FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Live Mesh

snowboardalliance
So I started using Live Mesh beta recently. I thought it would be a good way to continuously backup select folders to "the cloud" so that I could access them anywhere with a web browser. I mean, drop box is nice, but I like how my folders are organized and I don't want to have to manually copy files to dropbox or use the dropbox folder for things I want backed up. So Live Mesh lets me share any file and updates are automatically synced to the server with 5GB space.

My problem is, accessing the Live Mesh site on another browser, I discovered that I could not download the files. I guess Live Mesh is designed for common extensions. I have a lot of coding stuff I'm working on with weird file types and extensions and Live Mesh won't let me just download them or upload them from anywhere on the browser version. Now I can't install the software on university lab computers, which I'd like to access my mesh from.

So does anyone know of a better software/service for this, or should I just hope that Live Mesh will have better support for browser downloads because it's only "beta" right now?
Diablosblizz
Well, and yeah this may be a pain in the arse, change the extension to known file types (such as .exe). If Mesh uses the extension to determine if you can download it then changing it will obviously bypass this. You'd just have to re-change them after the download.

Mesh, I believe, has been in beta for about a year now. I used it a long time ago, then switched to Dropbox as Mesh doesn't have Linux support. I agree with you though, if Mesh had Ubuntu support I'd switch back over as Dropbox only allows you to share the one specific folder.
snowboardalliance
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well, and yeah this may be a pain in the arse, change the extension to known file types (such as .exe). If Mesh uses the extension to determine if you can download it then changing it will obviously bypass this. You'd just have to re-change them after the download.

Mesh, I believe, has been in beta for about a year now. I used it a long time ago, then switched to Dropbox as Mesh doesn't have Linux support. I agree with you though, if Mesh had Ubuntu support I'd switch back over as Dropbox only allows you to share the one specific folder.

I tried changing things to *.txt in the web interface and anything I did clicking the download gave me an error (firefox and IE7). So I'll just wait and see if they improve it.