FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 to be recommended?

tdossi
Hi,
What do you think of Windows 7?
Is to recommend a umstig to Windows 7?
Or it's worth it just for a new PC?

Greeting tdossi
rheanna
I just bought it, and I like it better than XP. Haven't really played around much with it but it's a lot easier on navigation and you can even tweak the search bar ;p just one letter in and you put every file that starts with the letter R in search feature which opens in your start menu. freakn cool man. ;p
nivinjoy
I have been using Windows 7 since last october.. I find it great to use. It is great in performance and ease of use..!!

It is much faster than Windows Vista and visually more cool than windows XP.. But i know persons who still likes Windows XP much and still who are sticking on to it..!!

That's why Windows XP was the greatest selling product of Microsoft till date..!!
harismushtaq
For all kindof work, XP is no where behind. There are no Windows 7 only applications that do not run on XP (atleast for what I know and use). Now it depends upon price. I got an upgrade for my office PC as I did not have to pay for it. I find it good but nothing extra ordinary. Searching is no doubt easier and better. For my home, PC, I'll keep it on XP.
FunDa
If u have the RAM( 1GB or more) and the money, definitely upgrade to Windows 7. Windows Vista was a disaster especially if u liked to change a lot of settings in ur computer or if ur RAM was not enough, but Win 7 has corrected all the problems and is definitely worth using.

Glad to know that ppl are still sticking with Win XP even after Microsoft officially stopped support to it.

Personally I think Windows XP was a good OS like Windows 98SE was in its time. But now its time to move on people.

Especially because a lot of viruses floating around have been fine-tuned to XPloit XP to the maximum.

It is time to Umstieg to 7 my friend.
hersandal
I would recommend Windows 7 since I have installed this on my new PC it has been great I ain't yet experience any problems or hangups... My computer specs are Core 2 quad, 1 Gig Memory 300 Gig Hard Drive and 1 Gig Video Card. I am using it right now to post this message using Firefox. I don't know whats coming next to this OS for us to use but for now I am loving this Operating System and never thought Windows XP anymore.
tdossi
Hello,
most here in the forum recommend Windows 7.

There are clear contraindications to Windows 7 a few, the advantages predominate unambiguously. Nevertheless, the next Windows is not suited for anybody and not for every purpose: The innovations of Windows 7 mean for Vista users to nobody, for XP users low learning expenditure. That is: Many improvements catch the eye, and the application succeeds intuitively. Windows 7 brings native support for the newest hardware (biometrics, multiair). With problems with older hardware the Vista driver can help out almost everywhere.
driftingfe3s
FunDa wrote:
If u have the RAM( 1GB or more) and the money, definitely upgrade to Windows 7. Windows Vista was a disaster especially if u liked to change a lot of settings in ur computer or if ur RAM was not enough, but Win 7 has corrected all the problems and is definitely worth using.

Glad to know that ppl are still sticking with Win XP even after Microsoft officially stopped support to it.

Personally I think Windows XP was a good OS like Windows 98SE was in its time. But now its time to move on people.

Especially because a lot of viruses floating around have been fine-tuned to XPloit XP to the maximum.

It is time to Umstieg to 7 my friend.

I have a desktop with Windows 7 and I like it better than XP and Vista.

I also have a laptop with 512MB of RAM that I loaded windows 7 onto and it runs pretty well. It's not as snappy as XP due to the low ram but it run's fine!
chartcentral
If you have an old computer, stick to Windows XP. However, if you got brand new hardware, go for it. I've tested Windows 7 and it's nice enough! Smile
bjornhoogeveen
I like windows 7 a lot. There was one problem when I used it: my internet adapter driver! I had to buy a new-one because there was not a windows 7 driver for it. Also my scanner doesn't work, but that doesn't really matter: I didn't use it much Smile.

I like the interface of windows 7 a lot: you do not need many annoying shortcuts at your desktop. You didn't need them in windows XP, I know, but in windows 7 the icons are bigger, and they will stay if you opened them. You'll understand me if you take a look at it Smile. I use it now for like 5 months, and I really coudn't complain Smile
Asafe
It's the better Windows, but is still Windows.
silverdown
I got a new PC and it has windows 7 home premium and I have not had a problem, I have it for about 2 months now. Mine came with free 60 day of norton internet security which doesn't harm nor lag the system down and scans every file and updates itself every 5 mintues. Plus windows 7 ask to install everything to make sure you want to which is helpful i guess if a program wants to auto install.. however mine is a 64 bit systeme and it find it hard to find 64 bit software but 32 bit works with some type fo compatibility system.

This is just my opinion.
rayxzero
Windows 7 is great, an enhanced version of vista.
loyal
Well, it seems clear that everyone approves of windows 7, or at least to some degree. I also approve of it. Don't get vista, it's terrible. 7 is the optimised version of vista.
I'd recommend getting 7 because it's quite stable, much easier to use, and much more visually appealing. It's also relatively fast even on my low spec laptop.

You could always dual boot with ubuntu (linux), if you want another operating system as well.

Peace.
FunDa
Definitely I would recommend Windows 7. Even with low system resources, it works much better than Vista.

Xp would be good enough for some people, but soon only Windows 7 would support some softwares. This is definitely going to happen as Microsoft is stopping/has stopped Support for Windows XP and XP sp2
harismushtaq
When windows Vista was released, lots of people used and then went back to XP. I personally know many of my friends that bought laptops with Vista preinstalled and then downgraded it to XP (is it really a downgrade ?).

Compared to that, Windows 7 is graphically more vivid than XP and somewhat similar to the Vista theme but I found it very fast. Its memory foot print is reasonable and does not grow over time. It has good organization of tasks and access to programs/features. I am using it for past one weak only and plan to continue using it.
the-guide
Of course, Windows 7 is great and I think the next version will be greater and greater, but I still work on XP-PRO and MAC-OS just don't want to spend more. Have no reason for me to change since I have no problem with them at least right now. Laughing
Starrfoxx
When I was using the RC version of W7 64 bit for a year, I loved it. I haven't had the money to upgrade my computer since the RC time ended, so I'm back on XP. I would love to go back to W7 someday soon, though. I thought it was smooth and much more stable than XP, although some of my older games didn't work on W7. Most likely, I'll be dual booting. It's always good to have a back up OS (on another physical drive if possible), so that you have a backup OS to bring you computer up just in case one drive fails or OS gets corrupted.
lightwate
YES!

The first time i tried Windows 7, i thought "WOAH the GUI looks WAAAY cooler than Vista's and almost as fast as XP!". I didn't have to install any drivers because windows 7 provided it's own drivers for the most common devices such as speakers and monitors. It also has the best windows update i've ever seen.

In time (about 1 year now i think) I noticed something. This is the only OS i've tried that doesn't go slow over time. even my hard drive partitions are all 80 to 90% full!

I definitely recommend windows 7, but then again, it all depends on the type of hardware you have. If you have an old and weaker one, I also suggest you stick to XP Smile
guissmo
The graphics look sleeker in 7. And of course most of the menus have been improved. I've also read that RAM usage has been optimized so that it uses less RAM than its predecessors. It's kinda fun using it. You should probably get it. Very Happy
BlueDeath
Windows 7 is better, but if you have a computer with old hardware, you must be install Windows XP, or even better, something lightweight Linux distribution.
Ussy
I did not like it..
FunDa
Ussy wrote:
I did not like it..

Compared to which OS.

If u did not like it compared to Vista, I don't know what I can tell u to change ur mind.

Windows 7 is much better than Vista.
Iguleder
I visited Windows 7 from my shiny KDE desktop and I must say it just sucks. Can't find anything and it's so hard to use or customize.

I don't recommend Windows 7 to anyone used to some more advanced desktop setup or the plain old Windows XP.
Nick2008
I'm currently running Vista, I have no intention of upgrading to a new OS because the price is too steep, if it ain't broke don't fix it (but of course Vista has it's quirks).

When you get a new computer from the store most of the time it will probably have the newest OS, and on average I upgrade every 5 to 7 years. I'll pass up on 7 and see what comes next, I have 4 years worth of time. Smile
soljarag
i like it alot... i would def. recommend it!
achowles
As someone who skipped Vista I pre-ordered Windows 7 as it was cheap then and I didn't really have much choice but to upgrade if I wanted to keep using up to date software, games and hardware.

So I installed it as a dual boot with XP. XP was never used so I got rid of it for good. That says it all really. Windows 7 is fast, streamlined, far more stable than XP and better productivity features too. It took a little while to get the most out of it and there were changes I didn't get on with at first. But once you see how it all comes together you see how much better it is.

Also I'm using the 64bit version and damn near everything works with it. It has excellent compatibility. Better than XP's as I remember upgrading to that cost me quite a few apps and games I could no longer use. So yeah, it's definitely recommended.