FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I have a dynamic IP address but why can't I change it?

Denvis
Odd, My IP address never changes, DHCP Enable = Yes and I have no set IP address. Why can't I change it through ipconfig/release?
Fire Boar
Your router assigns you the IP address. Suppose your router is the gateway 192.168.0.1 on the subnet 192.168.0.*. Then usually it will take any devices that request an address via DHCP and assign them the next one available. So the first device to connect would get 192.168.0.2, the second would get 192.168.0.3, and so on.

If you want to change your LAN IP address to something else, you should specify it explicitly as a static IP address. Just don't set it to something near the bottom of the DHCP range in your router, or you might get collisions if other devices try to connect.
Denvis
Fire Boar wrote:
Your router assigns you the IP address. Suppose your router is the gateway 192.168.0.1 on the subnet 192.168.0.*. Then usually it will take any devices that request an address via DHCP and assign them the next one available. So the first device to connect would get 192.168.0.2, the second would get 192.168.0.3, and so on.

If you want to change your LAN IP address to something else, you should specify it explicitly as a static IP address. Just don't set it to something near the bottom of the DHCP range in your router, or you might get collisions if other devices try to connect.

I changed it, however without using the ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew function in cmd. I changed it manually.I did a little research and it turns out I can only change the last number(s) of the ip address, having it between only 1 and 15. 192.168.1.1-15, why's that? Does that mean I can only have 15 computers connected using the one IP address?
rickylau
Denvis wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

I changed it, however without using the ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew function in cmd. I changed it manually.I did a little research and it turns out I can only change the last number(s) of the ip address, having it between only 1 and 15. 192.168.1.1-15, why's that? Does that mean I can only have 15 computers connected using the one IP address?
Is the subnet mask of your network set to 255.255.255.240? This means The first 28 bits of the IP is network portion, and other bits are host portion (0000b - 1111b = 0 - 15, but 0 is used for network address and 15 is used for broadcast so you can have 14 host in the network). I think you can change subnet mask via router's control panel (remember to change both router and your PC if you don't use DHCP).
jdelfire
What is your router??? if your being limited to that range... your router ip address settings must be set to that limit... because there are certain routers that can be configured

For example using netgear wgr614

1. access the GUI of your router 192.168.1.1
2. Go to the advance
3. click LAN IP Setup

Inside you will see this
LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address . . . 192.168.1.1 <--- this is the ip address of your router
IP Subnet Mask . . . 255.255.255.0 <--- the subnet mask

Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP Address . . . 192.168.1.2 <----- is the starting ip
Ending IP Address . . . 192.168.1.254 <--- is the maximum

meaning you can have 253 pc's connected...
since ip address 1 is your router that won't count as a pc
ip address 2 subtract it from 254 = 253 pc's

in short just check the ending ip address of your router because some routers by default its set to 15 pc's. since you that in your router already change it to 254.. or your desired number of PC's
i just provided some info...

please provide feedback.
Denvis
I get it, there's a limit,

I went into my router and changed the settings according to your response

DHCP Server On

Start IP: ***.***.***.2

End IP: ***.***.***.254

Thanks
mindfox
Denvis wrote:
Odd, My IP address never changes, DHCP Enable = Yes and I have no set IP address. Why can't I change it through ipconfig/release?

Although all the previous post gives an explanation (and solution) to what you're asking, I read it more carefully and found out that there's more than meets the eye; why exactly do you want to change your ip address?

If you want to have a new IP address for websites for example, then you don't want your "internal" ip address but the "external" one (aka as private/internal and public/external).

If that's the case, then only if your internet account is under Dynamic IP profile (the most preferred way and the cheapest one) your ip changes, according to the rules your ISP sets (for example, each time your router connects to your account, or every Nth hours).

You can always disconnect and reconnect to your account (or even better, reset or switch off and on your router)