FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nothing

phys10NEK
Is it possible for there to be nothing? When I say nothing, I meant nothing at all; no energy, mathematics, matter, etc. A reason why I ask is that a consequence of the law of conservation of energy is that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; therefore, signifying that energy has always existed. I realize I may be answering my own question here, but I am unsure of more complex forms of physics and wanted other thoughts.
ocalhoun
Is it possible? Of course.
It is possible starting from today's state of the universe? Probably not.

The only way there could be absolutely nothing, I think, is if it was always that way.
Indi
The law of conservation of energy - all of the conservation laws - only apply in any universe that has unchanging physical laws (like our own universe). If the laws of physics could change, conservation would be broken.

So it is entirely possible for energy to be created... just not in a universe with constant physical laws, like ours.
yagnyavalkya
Nothing is a thing initself
Magicman
I you choose to accept the theory that universe has definite bounds, then I suppose outside of those bounds there could be absolutely nothing. However, just by being outside the bounds of the universe means it it outside the bounds of physical laws.
Cliffer
nothing is everything...
Bikerman
Magicman wrote:
I you choose to accept the theory that universe has definite bounds, then I suppose outside of those bounds there could be absolutely nothing. However, just by being outside the bounds of the universe means it it outside the bounds of physical laws.

Not, it doesn't.
Ever made a simple mobius strip? Give a strip of paper a half-twist and join the ends.
Inside suddenly disappears (or becomes outside)....
There are many ways in which the universe can be infinite and, at the same time, bounded. Most are mathematically expressed which is tricky on a text forum, but a very simple case would be where the 'horizon' is moving away at a speed greater than the speed of light. This is allowed under relativity because it isn't the objects (galaxies, stars etc) that are moving - it is space between that is stretching. So nothing is really moving faster than c, but as far as you are concerned it is. You would never reach the edge but at any point in time the universe has a boundary - one that cannot be reached.

That is a simple illustration - reality is a bit more complex.
yagnyavalkya
What about Multiverse
is there any theoretical possibility that these exist?
Bikerman
yagnyavalkya wrote:
What about Multiverse
is there any theoretical possibility that these exist?
Certainly. Quite a few respectable physicists have proposed multiverse models.
Everett proposed the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics which gives an infinite multiverse. Smolin has universes emerging from Black Holes and a kind of evolution of universes to favour those with the right physical constants to make black holes...Smile
yagnyavalkya
Theoretical possibility is one and real existence is another
Bikerman
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Theoretical possibility is one and real existence is another

Well, no, it's a bit more than just theoretically possible. Some would say it is theoretically necessary.
We don't have a better explanation than Many Worlds for what happens at the quantum level.....
granvals
You should be study more improve skills structure really happy and building hard work!You will become smartest and better good education and study more improve skills great impressive you will strong hard work focus on your study! Smile

Nah, knowledge is everything. Going to college is to gain knowledge, and land a better job. But nowadays that's not all so true, but still, going to college would provide you an arsenal of vast knowledge that you could later use on your life. It's the starting point on searching for your interests, and a jump start to the real world

Think about it, what if you're really interested in Physics, or the fact about what life is all about. It'll be safe to say that you can do your own research and search for the meaning of life by yourself. But the gaining of knowledge isn't just by reading books, it's by sharing and gaining experience. That's what a College environment provides.
Well beautiful ladies...College is something very important if you wanna have a good job...
granvals
granvals wrote:
You should be study more improve skills structure really happy and building hard work!You will become smartest and better good education and study more improve skills great impressive you will strong hard work focus on your study! Smile

Nah, knowledge is everything. Going to college is to gain knowledge, and land a better job. But nowadays that's not all so true, but still, going to college would provide you an arsenal of vast knowledge that you could later use on your life. It's the starting point on searching for your interests, and a jump start to the real world

Think about it, what if you're really interested in Physics, or the fact about what life is all about. It'll be safe to say that you can do your own research and search for the meaning of life by yourself. But the gaining of knowledge isn't just by reading books, it's by sharing and gaining experience. That's what a College environment provides.
Well beautiful ladies...College is something very important if you wanna have a good job...

Yeah lots if money to work your ass off,but a playground for the rich,that is the world in 2010 hey.
The problem is people going to college when they do not care about theireducation..Since my families a pain,I have to save up money by myself..I am thinking about going to a community college it will help towards bigger college,and is cheap,I will also be working to save up for a major college...I do not even know what I want to do with my career yet...
Bluedoll
I’m limited in my scientific knowledge but I can speculate, yes, there can be a nothing. My simple theory on what I do know which isn’t a lot, would say if the conditions were correct there would be a nothing. Call it neutral, existing temporally and being time and ‘size’ dependent. It could be a transitional state on an atomic level and outside our natural physical space from a larger perspective. If indeed it is possible, there would be a big difficulty arising in measuring nothing or observing it. Once approached, it stops being nothing, inhabited or affected by our measuring tool.
So the idea of even saying, "look here this is nothing," is somewhat a contradiction in that you are saying something exists when in fact nothing is nothing?
I always thought black holes were negative type energy but could be very wrong about that. I would rather think of nothing as a void, neither attracting or repelling other energy. As far as creating something from nothing it would be impossible from a physical perspective in the universe as I understand it.