FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recover information from a USB stick

gandalfthegrey
Hey everyone,

I have a friend who has been improperly removing her USB without ejecting first, and has now lost her data.
The USB stick says it needs to be formatted now.

Is there anyway to recover the data from the stick?
badai
try this

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

there are dozens other free data recovery utilities out there.
FunDa
I have used both Recuva (free) http://www.piriform.com/recuva and Recover My Files to recover files from formatted and accidentally erased USB sticks and hard drives. Once I lost an entire partition and I was able to recover many personal photos. Don't keep any hope for applications or for complex files like Powerpoint presentations.

Most important thing is to not do any file operations on the drive - DO NOT copy files into it, or edit files in it or format it. Every step u take reduces the chance of recovery.

Text files and photos are the most easily recoverable. For other files, keep your fingers crossed and pray before u click.
ProfessorY91
FunDa wrote:

Most important thing is to not do any file operations on the drive - DO NOT copy files into it, or edit files in it or format it. Every step u take reduces the chance of recovery.

Text files and photos are the most easily recoverable. For other files, keep your fingers crossed and pray before u click.

Exactly right. If all else fails, and you can't get anything off the drive using your own software, and you're willing to spend money to get it back, send the flash drive off to a professional data recovery center. They'll probably have better luck with it.

Good luck.
visualconcepts
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have a friend who has been improperly removing her USB without ejecting first, and has now lost her data.
The USB stick says it needs to be formatted now.

Is there anyway to recover the data from the stick?

just google "Recovery software" you will one, i did this sometime ago, but cant remember the software name, sorry this is all i can do.
mugundhan
Use of the recovery softwares like
1)Recuva.
2)Datarecovery.
etc
airh3ad
There is a lot way recovering of data using some sotfware but its not guarante they can recover it.
mugundhan
nice one