FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can Installation of software damage a Motherboard?

AniM
I have a Notebook (Compaq 2000M). Recently I replaced my RAM from 256 MB to 1GB. The operating system is Windows XP Prof.
Recently after about one month since RAM is replaced, when I was installing a small software (Kundli in fact) It installed successfully but as I pressed button 'FINISH' my notebook's screen became blank and black. I tried to restart the N.B. but nothing happened. Finally I have to go to the computer repair shop. They are now saying that my Motherboard is damaged. How installing Software can damage my Motherboard? I am not convinced. Pease help me.

AniM
Diablosblizz
It might not be that the software did it, however when installing it something failed (possibly the RAM) and caused the motherboard to fry. Although, it could also be a virus issue, and nothing is wrong with your computer at all. That is a possibility though.
AniM
Thanks Diablosblizz, for a quick reply. But I am still not sure what should I do! Is there anything else I can do except to change the Mother board.
Diablosblizz
What exactly happens when you press the power button on the computer? Do any lights turn on, anything on the screen? Do the fans turn on?

If the lights turn on, and you can see the screen then it is possible that there is a virus and you need to boot into Safe Mode and try to do a virus scan.
jdelfire
Definitely No....
AniM
Nothing happen. Even after connecting to mains, power indicator light remains off means there is no indication of life in the Notebook.
Diablosblizz
Just trying to eliminate possibilities..

When you try to turn on the computer, is the battery in the notebook? Try taking it out and connecting JUST to power completely. If that doesn't work then I would say either faulty power unit or indeed your motherboard.
sonam
Did you check your AC adapter? Maybe is problem in adapter not in computer. If battery is empty then you cannot boot your computer at all.

Sonam
AniM
I changed the AC adopter and tried to boot but no success. I also tried to start without batteries directly with AC adopter but it failed to start. I have another question what exactly happen to Motherboard when it fails.
Marcuzzo
AniM wrote:
I have a Notebook (Compaq 2000M). Recently I replaced my RAM from 256 MB to 1GB. The operating system is Windows XP Prof.
Recently after about one month since RAM is replaced, when I was installing a small software (Kundli in fact) It installed successfully but as I pressed button 'FINISH' my notebook's screen became blank and black. I tried to restart the N.B. but nothing happened. Finally I have to go to the computer repair shop. They are now saying that my Motherboard is damaged. How installing Software can damage my Motherboard? I am not convinced. Pease help me.

AniM

I'm guessing you broke something when you replaced the memory and the fact that it crashed after hitting finish is a mere coincidence.
did you try to put the old RAM back in the slots?
ProfessorY91
You most likely shorted your motherboard somehow. It doesn't necessarily have to be tied to RAM installation or anything like that at all. Could have been a power surge, you not discharging static electricity, or a manufacturing defect. If indeed a qualified repair shop recommended replacing the motherboard, and you see no signs of life on a computer that was fried with partial battery charge, AND the computer is inoperational and unresponsive after plugging it in with a wall charger, you probably do have to go replace the motherboard. However, your hard drive should still be intact and all your files there!
mukesh
i think problem on your hard disk or ram too so if possible then try to change and check it then after u change motherboard.
AniM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions I got. Finally I handed over my Notebook to a repairman. He somehow declared that my Power IC is defective. It is replaced and now my Notebook is working again. My files are intact. Battery is OK.
Now the problem is over for the time being!
Thanks again!
AniM
Smile