FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do I have enough RAM

Tony The Tiger
I like to run Firefox with about 15 tabs open at a time. I also usually have several other programs running at time. Sometimes when I am editing on wikipedia, it takes 5 or 10 seconds for my computer to recognize that I navigate to a link when I mouseover links. Sometimes my computer freezes, if I try to navigate to a page before it is ready. I have 4GB OEM on a 1 week old 64-bit HP Windows 7 Hewlett Packard DV7 machine.
rayxzero
Maybe a virus/spyware/worm infected your computer which is running secretly on background taking high cpu usage and as well as memory.
Diablosblizz
I guarantee you have enough RAM. 4 GB is more than sufficient for Windows 7. As rayxzero has said, viruses are a possibility. However, take a look at your CPU usage when doing such tasks as browsing Wikipedia. What antivirus are you using? Does firefox use a lot of CPU when your browsing the web?
weableandbob
It could also just be what's in the different tabs. Lots of flash or video could cause lag as opposed to forums and such.
driftingfe3s
Yeah, one gig of ram should be enough for just web browsing even with fifteen tabs open. So 4 GB is more than enough.

One of my laptops has windows 7 with only 512 MB of RAM. I use chrome or opera as my browser and I usually have 8-10 tabs open and I don't get the problems you do.

Try and use a different browser and see if you have the same problem.
olek87
you should set up the computer again. you said its 1 week old, when you buy comuters in the store there ist much crap preinstalled on this machines. so the best way to make the computer fly is to reinstall windows.
william
Because it's a one week old HP DV7, am I right to assume that it still has the software that HP preinstalls? If so, that might just be the problem. The bloatware these machines come with is atrocious, significantly slowing the system down. I'd uninstall everything you don't need. Also, fire up task manager and see what processes are running. Even with all of the bloatware, 4 GB shouldn't be the problem, but it's very likely that the bloatware causes the CPU to run excessively.

Now, of course, one of the main reasons I stopped using Firefox under Windows as my main browser is because of the memory leaks. However, even with 1 GB of RAM, it wasn't as bad as you describe it.
ahnguye5
- If you can, give us a screenshot of your process list under task manager

- And if you're planning to uninstall some bloatware, be sure to download revo uninstaller and use that as opposed to the default uninstallers that are packaged with programs or the windows uninstaller. it gets rid of a lot of things that are often left behind (registry keys, temp files, etc.)

- Others factors that may take up excessive memory include plug-ins, memory leaks, although it should not be a problem if you have the latest version of firefox, etc. Check out this link: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak
Tony The Tiger
Is it possible that I am just needing to wait for the proper patches to autoinstall?
ahnguye5
You don't have to wait, just check to see if you have the latest version. If not, uninstall Firefox with revo uninstaller and fire up the new installer.
Tony The Tiger
ahnguye5 wrote:
You don't have to wait, just check to see if you have the latest version. If not, uninstall Firefox with revo uninstaller and fire up the new installer.

I was actually thinking about Windows 7 service patches and updates and such.
nam_siddharth
Firefox does not perform well with may tabs open simultaneously. Try using other browser.
ahnguye5
Speaking of other browsers, there's been a lot of talk about Opera being the fastest. You should give it a try.
Da Rossa
Certainly you have enough RAM. This is about CPU usage. Maybe something, bad or not, is having the CPU deviate from their normal tasks.
SonLight
If you can observe the cpu, memory and swap utilization over time it may give you a clue what the problem is. I agree with previous posters that it doesn't seem like you should have a problem, unless maybe you're browsing several flash or video web pages at the same time.

I would suggest trying Opera, Chrome, or both browsers to see if that makes a difference. As for tools to monitor usage, I can't help you there because I quit using Windows back in the heyday of XP.
Tony The Tiger
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ahnguye5 wrote:

I was actually thinking about Windows 7 service patches and updates and such.

Which browsers work best with multiple tabs open. I have Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Apple (I believe it is by apple) Safari as well as Mozilla Firefox. Of course, I am willing to download and install any other browser that is particularly powerful in terms of multitab usage.
william
Try Opera 10.53. I just downloaded it yesterday and it's incredibly quick. Handles tabs with extreme ease and outruns just about every other browser. Internet Explorer is a bit clunky and Firefox eats memory like there's no tomorrow. Chrome is pretty good but it does take full advantage of your resources.
lethaltriad
#cosign on trying out Opera. Just downloaded it and so far its handling multiple tabs much better than Firefox. If you cant find any worms/malware or anything else eating up your resources definately give Opera a try.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Try Opera 10.53. I just downloaded it yesterday and it's incredibly quick. Handles tabs with extreme ease and outruns just about every other browser. Internet Explorer is a bit clunky and Firefox eats memory like there's no tomorrow. Chrome is pretty good but it does take full advantage of your resources.

O.K. so now I have five browsers (Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and now Opera).
SonLight
Let us know how they compare when browsing many tabs. I can vouch for Opera being fast with up to twenty tabs, but I'm running it on Ubuntu Linux so it's not completely comparable. I remember Firefox having used a lot of memory in the past, but I only use it occasionally now.

It would be interesting to see exactly how much memory and cpu each uses doing comparable tasks, but that's a little tricky to measure. If you let us know specifically what page combinations are slow with certain browsers, maybe one of us can try it on our machine for comparison.
smokey4life
Firefox does seem to be more resource intensive then other browsers at least for me anyways. It seems i can never have enough RAM and i know my computer is spyware free i use a variety of protection programs.
Tony The Tiger
SonLight wrote:
Let us know how they compare when browsing many tabs. I can vouch for Opera being fast with up to twenty tabs, but I'm running it on Ubuntu Linux so it's not completely comparable. I remember Firefox having used a lot of memory in the past, but I only use it occasionally now.

It would be interesting to see exactly how much memory and cpu each uses doing comparable tasks, but that's a little tricky to measure. If you let us know specifically what page combinations are slow with certain browsers, maybe one of us can try it on our machine for comparison.

I find opera to be incredibly dependable and fast. However, it is missing one feature that firefox has for mouseover previews on navigation links on wikipedia. I spend tons of time on wikipedia. Thus, I still have to use Mozilla Firefox as my main browser in order to perform many functions.
ssweat
dont understand why you need 15 tabs open, seems extreme to me and it call all contribute to slowing down your computer also too many items in your menu down by your clock can cause issues. I try to keep as minimal of programs needed in that menu. the quick task menu doesnt use memory like the other one does so I suggest exiting all not needed on the right and either moving them to the quick task menu on the lower right or just editing the registry to only startup needed programs when windows loads
Tony The Tiger
ssweat wrote:
dont understand why you need 15 tabs open, seems extreme to me and it call all contribute to slowing down your computer also too many items in your menu down by your clock can cause issues. I try to keep as minimal of programs needed in that menu. the quick task menu doesnt use memory like the other one does so I suggest exiting all not needed on the right and either moving them to the quick task menu on the lower right or just editing the registry to only startup needed programs when windows loads

When I am editing on wikipedia for example, I might be drawing on facts from 10 articles at one time. Meanwhile, I have a tab playing a podcast I am listening to, I have a tab with my gmail account open and my yahoo mail account open. In addition, I might be looking for images on www.flickr.com for the wikipedia article and have two or three different ones that I am considering adding to a page. This puts me well over 15 pages. I might be doing a couple of other things in the background at the same time and need tabls open for them as well. This is just an example of the kind of problem I could be facing constraintwise.