FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Polish Tragedy perhaps an irony?

deanhills
Has to be an enormous tragedy and perhaps an irony for top levels of the Polish military, politicians and church elite to have died in a Russian plane on their way to a ceremony commemorating the slaughter of Polish by Russians. Also amazing that the Polish had so many of their leaders in one plane.

Quote:
The crash of an aging Russian airliner ravaged the top levels of Poland's military, political and church elite Saturday, killing the Polish president and dozens of other dignitaries as they traveled to a ceremony commemorating a slaughter that has divided the two nations for seven decades.

Quote:
The Polish military suffered the deepest losses. Among the dead were the army chief of staff, the navy chief commander, and heads of the air and land forces, who were all making the emotional trip to honor the Polish officers slain by the NKVD, the acronym for the Soviet secret police at the time of the killings in 1940.

Some on board were relatives of the officers slain in the Katyn massacre. Also among the victims was Anna Walentynowicz, whose firing in August 1980 from the Lenin Shipyards in Gdansk sparked a workers' strike that spurred the eventual creation of the Solidarity freedom movement.

Quote:
Air Force Gen. Alexander Alyoshin confirmed that the pilot disregarded instructions to fly to another airfield. The Smolensk airfield is not equipped with an instrument landing system to guide planes to the ground.

"But they continued landing, and it ended, unfortunately, with a tragedy," Alyoshin said. He added that the pilot makes the final decision about whether to land.

The Tu-154 was the workhorse of East Bloc civil aviation in the 1970s and 1980s. Poland has long discussed replacing the planes that carry the country's leaders but said they lacked the funds.

According to the Aviation Safety Network, there have been 66 crashes involving Tu-154s in the past four decades, including six in the past five years. The Russian carrier Aeroflot recently withdrew its Tu-154 fleet from service, largely because the planes do not meet international noise restrictions and use too much fuel.

Yahoo!News
c'tair
That's what I thought too. Why put all of your eggs in one basket?

I mean it was politicians, ok, good. Top army generals too? Scary. Top financial/administrative people too? FEAR!

But it happens, so I can't wait to vote for our next president, maybe something would change in our country after so much time.

Also can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to attack this one. Razz
HalfBloodPrince
c'tair wrote:
Also can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to attack this one. Razz

HUZZAH some Polish kid on his bike probably clipped a Rothschild's arm or something, or stubbed his toe. Piss off the Rothschilds and the consequences are dire.
TEReview
I am interested in what caused the crash. Hopefully will hear soon...
ocalhoun
TEReview wrote:

Hopefully not foul play... That might just be enough to cause a war...
Who would hate Poland (specifically) that much though?
HalfBloodPrince
ocalhoun wrote:
TEReview wrote:

It may be behind any knowledge the public has, maybe he was planning on saying something to or telling the public he shouldn't be. The investigation will follow the standard cyle: we don't know -> no foul play -> possible foul play -> foul play for sure -> ISLAMISTS
Nick2008
It's very tragic indeed, but the mourning of both nations, Poland and Russia, has brought the historic enemies closer together, which is better for both of them. In terms of the crash, it has been rooted to possibly being involved with the adverse weather conditions at the time of the aircraft's approach. The region was heavily fogged in and Russian Air Traffic Control even advised against attempting to land in the conditions, but the polish pilots decided to carry on, considering the president and top-level officials were on-board. Interestingly, the polish pilots made their last communication in Russian, violating international aviation protocol:

Quote:

The final exchange between the pilot of the Polish president's plane and ground control was conducted in Russian, which violates international aviation rules.

The conversation has been leaked on to the Internet.

The crew communicated in limited Russian, breaking aviation rules, as the official language of international flights is English. However, Tomasz Pietrzak, a pilot of government Tu-154s, told Poland’s TVN24 that this would not have been a problem for the pilot, Arkadiusz Protasiuk, as the latter spoke Russian very well.

Source:
http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-04-12/polish-plane-recording-russian.html

The general consensus is that it was caused by adverse weather conditions.

Quote:

The pilots of a plane that crashed and killed Poland's president and much of Poland's political and military elite had received explicit weather warnings before they attempted to land at a fog-bound Russian airport, investigators said Monday.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Polish+pilots+warned+about+foggy+weather+officials/2875960/story.html

Quote:

Also can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to attack this one

You bet they have, conspiracies have popped up that the.......the........ er......... KGB was involved in the crash. Anytime something top-level or major happens, like the JFK Assassination, 9/11, 1 world government, blablabla, and now the Polish President Accident there will always be conspiracies.

I believe that a simple case of heavy fog is enough to justify bringing an aircraft down, this is not the first time an aircraft crashed due to poor conditions, even though I would have expected such experienced pilots to accept air traffic control's advice and divert, I can understand the urgency to arrive on-time because of the top-level officials. But instead, that urgency caused a tragic accident killing all on board, it was not meant to become a conspiracy theory.
ocalhoun
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
TEReview wrote:

It may be behind any knowledge the public has, maybe he was planning on saying something to or telling the public he shouldn't be. The investigation will follow the standard cyle: we don't know -> no foul play -> possible foul play -> foul play for sure -> ISLAMISTS

I thought the standard cycle these days was:
we don't know -> ISLAMISTS...
Wink
deanhills
Nick2008 wrote:
I believe that a simple case of heavy fog is enough to justify bringing an aircraft down, this is not the first time an aircraft crashed due to poor conditions, even though I would have expected such experienced pilots to accept air traffic control's advice and divert, I can understand the urgency to arrive on-time because of the top-level officials. But instead, that urgency caused a tragic accident killing all on board, it was not meant to become a conspiracy theory.
Since there were so many decisionmakers on the plane, I wonder whether the decision not to divert could have been forced on the pilots. If I were a pilot responsible for so many powerful people I would not even think twice for diverting, but maybe someone gave the pilot the order to land. Sounds like a military type decision to me.
HalfBloodPrince
deanhills wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:
Since there were so many decisionmakers on the plane, I wonder whether the decision not to divert could have been forced on the pilots. If I were a pilot responsible for so many powerful people I would not even think twice for diverting, but maybe someone gave the pilot the order to land. Sounds like a military type decision to me.

And so you have another case of these idiot alpha male military types thinking they are gods, risking lives for petty gains. Excellent.
liljp617
c'tair wrote:

If you don't put all your eggs in one basket, people start whining about how the "elite rich politicians" spend all the tax dollars getting multiple flights when "they could all fit on one!"
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
c'tair wrote:

If you don't put all your eggs in one basket, people start whining about how the "elite rich politicians" spend all the tax dollars getting multiple flights when "they could all fit on one!"
That is not really true. There are rules about this in all Governments. However, I agree with you that the Poles did load everyone in for economic reasons, as Poland is a poor country with infrastructure that has seen better days, and it does skimp on its equipment. This tragedy being a case in point.