FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you import? are prices high?

speeDemon
I'm trying to get a new computer, and well, When I looked at the price of stuff at newegg.com and other websites which gave the price in US$, and I converted them into my currency - Rupees (INR).

I was quite happy with those prices, but when I went to websites which gave the same stuff, but showed the money in INR, the prices were higher..
I guess it was because of the import, but what about the free shipping thing??
anyway, I wanted to know if this happened with other people as well, and is it more profitable to buy stuff from someplace like newegg.com and then just get it shipped to your location..?
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:

I guess it was because of the import, but what about the free shipping thing??

The free shipping thing almost certainly doesn't apply to international shipping. Read the fine print.

The higher prices you're seeing are indeed likely the result of the cost of shipping. International shipping charges can be outrageous, so check before buying anything from an overseas retailer.
Local retailers who import things in bulk pay less shipping per item, so they'll probably have a lower overall price for you.
deanhills
@speeDemon. Why do you want to import a computer? Surely there must be really good computers to be found in India? And if it is slightly more expensive, I would rather pay a little more so that I can have a local warranty that I can trust, as well as a sales place and technicians who know my hardware, than getting something from an unknown international source.

I'm in the UAE, and there are really very huge hurdles with regard to importing items. If you do check out Websites, the first thing you need to know, and perhaps you can only confirm this with an e-mail, is to check their shipping policies, as there is a good chance that they won't ship to India even if the appearance is that they ship everywhere. I have just been through an experience in purchasing something successfully on the Web, and then after a long wait, and then checking, found that although they allow you to buy the product online, that they don't ship to the UAE.

The UAE is a very import friendly place, however anything to do with computers and software is a challenge for the individual who wants to do it in a personal capacity. Much better to go to a retailer. My best buys for computers here has been from an expert technician who assembles a computer generically from different specified parts. I'm sure they must be doing that in India too. I have never owned a brand-name computer. I find one has to virtually reformat the hard disk of a new brand-name computer, so that one can get rid of all the junk that comes with it, and then bit by bit discover things that need to be improved. All my computers at work have always been brand-name computers. They have got a bit better lately, but I still prefer my no-brand generic computer at home.
mOrpheuS
deanhills wrote:
Surely there must be really good computers to be found in India? And if it is slightly more expensive, I would rather pay a little more so that I can have a local warranty that I can trust, as well as a sales place and technicians who know my hardware, than getting something from an unknown international source.

ocalhoun wrote:
The higher prices you're seeing are indeed likely the result of the cost of shipping. International shipping charges can be outrageous, so check before buying anything from an overseas retailer.
Local retailers who import things in bulk pay less shipping per item, so they'll probably have a lower overall price for you.

Actually, no one is quite sure why hardware prices are high.
The fast moving, high demand (low budget) items sell for pretty much the USD->INR converted prices.
It's the more "exotic" (mid-to-high end) hardware that costs an arm an a leg.

Take the high-end graphics card, Radeon HD5970, for example -
Price in US - $700/- (Rs. 33,600)
Price in India - $1000/- (Rs.48,050)

As long as the shipping costs $299 or less - importing it is cheaper. Wink
p.s. - And it's not the retailer who's importing and selling that item at that price - it's the manufacturer, who has a significant presence in India. Which means the shipping costs are hardly the reason for the difference in the prices.
speeDemon
Hmm.. ok, looks like I got some explainations..
But if it's not the shipping and imports.. what could it possibly be..?

By the way, does anyone know any person(in person, eg- he may be your friend or relative) who buys stuff in bulk, and then sells it off to other shops..?

I mean, do you know about a person who can give you,... computer parts(for example), at lesser prices than the shopkeepers? if yes, then how much cost can it possibly cut off? I basically want to know the value addition by shopkeepers...

mOrpheuS wrote:
Take the high-end graphics card, Radeon HD5970, for example

Wow, that's quite a jump! By th way, please don't talk about high end gaming cards.. I'm pretty much limited to the HD5770, so when you talk about something like that... well, it's just sad... Razz Very Happy
standready
One other item to consider is possible custom fees (duty) on imported items. Check with your postal service to see if there are any fees and how much for your item.

I have exported my product to several countries. I always point this out to my customers and kindly ask them to let me know if there is any fees. Due to the lower cost of my product, there is usually no custom fees. Shipping can can more than my product sometimes.
deanhills
mOrpheuS wrote:
Price in India - $1000/- (Rs.48,050).
Wow, that IS amazing. So where do you import your computers from? Or do you only import certain of the more expensive parts and assemble the hardware yourself?
speeDemon
deanhills wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
Price in India - $1000/- (Rs.48,050).
Wow, that IS amazing. So where do you import your computers from? Or do you only import certain of the more expensive parts and assemble the hardware yourself?

dont know about mOrpheuS but this my first time shopping online(well, i'm not sure i'll buy anything..). Before this PC, the older one was built just by the parts found in the local shops..

I went to newegg and added up some stuff, and the cost was around 940$, and when i went to a shop, the cost was around 1140$ !! boy, that was a shock...
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:

I went to newegg and added up some stuff, and the cost was around 940$, and when i went to a shop, the cost was around 1140$ !! boy, that was a shock...

Also, online retailers often have special deals worked out with manufacturers, so that they can buy larger amounts for less money per unit.
Your local retailer might not have enough sales volume to make such deals, which may be part of the price difference.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

Also, online retailers often have special deals worked out with manufacturers, so that they can buy larger amounts for less money per unit.
Your local retailer might not have enough sales volume to make such deals, which may be part of the price difference.
I'm not so sure about that, as I think the demand in India is quite high for computers and computer parts. the pricing just doesn't make any sense. For example, India is approximately 4 hours flight from Dubai in the UAE. Their standard flights are almost the same cost as the 16 hour flights to North America. And the demand for flights to India is easily four times that of carriers which travel to Europe and North America. Thankfully they have started one or two low-cost airlines in India, but it is still expensive to visit India relative to Thailand or even Stri Lanka.
achowles
Do newegg ship internationally now? Only last time I enquired they did not. I wanted to buy some things from them because it would have been cheaper to pay the shipping than it would have to buy the same item from the UK. Or at least that's the way it was then. But given the way things have gone, thanks to the recession, I'd imagine that's even more the case now.

Anyway, yeah, sometimes I import. But only when it's definitely cost effective to do so. Which isn't very often.

As for price hikes, this could be because they're showing you the total price which includes shipping (doubtful, but possible) or because they're taking into account VAT or whatever equivalent tax(es) India has.
goutha
In general, prices are the same around the world. The difference will be in duty fees. Watch out these fees when importing. There's a bunch of sites that simulate the real cost in local currency of any item bought from any country. Just a quick search on google will help you identify one on these websites
Ghost900
I have bought some things from other countries and had them imported but I have not bought a computer overseas.
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
I have bought some things from other countries and had them imported but I have not bought a computer overseas.
I've sallivated for some computers, particularly for Sony stand alone computers, as they do not sell those in the Middle East. I'm over that now, but at the time when I was considering it, what held me back was the warranty. It would not have covered the Middle East. Also, there would not have been parts available for it in the Middle East. Right now I don't care that much about Sony any longer for computers. I'm much happier with my assembled models.
ankitdatashn
It does makes a difference in price (and sometimes in quality too) if one orders a thing from different mediums. Take example of iPad : Recently I was seeing the Techguru program and on this program the review of iPad was being shown. It was told that iPad though not sold in india can be purchased from gray markets for about 35000+ INR but the same thing can be purchased from sites like ebay or asked to bring along by relatives for a lesser cost.

Its not just with iPad but with everything, In India owning a cessena can be a dream but in abroad its not so uncommon. Likewise luxury cars have a heavy import duty that's even more than it's base price. The topic might be a bit different but what I am trying to convey is that import duty is always hefty for some countries like that of India.