FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet acronyms you use IRL

Nameless
I would say I have used an embarrassingly large number of acronyms out loud in real before, usually spelled out (eg. "Eye Arr Ell".)

Let's see, I've said TBH once or twice, TMI rarely, NM a few times, ETA pretty often, FYI all the time, IDK one time and let me tell you it sounded really stupid, even WTF a couple of times (pronounced "whatuff" maybe?).

However, I can proudly assure you I have never (un-ironically) used LOL, ROFL or OMG. What about everyone else?
Denvis
I've used OMG and FYI a few times IRL. I have friends that do it all the time, LOL, ROFL, some even say ha ha opposed to laughing. I tend to take a step back and just laugh at them whenever that happens. I think I heard a "sigh" once instead of actually sigh. That's not an acronym, nor is haha but I thought I'd point it out Laughing
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:

Let's see, I've said TBH once or twice, TMI rarely, NM a few times, ETA pretty often, FYI all the time, IDK one time and let me tell you it sounded really stupid, even WTF a couple of times (pronounced "whatuff" maybe?).

Well, TMI, ETA, and FYI all originated 'IRL', and predate internet/phone slang. That you should still find them outside of the internet isn't surprising at all then.
speeDemon
I've only used 1, lol (laugh out loud), it's easier than writing haha or hihi !! other than that, I just use emoticons,, even if i have to search a while for which one to use..! Very Happy
Helios
I don't use "internet acronyms" in real life, but I do use general acronyms like ASAP...
Radar
Lol a few times, but that's something I've picked up from different friends of mine more than anything.
Nameless
Denvis wrote:
I think I heard a "sigh" once instead of actually sigh. That's not an acronym, nor is haha but I thought I'd point it out Laughing

Heh, maybe 1/3 of the time I deliberately sigh with someone else present, I also sigh the word 'sigh' just to really get my point across. Or say 'shug' while also shrugging my shoulders. Or cry out in exasperation 'fist shaky!' while shaking my fist. Razz
iman
I slip out a few LOLs. Other than that, I don't.
Jamatu
I don't even laugh anymore I just say 'lol'.... It actually seems weird for me to laugh normally.
Nameless
Jamatu wrote:
I don't even laugh anymore I just say 'lol'.... It actually seems weird for me to laugh normally.

That ... That is some really sad imagery, actually. Sad
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Jamatu wrote:

That ... That is some really sad imagery, actually. Sad
Well, before it is sad, one probably would have to define what "normally" is first.

I don't mind general acronyms like ASAP, however I really hate Internet acronyms, especially the ones that are used in e-mail or text messages. To me it has the flavour of internet slang.
Magicman
I only use ones that existed before the internet unless I'm being ironic. That basically comes down to FYI and ASAP. I really don't understand how people could seriously use LOL or BRB in an actual conversation. I think those people spend way too much time in front of a computer. The acronyms just make people sound stupid.
Donutey
ROFLCOPTER Mr. Green

That's pretty much the only one.
mOrpheuS
I hardly use them on the Internet!
I even punctuate the text messages that I write, as good as I can.

That's probably because I grew up in an era when we learned to read,write and speak English in school before we ever got access to the Internet. Neutral
Also, I don't chat/text much, I prefer a phone call when possible.

Donutey wrote:
ROFLCOPTER

Does that actually mean something ? Shocked
apple
I've actually caught myself saying LOL and then keeling over with laughter Embarassed
tchaunt
The only acronyms I use regularly are ASAP and FYI. I don't use any internet slang in my speech. I'll be honest, when I hear someone say "Oh em gee", "Ell oh ell", "Ell em eff ay oh", or any other "spelled-out" internet-salng, I tend to get in a bad mood rather quickly. I shouldn't...but I do. ><;
ninjakannon
mOrpheuS wrote:
I hardly use them on the Internet!
I even punctuate the text messages that I write, as good as I can.

That's probably because I grew up in an era when we learned to read,write and speak English in school before we ever got access to the Internet. Neutral
Also, I don't chat/text much, I prefer a phone call when possible.

Donutey wrote:
ROFLCOPTER

Does that actually mean something ? Shocked

I learned to read, write and speak English before use of the internet but still use a few acronyms from time to time! I've found that as I matured I've also resorted to better English (even in texts).

Oh, and ROFLCOPTER comes from ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing) and is generally pictured a helicopter drawn from the words "rofl" and "lol" along with some ASCII art. Check here and you get a pretty good gist.

speeDemon wrote:
I've only used 1, lol (laugh out loud), it's easier than writing haha or hihi !! other than that, I just use emoticons,, even if i have to search a while for which one to use..! Very Happy

No, what do you use in real life? Not what you use on the internet.

I usually say acronyms in out of the ordinary situations such as when saying it as a joke or talking to a particularly internet going friend. In such cases I may say any acronym at all. Although, I have accidentally let slip a "lol" or even a surprised "rofl?". Sometimes I also say "O. M. G." (pausing between each letter).
the-guide
555 (five five five) pronounced "Ha Ha Ha" in Thai's dialect it's like LOL that mean "laugh out loud", of course as "speeDemon" said it's easier than writing haha or hihi !! Laughing Also, I use ASAP (as soon as possible) and DIY (do it your self) as well but not often. Wink
ninjakannon
the-guide wrote:
Also, I use ASAP (as soon as possible) and DIY (do it your self) as well but not often. Wink

These acronyms aren't from the internet, though, as somebody already mentioned. They've actually gone from RL to IM, so to speak.
mOrpheuS
ninjakannon wrote:
Oh, and ROFLCOPTER comes from ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing) and is generally pictured a helicopter drawn from the words "rofl" and "lol" along with some ASCII art. Check here and you get a pretty good gist.

I had seen some of those images before.
I assumed those images were just a clever take on a real acronym, which I wasn't "hip" enough to know already. Razz
The "COPTER" part, I suppose, doesn't stand for anything then.
ninjakannon
mOrpheuS wrote:
The "COPTER" part, I suppose, doesn't stand for anything then.

Nope.

For some reason a similar incorporation of internet acronyms has been used in quite a few words. In the right context, whatever that context is, you could talk about lmaonade (lemonade), lollercoasters (roller-coasters), lollerscates (roller-skates) or the lolympics (Olympics). What a strange 'place' the internet is.
airh3ad
What they called is lingo i think internet lingo has become a cultural trend that shows no signs of slowing down, and it seems as if newer acronyms like the "smh" phrase join old time favorites all the time. The stadnby Internet acronyms and lingo such as laugh out loud, rolling on the floor laughing, and by the way will always be around but many people still dont know what they mean.
Some explanations on this matter smh expression is used on the Internet when someone is doing something that you just can't figure out how to describe because what they're doing at that moment defies explanation. It can be something good but it is usually used to describe something bizarre or maybe bad or annoying. the phrase "shaking my head" is probably not as catchy or unique as some of these other Internet-based expressions but it is somewhat common from what I've seen in my days on various Web sites. but it helpful and usefull.
missdixy
I use TMI and FYI a lot in irl but I never use "o.m.g" or "l.o.l" etc. I think TMI and FYI have become more accepted in spoken English than some other acronyms.
goutha
I don't really use acronyms. I like when everything is well written.
pll
Here we're french so tons of people often says WTF (and it sounds great in french), we also say Oh My God (but not OMG).

But the WTF is really present here in quebec.
Xanify
I've said "lol" a few times. "omg", too.
TVme
I first saw STFU in a chat room. Then I heard some of the salespeople I worked with say it to tell another one to shut up (so to speak). Pronounced "stafoo". It's more of a phrase of disbelief than an order to be quiet.
Insanity
Only AFK, I think. Everything else just doesn't really make sense. I can't imagine going LOL in real life; people will probably just stare at me or laugh at my face.
guissmo
I use FYI, but that acronym's been there before the Internet.

I use OMG a lot, often to denote sarcasm or something.

And I use LOL (I just say law-l as opposed to ELL OH ELL), as a catch-all statement. When someone tells me something that's supposed to be funny but I can't bring myself to laugh, I use it. Or when someone tells me a story and I don't have any particular reaction, I just bring out the LOL.
ProwerBot
I use some acronyms like FYI and ASAP. I don't really say lol or omg in real life unless I'm just being stupid and immatating someone, like if someone says "I didn't do my homework! This class sucks" I would immatate them and be like "Like OMG, I'm stupid and didn't do my homework, this class suckz0rz lol"
eday2010
missdixy wrote:
I use TMI and FYI a lot in irl but I never use "o.m.g" or "l.o.l" etc. I think TMI and FYI have become more accepted in spoken English than some other acronyms.

FYI is not an Internet acronym, just so you know. It was around before the web became popular.

No, I do not use Internet acronyms in real life. I am not brain damaged.
ninjakannon
eday2010 wrote:

Brain damage has nothing to do with the use of Internet acronyms away from the Internet, just so you know. (See what I did there?)
iman
I LOL all the time. ASAP is a commonly-used acronym. Once I accidentally said "wataf" instead of wtf.
eday2010
ninjakannon wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Brain damage has nothing to do with the use of Internet acronyms away from the Internet, just so you know. (See what I did there?)

If you use internet acronyms in real life, then there is something wrong with your brain.
ninjakannon
eday2010 wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

If you use internet acronyms in real life, then there is something wrong with your brain.

If you don't understand that this is untrue, then there is something wrong with your brain.
eday2010
ninjakannon wrote:
If you don't understand that this is untrue, then there is something wrong with your brain.

So you think it's normal to use internet acronyms in real life? That it doesn't make you sound like some demented nerd? There is something wrong with anyone who uses internet acronyms in real life to seriously replace proper words, whether it's the fact that they think it makes them cool, or the fact that they are too damn lazy to speak properly. In any case, something is wrong with these people.
ninjakannon
eday2010 wrote:
So you think it's normal to use internet acronyms in real life? That it doesn't make you sound like some demented nerd?

I never wrote or implied either case.

Also, the second question (or should I say, personal internal monologue), is entirely subjective.

I wrote that there isn't anything "wrong" with people who use acronyms that they have learnt from use of the internet in real life.
Nintendo
Back in secondary school days, I used to always say "ROLF", instead of "ROFL".

The reason? It used to annoy ninjakannon, good times Very Happy xD
Utopia GFR
Here are the ones I usually say in real life :

- LOL.
- MDR "mort de rire" (the equivalent to ROFL in french).
- ASAP.
- IRL.

When I'm online :
- GG "good game" (when it applies to internet games).
- STFU.

Nameless wrote:
I would say I have used an embarrassingly large number of acronyms out loud in real before, usually spelled out (eg. "Eye Arr Ell".)

However, I can proudly assure you I have never (un-ironically) used LOL, ROFL or OMG. What about everyone else?
eday2010
ninjakannon wrote:
I wrote that there isn't anything "wrong" with people who use acronyms that they have learnt from use of the internet in real life.

And you are incorrect. There is something wrong with it.

And for your information, most of what you refer to as acronyms are actually initialisms. FYI is a good example.
ninjakannon
eday2010 wrote:
And you are incorrect. There is something wrong with it.

What is wrong with it?

eday2010 wrote:
And for your information, most of what you refer to as acronyms are actually initialisms. FYI is a good example.

Ooh, I've never heard of initialisms before. I don't quite see the difference between the two, either.