FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

10 Yr Old Girl Becomes Microsoft Qualified, no bs

dodomi
today while i was searching for something completely different i found this.
Quote:

Thursday, July 14, 2005

In smarts, she's a perfect 10
'Pakistan's girl wonder' is likely the youngest certified Microsoft expert

By TODD BISHOP
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Sitting down for a personal meeting with Bill Gates this week, 10-year-old Arfa Karim Randhawa asked the Microsoft founder why the company doesn't hire people her age.

Under the circumstances, the question wasn't so unreasonable.

Arfa, a promising software programmer from Faisalabad, Pakistan, is believed to be the youngest Microsoft Certified Professional in the world. The designation, given to outside experts who prove their ability to work with Microsoft technologies, has also been achieved by some teenagers. But it's far more common among adults seeking to advance their computer careers.

Arfa received the certification when she was still 9, an impressive accomplishment in its own right, according to older programmers who have gone through the process. And others called it an encouraging sign of the continued emergence of women in a country where they have historically struggled to advance.

The situation illustrates "another side" of Pakistan, said Anand Yang, director of the University of Washington's Jackson School of International Studies. "That's another reason to celebrate someone like her."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/232...msftarfa14.html here is the rest of the article.

ok im like completely shocked

this has to blow some people minds, that 10 yrl girl from pakistan, pulled this off, that would have to mean her IQ is like topping at 160-200 somewhere around their. i don't think anyone would be able to pull that off, of course the members here on trap17 are pretty young, but still at 9 she just started here goal to becoming bill gates rival if she could whip out some sick looking programs (OS, browser, video game system:) then he will have some problems, but sad thing is that she will get a internship when turns 15. of course then she talking about going to hardvard or MIT, well with a microsoft salary she might pull that off.
Jammydodger
I wonder what her parents are like, I mean she must have been studying form a very early age to get that kind of knowledge.
I would not allow my child to waste their childhood this way
jongoldsz
Do you know there is no such thing a a Qualified Microsoft professional. If you ever contacted their customer service you won't make any progress. Every time I call them I stump them. In other words they say I should reinstall windows, but it doesn't help. Also, what qualifies a person to be a Microsoft Professional?

Do they need to know how to turn on a computer?
Do they need to be a dropout?
Or use Internet Explorer to go to google even though Microsoft is secreatly using firefox?(A firefox browser was tabbed when they took a pre-release picture of Microsoft office. Then they claim Firefox is bad. Also, they made an update for windows 98/ME which blocks Firefox from being run and may potentially crash your computer)

I think that a qualified Microsoft Professional is :bs. It is another name for a person who only knows how to type a question into the Windows Help and try to resolve your problem based on that.
Jongusmoe
Wow that's odd...
Jammydodger
here's 1 qualification from microsoft, and its hard 2 get too.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/faq.asp
jongoldsz
Answer: Windows 2000 and windows 2003 are not different, they just have different names and appearances. They both suck and are flawed. If they were really good Microsoft wouldn't need customer support.

Would they?
Jammydodger
Sorry jongoldsz but I dont think you know what your talking about, being a Qualified Microsoft professional doesnt mean that you work for microsoft as tech support or somthing.

It just means you have taken thier exam and if passed know your stuff about computers, most MCSE people are on a very good wage with a good job.
And last year the exams got even harder.
LuiS_J
OMG... poor little girl.... wasting her childhoof year in a computer... that is sad... and also its pretty odd and un real.. but well good her.. Very Happy Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
LMFAO
C'mon people don't you see, it's MICROSOFT!!!!, a baby could become qualified with ease and still be more intelligent than Bill Gates!, it's not the girl thats clever, it's the complete oposite, (Not saying the girls stupid just take it the other way,)
Wink
dan751
You know what I think, respectfully I think this should've been posted in the "Discuss World News" forum. But being qualified by Microsoft at the age of 10 is pretty insane. And I thought I had trouble getting away from the computer sometimes. I love computers, but I almost feel sorry for her.
gonzo
Big whoop. that just means her parents are more controlling than mine are. I got my MCSE my sophomore year in highschool and I'm still not old enough to buy beer.
jongoldsz
@gonzo where do you take the test? I am in my freshmen year in high school and since they got harder this will make it more of a challenge. Cool

Also, what kind of person would actually care to know how to setup and maintain windows 2000 and 2003? It is a great waste of time. What is worth while is if you know Linux. Most web hosts run on Linux and need people who know how to operate it.
psycosquirrel
I would like to know where you take the test also...
OutlawSpirit
guess they loaded wit money now Cool
Nameless
Wow, imagine her childhood. She probably has nightmares of the blue screen of death, lol.
kuad
Maybe it's not very difficult to be "Microsoft Qualified" ? Very Happy
yule
Jammydodger wrote:
Sorry jongoldsz but I dont think you know what your talking about, being a Qualified Microsoft professional doesnt mean that you work for microsoft as tech support or somthing.

It just means you have taken thier exam and if passed know your stuff about computers, most MCSE people are on a very good wage with a good job.
And last year the exams got even harder.

The ones that said are good, should be exactly like this.
dragonflame
jongoldsz wrote:
@gonzo where do you take the test? I am in my freshmen year in high school and since they got harder this will make it more of a challenge.

ah the wisdom of youth. It's SO cool to say MS sucks isnt it? What OS are you using? My grampa wants to play solitaire on a computer..can you teach him how to compile the linux kernel and configure unix partitions? no? how about teaching them how to install gimp or yahoo messenger on unix?

How about this, how do you update 500 linux desktops in 2 hours?

I'm not defending either, but each OS has their advantage. To say one sucks and adhere to just one is ignorance.
woodruffs
wow, now i feel so inadequate in my abilities.
windval
wa
what a clever girl
the666bbq
maybe the microsoft certificate isn't harder to get than some cisco ones, where you can find most answers to the questions readily on the net - you can be just a ten'er with some memorie skills (they can train Memory/Raadje Plaatje from mb from the age of 3) learn the faq's and ... bingo
ankhezar
wanna be like her...
jongoldsz
@dragonflame I'm using Linx. You don't need to complile a linux kernal unless you are doing serious preformance updates by hand. You probably mean "how do you complie source?" And you do it by extracting the files from the archive.
If a .tar.gz usethe following code: filename.tar.gz -xvzf
Then it will extract. To compile most files you need to run the configure file: ./configure
Then use : make
Then use: make check
And lastly: make install
And you are done.
(This works for most compiling, unless the configuration needs special options to work properly. Installation instructions can be found in the README file or the INSTALL file.)

Also, Installation cds come with a partition creator and it can do all the work for you.
To install Gimp do the things as stated above.

To update 500 Linux Desktops won't take to hours. It would take about 30 minutes at most with a decent network setup and decent computers. All you have to do is setup a network update and you're done.

Also, Windows is only good for gaming because many games are only out for windows.
Oh, I almost forgot, Windows is also good for wasting time trying to solve the blue screen of death.

P.S. Can you tell me what Operating System frihost is running on? (You can find out through cpanel)
dragonflame
yeah teach that to your granny, or even the person beside you using a mac. And where are you gonna get the updates? Should I go to fedora? or should I go to Debian? How bout Redhat? or maybe Suse? Where are those instructions written after you boot whatever form of linux? All those steps vs clicking on windows update.

You mentioned you talked to someone somehow when you needed help with windows, who do you talk to when you need help with unix? DO you know how much redhat charges for a support call? 800+$. MS charges 200+.

And those little flavors of unix running around, do you think they have the infrastructure to help you when your systems goes down at 3am in the morning?

You dont have to look at cpanel to know this is a unix machine, free hosts and php dont usually run on windows.

Oh and have you actually tried updating 500 linux workstations? My guess would be no. Theres a reason windows rule the desktop market, and why unix runs on (arguably) most servers.

I use unix too but I dont go around saying windows is stooopid...All this crap about unix being much more reliable is horseshit. Unix crashes as much as windows does. It all depends how well you configure the system, and unix takes more configuring than windows machines do. Is that bad? no, that's just the way it is.

Stop trying to sound cool by bashing windows, it's just too used already.
DannyDean
10 YO?! Shocked
Hmm, that definately making you wonder... WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DRINKIN' IN PAKISTAN?! Laughing
kirra
lol 10 yrs old girl . she will defenately suffer in the future . all the time spending infront of the computer .
avblue
Wow. O.O
Dread Lord Chaos
She's gonna be having some preeeetty thick glasses by the time she's 18 lol. But yes, that's a pretty impressive feat for such a young girl in a generally impoversihed country. Kudos to her.
php_wizard_l33t
I congratulate the girl on her accomplishment.

You guys are just jealous that a 10 year old girl beat you to the chase.
Brolly
...yet another "wonderchild".
osssa-cmw
THIS SHOW HOW STUPID MICROSOFT IS:|NeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutral
ronitvohra
Dread Lord Chaos wrote:
She's gonna be having some preeeetty thick glasses by the time she's 18 lol. But yes, that's a pretty impressive feat for such a young girl in a generally impoversihed country. Kudos to her.

Even I imagined the same while reading this thread......

Big Glasses......ha
TimsJugling
thats nuts!
Veckn
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm really shocked...
I know microsoft products are too easy and simple to learn...but, 10 years?!!!

It's a wonderfull child...hehehe
joshua_erceg
Omg thats insane!
I can't imagine her having a proper childhood - I would think that her parents are the control freak type.
Then again, she deifinitley has her whole future ahead of her & I would think that she won't do too badly.
Good for her Razz