FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to install windows 7 ON external heard drive

ankur209
Is it possible to install windows 7 ON external heard drive(IDE in casing with USB2 connectivity)
here i am not askinng to install from external drive but to an external drive .
rickylau
Is that just like Installing Windows XP in USB drive? IMO you can at least "start" the Windows in external drive as soon as your computer supports booting by USB storage, but it does not mean you can "use" it, or "use" it on every other computers due to hardware issues (e.g. Installed Windows XP on computer with Intel CPU, then move the hard disk to another one with AMD CPU, and it is certainly unusable, I didn't tried something like this for Windows 7 though, it should be the same I believe.)
Jean-Clod
I tried, and it didn't work
In facts, I first opened the external hard drive, plugged it in a desktop (via SATA), and installed normally Windows 7 on it. Then, When I tried booting on that hard drive (via USB), it fails each time, at the loading of the drivers. It seems like the hard drive is turned off, and then it BSODs.

MacOS didn't have this problem! Linux neither Razz (ok, troll)
Jamestf347
Yeah it's possible, basically plug in the usb when you put in the cd. After that pretty much go through the installation, but make sure you have selected your hard drive. Theres also a way where you can put your main operating system on your computer and another on your external, check for programs to assist this.
Jean-Clod
You can't install Windows on a usb drive, it's not available in the install prompt
ProfessorY91
Jean-Clod wrote:
You can't install Windows on a usb drive, it's not available in the install prompt

Someone quoted a thread on this topic which I started. You can install Windows on a flash drive and run it too. Whether or not its available in the options doesn't matter at all. Tutorials: Solutions Base Article or Ngine Article.

I imagine that you can run windows from an external hard drive, the trouble would be getting the boot menu to recognize the external hard drive as a bootable device. Note that USB's are recognized as bootable devices, so if you have say... an 8GB USB stick, it would serve your purposes well to use that as your installation target, and then use your external hard drive as you see fit.
Jean-Clod
I know, that's what I said above: there's a lot of ways to install Windows (7) to a USB drive, but at the first loading, it won't work, it will BSOD, because even if you booted on a USB drive (limited by the mobo), all USB devices will be shut down when Windows (7) will load the USB drivers.

All the links you shared talk about Windows XP. I tried long ago, and I agree, it works. Now, when I try with Windows 7, it doesn't work, and I think the explanation I gave is viable
(Or maybe my mobo is special, I don't know, but that's what I get)

EDIT:
ProfessorY91 wrote:
I imagine that you can run windows from an external hard drive, the trouble would be getting the boot menu to recognize the external hard drive as a bootable device. Note that USB's are recognized as bootable devices, so if you have say... an 8GB USB stick, it would serve your purposes well to use that as your installation target, and then use your external hard drive as you see fit.

In facts, that's one of the easiest parts: you just have to mark the USB drive's partition active, then inject bootloader code (bootsect utility, "/nt60" arg)
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Jean-Clod wrote:

Someone quoted a thread on this topic which I started. You can install Windows on a flash drive and run it too. Whether or not its available in the options doesn't matter at all. Tutorials: Solutions Base Article or Ngine Article.

If one has Windows 7 on your Flash Disk and you accessed it, would there be any problem if you used your local drive at the same time, in effect jumping from Windows 7 on a Flash Disk to Windows XP on the hard drive of your computer?
guissmo
How about Linux? Or other operating systems? Can they be installed in an external hard drive? And does one have to reformat the drive to get it in?
Jean-Clod
You can install every (I think, at least all Ubuntu-based) Linux distro on a usb drive (there's even some that are dedicated to flash drives, DamnSmallLinux, etc..); MacOSX is also installable to an external hard drive, and it works, but it's very complicated to do
Fire Boar
Jean-Clod wrote:
You can install every (I think, at least all Ubuntu-based) Linux distro on a usb drive (there's even some that are dedicated to flash drives, DamnSmallLinux, etc..); MacOSX is also installable to an external hard drive, and it works, but it's very complicated to do

Yep, possible with any Linux distribution. Most allow you to do it straight away, others may require some command line shenanigans.
Donutey
Why would you do this? USB is going to really bottleneck your performance and you won't be able to use the drive on other computers unless they have similar hardware.
Covert-Waffles
I have done this before. It was for a friend of mine, her laptop stopped reading any and all hard drives, and the only way to get her computer to work again, without taking it in, was to install Windows on to an external hard drive.

Works quite well actually. I wouldn't ever do it as a regular thing, but....
nivinjoy
That was a new information for me that we can install a working operating system into a external drive..!!

So in this context i have some doubts. Will we be able to do all the activities that we do in a normal computer in this too..??

And what are the risks behind this..??
Jean-Clod
Yes, it is exactly like a "normal" computer (at least for linux distros, for windows it's a bit tricky to set up)

No risks, except security: you should be careful, because stealing an external hdd is far easier than stealing a pc, so there must be passwords everywhere
nivinjoy
Jean-Clod wrote:
Yes, it is exactly like a "normal" computer (at least for linux distros, for windows it's a bit tricky to set up)

No risks, except security: you should be careful, because stealing an external hdd is far easier than stealing a pc, so there must be passwords everywhere

Ya sure security is a big issue.. Thanks for the information..
mugundhan
You can install win7 to external drive.
But problem are,
1)slow
2)encryption must be used fro whole drive .else easily password can be cracked.
3)no reliability (since we use USB mostly there is a change for unpluging accidentally .so loss of data. even corruption of OS)
BillHebe
So far as I know, external hard drive doesn't have the function to install windows system. If you are familiar with Linux, it's a good way to replace windows.
rockpan
you can first replace the hard drive on board,
switch the SCSI controller in bios to compatible,
then install Win7.
Now plug it out and put the original hard drive in.
i've tried like this, but there are still a lot of problem.
so i think you can try burn a live WinPE on external USB linked hard drive.
YallKenton
I also have a problem that when I installed Windows 7 on my Digital usb flash drive. I tried USB and it found the device, but couldn’t finish installing the drivers. I was able to see folders, but no contents were displayed.So, As far as I know, you are not able to install Windows 7 on external hard drive.

Moderator - Link removed since it was not relevant to the conversation.
Bikerman