use data without having a data plan, you're going to pay with your first born Razz
WiFi offers free data use, granted that you have free access... where I live there's almost no public WiFi, but I do have it in my home. Other cities offer free WiFi throughout the city, or certain businesses offer it... and some places have hotspots that you can pay to access. Bluetooth is pretty much used only for accessories/peripherals, though you can connect your phone to your computer via bluetooth to use is as a cellular modem.
Bluetooth file transfer would be a really good feature though. I have done this with my wife's Sony Ericsson and it worked fairly well... though not as quickly as WiFi.

The MicroSIM thing is currently a drawback, in a way... but that will probably change. They're not common yet, but they probably will be before too long. I can't see other phone builders choosing large format SIMs over microSIMs which allow them to shrink the size of components on their boards, freeing up space for other components, or simply slimming their devices. It's pretty much just like MicroSD memory... was a time when SD cards were used in phones, but you almost never see that anymore.

The lack of MicroSD expansion is kind of annoying, but again, it works for phone architecture/size... and really, starting at 16Gb, there's not a huge need for expanded memory. The on-board memory is also faster than MicroSD. I haven't found that I've lacked for space on my 16Gb iPhone 3GS, and I've got about 8Gb of MP3s on there, 4GB of PDF files and dozens of applications and lots of photos. I suppose if you're into movies, they'd eat up some more space though.

Stereo speakers on a smart phone would be a joke. The devices are too small for stereo to be meaningful; the speakers would be too close together, appearing to the ear to be a single (mono) point source anyway. If you want stereo output, plug into some external speakers, it'll sound a lot better.
From what I've read in a few reviews, the speaker performs much better on the iPhone 4 than prior generations, on par with other phones that are available now... the phone hasn't been released in Canada yet, so I haven't heard for myself.

Hardware shutter on the camera would be absolutely welcome Razz

I'm not sure what smart dialing is, so I won't address it.

The reception issues (antenna bridging) is a HUGE design flaw with the iPhone 4, no question there... it's painfully poor planning. The problem is completely mitigated if it's kept in a case, however... not that that's an acceptable "fix" for the issue, it's a cop out. THIS is the *real* design flaw in the iPhone 4.

Rajiev, again, I'm going to ask why not having "true multitasking" is an actual problem? The background active APIs and the illusion of multitasking works pretty well so far and fits the needs of pretty much anyone's definition and needs of multitasking while conserving power and system resources. What would "true" multitasking offer that would make it any better?

Wow, Great Defence/ review.
As they say
iPhone 4; Love it or Hate it

So your loving it and I'm ... errr. Confused :p

anyways, I agree with almost all your pooints except for the FM reciever. SInce YOu are on ther other side of the world, I think our differences are quite explainable Smile

And Ya, Multitasking... its True or not, if you can do something with listneing to music, thats ok for a hand held device, i guess. It not like you gonna do any batch proccessing task while you surf, listen music, defrag hard, run a virus scan ... on a your device.

But, It would have been great if they have included a Full flash capable browser to use that great display Smile

I
Ankhanu
Rajiev wrote:

iPhone 4; Love it or Hate it

So your loving it and I'm ... errr. Confused :p

And Ya, Multitasking... its True or not, if you can do something with listneing to music, thats ok for a hand held device, i guess. It not like you gonna do any batch proccessing task while you surf, listen music, defrag hard, run a virus scan ... on a your device.

But, It would have been great if they have included a Full flash capable browser to use that great display Smile

I have serious reservations about the iPhone 4... but I'm pretty pleased with iOS 4 Smile It's an important distinction!

As for the multitasking, exactly. The false or partial multitasking that iOS 4 offers is pretty much everything that's needed on a mobile device, but would fail horribly on a full sized computer.

Again, flash would be really nice, but it doesn't look like Apple and Adobe are on the same plain at all when it comes to this platform Sad Hopefully (for us iPhone users) HTML5 will take off soon and all that great Flash style multimedia will be done with HTML instead and we'll no longer be left in the dark.
recked
iphone os4 not so new for me. Well, I do have an itouch so the update didn't do much. Crying or Very sad
alvarorojas4
I update today and make Jailbreak. Is really nice, love it ^^
The only problem that I have right now is the Facebook App that have bugs and Crash, but Hope that Facebook fix it soon.
ProwerBot
Currently using iOs 4.0 jailbroken on a 2nd gen iPod touch. So far I like it, especially being jailbroken, makes it much more customizable.