FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

secondary HDD slot

Tony The Tiger
I had a 2007 Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV9000T that had dual 120GB internal Hard disk drives. I just got a new 2010 Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV7 that has a single 320GB internal Hard disk drive. I kept the data drive from the old computer and wanted to put in into the secondary drive on the new computer. Oddly, upon the arrival of the new system, I opened the secondary drive compartment only to see that there was no slot for the HD. There was a slot for the TV tuner, that I have not added, but no slot for the secondary hard drive. This seems unusual to me. I have a call in to my service rep, who at first pointed out that no slot was listed in the specs. However, AFAIK slots are never listed in the specs. Any thoughts?
Diablosblizz
Well, you could get a hard drive enclosure which will just take the interface (SATA or IDE) and convert it over to USB. It won't be in your laptop, but if you don't have an extra slot it will work perfectly fine.
Tony The Tiger
Yes, I have a hard drive enclosure because the whole point of having a separate data drive is that when I have to send my system back to Hewlett Packard for repair, I can pop out my data drive and use it on my backup computer as an external. The point however, is that I don't like using it as an external. It is much slower. For example, I tried to rip a CD to the data drive with my iTunes library, but it only rips at about 4 or 5x as an external instead of about 12 or 13 as an internal.
Diablosblizz
Indeed it is slower, as the speed of USB is much slower than SATA. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get the hard drive inside the computer without replacing the parts inside. Some other options, I guess, would be:

- put the hard drive in a different computer and use it via the network
- use a eSata external drive (if the laptop has eSata) and connect it that way, it is much faster than USB
- send it back to HP and ask for an upgrade
- live with the slow speed?

I'm out of ideas. I hope this helps, even a bit.
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
Indeed it is slower, as the speed of USB is much slower than SATA. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get the hard drive inside the computer without replacing the parts inside. Some other options, I guess, would be:

- put the hard drive in a different computer and use it via the network
- use a eSata external drive (if the laptop has eSata) and connect it that way, it is much faster than USB
- send it back to HP and ask for an upgrade
- live with the slow speed?

I'm out of ideas. I hope this helps, even a bit.

I found the right model caddy to put it inside for $40 plus delivery.