FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If you had a dollar to give to the world, in which way would

Arty
In which way can an arbitrarily large number of people best give a dollar for the benefit of humanity?

I have an idea. It involves a collective of people (enlisted through social networking) who will volunteer to venture out to the streets and offer a dollar for a "moment of someone's time," in which they will give a presentation to the person about a current world issue and how they can help (by spreading the movement through social networking or making lifestyle changes.)
Afterwards, the person will receive an information pamphlet with the dollar attached, and also the URL of the movement's website.
Then, the person will be asked if he or she wants to donate a dollar or more (to pay for future presentations).

Post your ideas here.
go go go!
ocalhoun
Why limit it to only benefiting humanity?
Arty
I'm talking how a dollar could be best used to aid imminent problems, such as pollution and c02 emission, that call for a movement of people in order to avoid calamity.

What do you have in mind?
Bluedoll
I think there are two ways to have a movement. You can publish an idea and do something to get the ball moving then just let it go where it will go.

I am thinking of the person that started a rumour (I have no idea why?) that the little tabs on top of aluminum cans that could be ripped off should be saved and saved as they were being used to make wheel chairs. People saved them but didn’t know what to do with them as there was no actual place to send all these tiny pieces of aluminum (it was not real). However, after the movement had started someone took on the job to start a collection process and turn the idea a reality.

Alternatively you can manage a foundation by defining clear goals and working towards them zealously. These are many non-profit organizations that do just that and go on a campaign to raise money in an innovative way with a clear agenda.

For example, you can help our environment by shaking peoples hands, using bio-degradable paper products like our pamphlet here, using the internet for a good purpose and donating a dollar or more for a good cause might be a simple message to start with. People do like to see what happens to there donations however and information on that is important as well.

I think if you give away dollars some of the dollars will disappear but there will also be a collection of dollars for an organizational movement ( call it go, go , go?) that if a large number of people donated to, could do something that might help and be an aid to an imminent problem.

If it was up to me I would want to give a dollar to an organization that would spread a message of hope for a better world today by providing real solutions. They would give me a real job by actually paying me to write. Laughing In return, other people could be helped by a pamphlet (movement) that gave real solutions which help solve a real existing problem.
deanhills
Perhaps someone could print cards of all the major football games, sell them to Coca Cola and then get Coca Cola to insert them into the bottom of the coke cans or bottles.
adri
If a large number of people, let's say all people (6 billion), give one dollar this would give us 6 billion dollars. I would buy large parts of the Amazon forest to prevent the forest of being chopped + (if I still have some money) I would buy land to plant trees, because without trees = no humans.

Adri
Helios
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Humans often consider themselves the center of everything. Earth was thought to be the center of the solar system, and it's still common today to think that animals exist to serve humans. That's wrong in my opinion.
I'd be glad to give a dollar for productive efforts in restoring an Eco-system, for instance. I'd give it for something which will be beneficial to Earth in general.
Parkour_Jarrod
Helios wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Humans often consider themselves the center of everything. Earth was thought to be the center of the solar system, and it's still common today to think that animals exist to serve humans. That's wrong in my opinion.
I'd be glad to give a dollar for productive efforts in restoring an Eco-system, for instance. I'd give it for something which will be beneficial to Earth in general.

I also agree why limit it to humanity?

I would much rather give it to the animal kingdom or the ecosystem in general.

Yesterday at work when I told one of my work mates that i don't eat RED meat because of the inhumane way they are slaughtered she said "But thats why animals are here, for us to eat" it made me sick that thats how she saw the world...

But in all honesty if i had 6 billion US$ to spend on the planet, i would use it to destroy all materialistic and consumeristic products... get rid of all things superficial then perhaps people will finally see how EVIL the human race is and try to ramify it.
Hogwarts
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Yesterday at work when I told one of my work mates that i don't eat RED meat because of the inhumane way they are slaughtered she said "But thats why animals are here, for us to eat" it made me sick that thats how she saw the world...

But in all honesty if i had 6 billion US$ to spend on the planet, i would use it to destroy all materialistic and consumeristic products... get rid of all things superficial then perhaps people will finally see how EVIL the human race is and try to ramify it.

How is the human race evil?

I eat red meat. Doing so benefits me. I like to eat red meat, and thus it's a win for me on the utilitarian scale to do so (I don't particularly care about the animals welfare, just taste). I mean, every action is selfish, so why can't I do it in the way that benefits me the most?

Perhaps my idea would be a microdonations project; i.e. collect donations of specifically $1.00 or less at checkouts across the country, then create an .. open source research project? I imagine that could be somehow channeled to be beneficial for humanity.
Nameless
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

By this logic, all carnivorous creatures on the plant are EVIL, and heck, most of the herbivorous ones must be pretty EVIL as well to recklessly dig holes or damage trees for their own materialistic comforts.

This may not be a meaningful morality system!
Arty
Lets not turn this into a debate about eating meat.

When I say "benefit humanity" I am speaking in terms of evolution. My goal in life is to take part of a movement that will ultimately lead to the conscious awakening of humans in the large scale.

By that I mean, giving an effort to promote awareness, compassion, and change (reducing polluting energy; something that we can do but won't because too many people are too lazy.)

I would rather do that than spend all the money to preventing a bunch of cats from going extinct.
Because if you look at it, we are responsible for all the suffering in the world, so shouldn't we promote self growth?

Why fight to get a bunch of people to stop eating meat if it is a higher priority to wake a bunch of people up first?
Parkour_Jarrod
@Hogwarts and Nameless

The reason i don't eat red mean is because of THE WAY the meat is obtained, the way that most animals are slaughtered is disgusting (yes i have seen it, yes someone in my family does own a cattle farm) and im pretty sure i stated that the reason i don't eat it is because of the way the animals are slaughted in my original post.

Humanity is evil because we corrupt the natural eco-system and nature for our own pointless purposes... We are grossly over populated but when a country introduces euthanasia to control the exploding population they are shamed? Everything is destroyed purely for the materialistic people who are forced upon by consumeristic ideas by greedy people only wanting money for themselves so they can bank it and do nothing with it? There are millions of people who are dieing of famine and only want to be able to live without hunger or disease but nope society doesn't care that much, sure everyone cares every now and then but in general not many people care... All people care about is Money... why do they want money? so they can buy "cool" things so people praise them... ****** them (excuse my language)...

Now i could go on and on about this but I'd rather not because it would be diverging this topic off its original idea which in fact is a good one.

@Arty

I wasn't actually trying to make a debate about red meat i was just making a statement about my views on humanity to continue on with the small discussion that happened before me with ocalhoun and Helios

If we wanted self-growth we should probably stop worrying about things like technology production and things like that... the world worked perfectly thousands of years ago (im talking even before ancient Egypt) when we lived together in tribes that moved around the land killing only what they needed and using EVERY part of the animal they kill for some purpose within the tribe. So if we wanted to be true in self-growth, we have to reverse alot of what has happened....

Therefore, use the money to find a cure for AIDS a disease that is wiping out hundreds of thousands of people all over the world. (please don't use the "how about preventing it by getting tests before having sex with someone?" 90% of the people who have it live in Third World Countries and can't get tested...)
Helios
Arty wrote:

When I say "benefit humanity" I am speaking in terms of evolution. My goal in life is to take part of a movement that will ultimately lead to the conscious awakening of humans in the large scale.

By that I mean, giving an effort to promote awareness, compassion, and change (reducing polluting energy; something that we can do but won't because too many people are too lazy.)

I would rather do that than spend all the money to preventing a bunch of cats from going extinct.
Because if you look at it, we are responsible for all the suffering in the world, so shouldn't we promote self growth?

Why fight to get a bunch of people to stop eating meat if it is a higher priority to wake a bunch of people up first?

Depends on who you're donating to, either you can save bunch of cats, save a bunch of people or save both and maybe even some plants. You can donate for almost any cause today...
For instance reducing pollution is a great cause, because it will be beneficial for everything, not just humans.
imagefree
Helios wrote:
Arty wrote:

Depends on who you're donating to, either you can save bunch of cats, save a bunch of people or save both and maybe even some plants. You can donate for almost any cause today...
For instance reducing pollution is a great cause, because it will be beneficial for everything, not just humans.

my words
Bluedoll
Yes, I guess you could do something good in the world. World peace? Well that might be too large a task. Feed the hungry children of the world? Something that might be possible in this day and age you would think, wouldn’t be a problem, but is. Again a large task. Saving energy? Turn off your computer right now, please! Are you listening? Hello, hello? Well that wouldn’t work! Reducing pollution? That is a good idea I guess, yeah, less garbage!

What-ever is tried, I suppose the first thing to do is to get people to agree or at least think along the same lines? That was the original post right, if you had a dollar . . .? Well if it gets people talking about what things to do, I guess right there it is at least suggesting something that will make the world a better place.

Of course it might get people arguing too, over things like how, “I want hit animal with big stick, bring back to cave, make fire, cook, eat, then throw bone at woman - debate.”

Laughing