FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A System Screenshot?

Denvis
I wanna save all my current settings. This includes both system and application. I've heard of something called a system screenshot I don't know anything about it and i'm a bit busy at the moment to do some background research; so can anybody help me?

I wanna know:

- If I can do it manually through the system itself or will I be needing some kind of application elsewhere
- If I save the settings of my system/application, will it need to constantly update (or is there an option)
- How is the saved file going to be compressed?
- Can I manually choose which settings to save rather than everything?
- If I was to re-use those settings, how would I come about doing so?

There's probably a lot more questions I wanna ask but I don't have any knowledge on the subject so I don't know what else to ask.

Anyway, thanks in advance Very Happy
saratdear
Do you mean just your settings or all your data and settings?

If it is the latter, what you need is a disk imaging software. This is basically a backup tool, what is does is create a byte by byte copy of your hard disk that is stored into a single file. If you need, you can restore this file later to get your system to exactly the state it was previously; but if you backup just your data, you still need to tweak your PC to the way you want it.
Denvis
saratdear wrote:
Do you mean just your settings or all your data and settings?

If it is the latter, what you need is a disk imaging software. This is basically a backup tool, what is does is create a byte by byte copy of your hard disk that is stored into a single file. If you need, you can restore this file later to get your system to exactly the state it was previously; but if you backup just your data, you still need to tweak your PC to the way you want it.

Data is very broad. The settings is apart of data. I only want system settings and settings from applications. So yes, data as well. If it copies byte by byte I assume everything will be copied? mp3 files, avi, doc etc? I don't want that. All I want is settings and maybe programs. How will it come about compression?
jwellsy
Sounds like you want to create a system restore point. It's a good idea to do that before making major changes so you can easily backup to a last know good settings configuration.

Start/Programs/accessories/system tools/System Restore
Denvis
No, I don't want a system restore point. I'm building my own computer soon and I want the exact settings as I have on this desktop with my new desktop.
saratdear
If you're going to use Windows 7, I hear there is something called Easy Transfer which maybe what you need.

Even in XP, there is something called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - Accessories ==> System Tools ==> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

But I don't think you'll be able to copy over your programs.

Denvis wrote:

Data is very broad. The settings is apart of data. I only want system settings and settings from applications. So yes, data as well. If it copies byte by byte I assume everything will be copied? mp3 files, avi, doc etc? I don't want that. All I want is settings and maybe programs. How will it come about compression?

If you choose disk imaging, everything in the drive or partition you choose will be copied (unless you explicitly say it not to).
Denvis
If I create a system image on Windows 7 and I use that file on a Windows XP for example, what will happen?
Jean-Clod
You can't - it won't work

you could maybe create a partition on your old desktop, put all data (avi, mp3,..) in it, then image the system drive alone

I tried easy transfer, and it is not great actually, because it doesn't replace files that already exist. (problematic, especially in the AppData folder, ..)
You could use it, but then you'll have to install all the programs in the new desktop. (or you could select the program files folder in the easy transfer prompt, but that's not recommended)
ProfessorY91
I don't recommend the windows easy transfer crap, especially if you're downgrading from 7 to XP. I'm not even sure if that would work. Jeez. There should be software for it, but there really isn't. Its not going to be a simple process to take a snapshot of your system and expect everything to copy over. I tend to do things "the hard way", I don't know if anyone's found anything easer. Use a nifty File Sync utility like Allway Sync to back up to an external drive... reinstall OS, run through drivers.

I hate losing all my installed programs though. If someone has software that can preserve your programs despite downgrading/upgrading between multiple versions of windows... I'd be surprised. It probably simply doesn't work like that. Need to reinstall everything manually, I make a list, and then start a long search for installers. Bleh.

Solution? Anyone?
wowfan
you can try ghost.
just a bakup
visualconcepts
you can try norton ghost, it works.