FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Similarities between FDR and George W. Bush

HalfBloodPrince
This site draws some concrete similarities between the two. Most importantly, however, both either staged or "let happen" an attack on their own people to unite everyone to a goal of bombarding a foreign country. What do you think?
Joshwa
Interestingly enough I feel that they are both the same in that they both brought unprecedented powers to the position of president. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal established the nation as a welfare state - expanding the reach of government programs to previously unheard of levels. The Bush Doctrine gave the president power to attack a nation preemptively.

Most people would probably say it is absurd to draw comparisons between the two, but to be honest, President George W. Bush spent the most money of any president and expanded the power of government more than anyone else has since the beginning of this nation. Since he hid under the banner and false promise of conservatism, he lucked out, and most people didn't recognize what was going on. After all, only liberals can be radical, right?
deanhills
Joshwa wrote:
Interestingly enough I feel that they are both the same in that they both brought unprecedented powers to the position of president. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal established the nation as a welfare state - expanding the reach of government programs to previously unheard of levels. The Bush Doctrine gave the president power to attack a nation preemptively.
I would have thought that Roosevelt had acquired much more power in his position as Chief of the Armed forces during World War II. World War II is what helped catapult the United States as a world leader to start off with. This was very much assisted with them staying out of World War II as long as they could, and their role being limited largely with supplying equipment and materials to the allies in Europe, and of course creating millionaires overnight. The US was thriving by the time when it was forced into war by Pearl Harbour. The present US Government is much larger than it was during Roosevelt's days, and I'm sure the President's powers also much less. Bush was probably successful in getting people to go to war in Iraq, but he did not do that on his own, there were a few other countries on board. One can't really say that he had done all of that on his own. He just ran with the tide. Roosevelt however was much more hands on.

There are of course other differences between the two: Roosevelt was physically disabled. He did not have as close relationship with his wife as Bush had with his, and Roosevelt had a girlfriend as well. Roosevelt had more character and charisma than Bush, he impacted everyone that he had anything to do with. Bush was much more ordinary and aloof than Roosevelt was. For me their personalities are very different.
socceraggie
I find it interesting that you list only two options of what happened: they "either staged or 'let happen' an attack". I know there are a lot of conspiracy theories out there but there is also the possibility that neither had anything to do with either attack. I'm saying that is what I think, I'm just proposing that your original post is limiting by saying those are the only two possible options.