FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No, that's what I said said, right then. You were there.

Nameless
Listen, guys, I love 'That's what she said!' jokes as much as the next uncreative internet dweller with a fetish for double entendres. But I suspect, much like 'yo momma' (or indeed!, your mother), they may be getting old. What we need are some more original ways of turning innocent, everyday statements into hilarious puns.

I suggest: That's what my dog said!

For example, you say "Last night I killed at least three hundred zombies, if not five thousand." but they say "That, my friend, is pretty tall tail." so then YOU say "That's what my dog said!". Instant hilarity!*

And now, for serious discussion. Do you find these kinds of jokes lighthearted, or can they come across as offensive or unwanted interruptions to an otherwise interesting conversation? It's rather context dependent, but is humour generally welcome or should there be a limited time and place for it?

*That's what she said.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
And now, for serious discussion. Do you find these kinds of jokes lighthearted, or can they come across as offensive or unwanted interruptions to an otherwise interesting conversation? It's rather context dependent, but is humour generally welcome or should there be a limited time and place for it?
Where I am, it is not "she said" but "they said". I often wonder who "they are" and then when I ask, there is usually a question mark on the face.

I like a good sense of humour, but obviously there is a right time and place for it. In one of my previous lives, when I was living in South Africa, good jokes were usually a way to bond with one another, just before a business meeting, or a speech, or at work. South Africans in general have a great capacity for laughing at themselves. Where I am right now, jokes aren't stories anymore, but more like playing with words. Since the environment is multi-cultural in the Middle East, one is quite careful with jokes, for obvious reasons. There is a sense of humour around, but carefully selected. Real jokes are mostly found in pubs and at socials and will depend on the people one socializes with.
loyal
Doesn't "that's what she said!" originate from The Office?

I find it funny, but sometimes overused or inappropriate.

Peace.
Magicman
loyal wrote:
Doesn't "that's what she said!" originate from The Office?

"That's what she said" was around long before The Office, although it definitely is one of Micheal's favorite jokes. I find these jokes to be harmless most of the time. They can at times be somewhat inappropriate; but since they are not normally aimed at being hurtful to anyone, they really aren't all that bad. Although, I will agree, the joke can be very much overused sometimes.
missdixy
"That's what she said" will never, ever get old.
EVER.

=]

As long as it makes sense, of course!
TVme
I personally remember that punch-line from 1979. I worked at a used car lot and all the salesman were misogynist pigs. Funny as all get-out, but pigs. I hear it dates back to WW II. Unfortunately there are many overly sensitive humorless people in the world and if you care you must consider these delicate sensitivities. I can find humor in almost anything.
speeDemon
could someone please give an example... I'm confused. I did watch Yo mamma! a few times, but I don't really know what you're talking about..
eday2010
Nameless wrote:
Listen, guys, I love 'That's what she said!' jokes as much as the next uncreative internet dweller with a fetish for double entendres. But I suspect, much like 'yo momma' (or indeed!, your mother), they may be getting old.

MAY be getting old? It's passed old. Every Internet "meem" is old. A brand new one you come across today is already old because every idiot out there feels they need to use it because they think it makes then look original and cool.
Nameless
eday2010 wrote:
Nameless wrote:
But I suspect, much like 'yo momma' (or indeed!, your mother), they may be getting old.

MAY be getting old? It's passed old. Every Internet "meem" is old.

PROTIP: Read more than a single post before replying. These jokes were around before the internet, and I'd imagine double entendres are old as language advanced enough to have them. It's also spelled 'meme', and as this post should twice demonstrate, even older memes can still be used for semi-serious communication. The More You Know!

Very Happy