FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My very first PHP project

Denvis
Okay guys, so I have a school project I have to complete within 14 weeks. I have to use PHP to make anything and my marks are based on the following:

- documentation (does not include internal or intrinsic documentation, marked separately)
- user manual
- ways to show how my project has been tested
- formatting the application (a good looking interface)
- log book
- evidence of meetings
- productive use of software applications for producing the software and documentation
- algorithms
- meaningful identifiers
- appropriate programming structures
- appropriate data structures
- internal documentation (comments within a code)
- appropriate response to user input
- achievement of stated objectives
- social issues

So anyhow... I don't know what to make, i'm a beginner at this and I haven't had much experience with PHP I'm thinking of doing a webpage based application so I assume PHP and HTML is involved. I'm willing to spent the next 14 weeks studying PHP (cause we really haven't touched on it much in class) and make whatever project.

So if you guys have any ideas please, post a response. Make sure it has the following:

Project Name:

Explanation of Project:

Minimum Requirements:

Optional Extras:

(it's apart of my marking criteria) THANKS! Cool
rvec
if you study PHP, MySQL and HTML for 14 weeks you should be able to make something that'll give you a good mark.
Start here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-92218.html
Buy a good PHP book from zend, oreilly, apress or anything else that's recommended from someone that knows PHP (preferably professionally).
Idle in an IRC channel with PHP experts or have some experts on IM so you can ask them questions and show them your code. Better to have more than 2 people like that, because they'll grow tired of you (if they don't you're not asking enough Razz).

If you read the book, the above topic and try out all the different things that're in there you should be able to write your own scripts in a couple of weeks. I'd start with the project itself in the last 2-4 weeks because especially when just beginning with PHP you'll learn a lot very fast and it would be a shame if you've finished the project 4 weeks in advance and learn a lot of new stuff you could have used afterwards.
jmraker
If you can do any in PHP, I'd suggest you do something everyone wants to do, or else somebody will be doing most of the work. I'm assuming there's others because of the "evidence of meetings". You will probably need to design and create a backend for the site for the add/edit/delete of content/information.
Fire Boar
Denvis wrote:
- social issues

This is the "gnaargh". Social issues? Yurgh.

I'd suggest asking around to see if you know anyone who needs a website, then creating one based on their requirements. Because it's a lot easier and more realistic to make something based on existing requirements than to make something up.
Denvis
Evidence of meetings is basically the teacher, checking up on my code, asking questions about it and what happens if i delete this part, or move this part. This is a one man team so everything is done by me. It's a high school project and he wants set it up like a job.

I want it to do something different. A lot of the guys are doing websites. As for social and ethical issues, well I have that in the bag.

Anymore ideas? I still don't know what to do
jmraker
PHP can do much more than websites. It also be run on the command line, in a cron job, by a mail server (do webmail), etc

Back when I was in High School (18 years ago, in the 486 computer age), we had a computer programming class. It was kind of a disaster because nobody but me and my friend knew how to program in basic. They never offered that class after that
rvec
The cron job runs it as cli (command line) or runs a browser that opens the website, the mailserver has a website. On cli you shouldn't use PHP because it's slow, needs PHP to be installed and isn't made for cli so it's harder to use it that way.

I think something like webmail would be nice to make, but you'd need knowledge of more than just PHP for that to work. Simplest and probbly most done would be to make something like a simple version of wordpress.
You could look at the drupal module list and get ideas from that, most of that shouldn't be too hard and you can get a code example with documentation if you download the module:
http://drupal.org/project/modules
jmraker
I've done a fair share of PHP that runs from the command line, it's the same speed as when run from the webserver, all the functions are there if they're setup, it's the same language, it's not harder. You can even do a program that can be run from both the command line and by the webserver.

If you do a webmail program, and you parse the raw emails message in mbox format you need to handle mime headers which can be nested. You will need to use the functions:
quoted_printable_decode and base64_decode for the decoding of the subject, body and attachments because all of them can be encoded, the attachments are always encoded.

I've done a mail to html program in PHP where sending mail to a certain email address updates a page with the email with attachments. In order for it to work you need to be able to setup the mail server to forward emails to a program that was "chmod 755" so it's executable, the php program cannot output anything, no errors/warnings or else the mail server will send back an email that looks like a bounce.
Fire Boar
jmraker wrote:
I've done a fair share of PHP that runs from the command line, it's the same speed as when run from the webserver, all the functions are there if they're setup, it's the same language, it's not harder. You can even do a program that can be run from both the command line and by the webserver.

That's the biggie. Suppose you've got your application set up with the MVC design, e.g. a Symfony project. It then becomes extremely straightforward to rig up a command line interface with some or all of the features of the web interface: simply adapt the Controller layer, drop the View layer and you're done: the bulk of the useful code is in the Model layer and can be used unchanged. If you wrote the command-line version in another language, you'd have to rewrite everything.
spring567
I think you should do some simple php project . After you know something about php ,your problem will be done easily.
rvec
jmraker wrote:

If you do a webmail program, and you parse the raw emails message in mbox format you need to handle mime headers which can be nested. You will need to use the functions:
quoted_printable_decode and base64_decode for the decoding of the subject, body and attachments because all of them can be encoded, the attachments are always encoded.

I've done a mail to html program in PHP where sending mail to a certain email address updates a page with the email with attachments. In order for it to work you need to be able to setup the mail server to forward emails to a program that was "chmod 755" so it's executable, the php program cannot output anything, no errors/warnings or else the mail server will send back an email that looks like a bounce.
It's slower than something that's pre-compiled, like most cli programs, it's a language that's been written for web development, so if you want to write something for cli and know C or some other language that can come pre-compiled you'd write it in that.
You don't only need to setup a mail server, you also need to have knowledge of headers, mail functions, security (a lot more than with a simple cms), and system administration to be able to set up webmail, that's why I think it's a bad choice for a beginner to start on something like this.
frenzy
I am the beginner too, but I think I have a good suggestion for you. Try to use php tutorials. It is free and quickest way to learn php.
mahirharoon
Denvis wrote:
Okay guys, so I have a school project I have to complete within 14 weeks. I have to use PHP to make ....................

well , you could use w3c's website to get a firm grip to start and ten u can use php.net for all your doubts just don't depend on w3c's webssite for evverything because it may lead to a terrrrible connfusion
andy26
cant you just design some kind of visual basic application for a libary book inventory system?

Edit:

Just realised you said it must be php my bad.

theres plenty of tutorial sites out there, your gonna need to learn a bit of mysql if you want to store information like user names.
Navigator
I you would like start out easy way, you can try online video tutorials from the site with the female name.

But i would recommend buying an online book first, cheaper than a regular book.