FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


New computer.. i5 750 or phenom 4x, XP or 7?





speeDemon
Hi all!!
I'm back after some time...
and guess what, I'm buying a new desktop pc..

I wanted some guidance in the process...
I had some doubts about which processor to take, which graphic card to take, OS, audio card, monitor.. and stuff..

My fist choices were as follows- i5 750 processor, with 1 GB graphic card, 22" LCD monitor, 4 GB RAM, windows 7 OS, 500GB hard disk.

My main concerns are-

1)Flash(I have CS3), Sony Vegas(or any other video editing software) and Photoshop, along with Anim8or or Maya(if I can get it).

2)Music, Movies, torrents, and the usual dose of internet surfing.

3)Playing new games(I am no hardcore player, but I want a computer that can support my needs, in case I ever do play such games, I do get involved in games a lot, but I just don't have any good ones yet)

4)Bug and error free computing.. (In the previous 4 years, I've formatted my computer atleast 8 times...!!)

As I said, I'm no hardcore gamer, but I want something which can fulfill my dreams of playing new games lest I ever have any!

Processor:
I pretty much made my choice - i5 750 - when someone told me that AMD phenom is better than intel's i5... arr... then I went through a lot of websites, and I didnt get a good conclusion...
what would you suggest?

OS:
I wanted to play GTA IV, and well, I heard that there were some problems in installing/running it in windows 7. XP has been a good partner for years together! and it works alright.. though I wanted a new and fresh interface and better performance, but I can't sacrafice GTA IV for that!!

Other than that I'll like to add that I am a person who has been using a pentium 4 computer with 64 MB integrated Graphic card, and 512 MB RAM! So I personally think that any of these processors and OSs will be a huge leap of advancement... what do you think?

My Budget is around 600$ (30k INR)
Diablosblizz
I can't help you with hardware, however the operating systems are a big deal. Newer games, for example: Just Cause 2, are NOT being developed for Windows XP, and are being developed for DirectX 10 and higher. More and more games are being released without DirectX 9 support, so keep that in mind.

I don't see why GTA4 wouldn't install, if it runs on Vista it will run on 7.

On the hardware front, I can only tell you that most modern-day processors can handle Flash, torrenting, music and more. You shouldn't have a problem with that. The games / Maya are what you should be worrying about more.
mOrpheuS
speeDemon wrote:
someone told me that AMD phenom is better than intel's i5

The i5 would be the better choice due to lower power consumption and thermal dissipation (important factor in places with not-so-cold weather), better memory bandwidth and, ofcourse, benchmark results - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/core_i5?page=0%2C6

Also, Phenom II is the family of processors that you're probably talking about - plain old Phenom doesn't even come close.

speeDemon wrote:
1 GB graphic card

Well, memory is just one aspect of graphics card capabilities. The GPU is, in my opinion, more important.
Which card are you looking at ?
I'm not sure you'd be able to get a good graphics card in your budget. GTA-IV would be a punishment to any budget graphics card.

speeDemon wrote:
22" LCD monitor

Although the dealer would probably try to sell you a 1680x1050 monitor - there are available full-HD monitors in that screen size. Try to get one of those, if possible.
speeDemon
Hmm..... ok then I'll get the i5 750, with a p55 motherboard, windows 7.

About the graphic card... well, I just don't know which one is good... If The GPU(As you said) matters more, then which one would you suggest.. I'm looking forward to push my budget, if I can get something good for a little more... I really dont want to punish GTA IV, now, do I?!!

Could you also tell me about the different things about graphic cards.. I mean, how does the RAM(of the graphic card) and GPU really affect performance..? If I take a card of 512 MB can it possibly work better than a 1GB card?

In case of the monitor, well, I think i'll just hook up my computer to my 42" LCD Sony Bravia with HDMI... It'll save a few bucks...

Also, how does the reolution affect perforamce
mOrpheuS
speeDemon wrote:
About the graphic card... well, I just don't know which one is good... If The GPU(As you said) matters more, then which one would you suggest.. I'm looking forward to push my budget, if I can get something good for a little more... I really dont want to punish GTA IV, now, do I?!!

nVidia 9800GT (about Rs. 7000/-), ATI 4850 (about Rs. 8000/-), nVidia GTS250 (about Rs. 8000/-) or AMD 4870 (about Rs. 9000/-) should be able to manage GTA-IV at medium settings.

Be warned though, all of these are previous generation graphics cards (with the exception of nVidia GTS250).

Look for online benchmarks on the card you're buying to get a fair idea about what to expect out of it.

speeDemon wrote:
Could you also tell me about the different things about graphic cards.. I mean, how does the RAM(of the graphic card) and GPU really affect performance..? If I take a card of 512 MB can it possibly work better than a 1GB card?

RAM on the graphics card is mostly used for storing uncompressed textures before they are drawn on-screen (during the time the GPU works on them) - more RAM usually means the card can afford to store and draw more detailed textures.
The GPU on the other hand affects almost every performance aspect - the drawing of polygons and pixels, applying textures to pixels and shapes, applying the lighting, shaders, texture filtering, anti-aliasing etc.
Rendering, in short.

So, a card with a very good GPU and not-so-much RAM can easily outperform another card which has lots of RAM but a not-so-good GPU.

GTA, specifically, needs a lot of RAM because of the vast world it shows. More RAM on your Graphics card helps if to draw more of this textured world (more draw distance).

speeDemon wrote:
Also, how does the reolution affect perforamce

The resolution, translates into number of pixels being drawn on screen.
The higher the resolution, the more the number of pixels to process and draw - which means the graphics card would be able to draw fewer frames per second at higher resolution.

Also, higher resolution means more area to work in - invaluable if you do development/design work.

warning -
Once you get used to playing games at higher resolutions, you'll find lower resolutions appalling.
Also, once you get used to playing games on a 42" screen, you'll find smaller screens appalling. Wink
Diablosblizz
I'd recommend the ATI 4770, it's about $105 CDN, so if it's the INR it would convert to about 4666 INR. I picked mine up on Newegg.ca for about $100, and it's a very awesome card. Will play GTA4 no problems as long as you've got the processor / ram power to back it up.

Take a look my friend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369&cm_re=ATI_4770-_-14-150-369-_-Product

Just a word of advice, stay AWAY from the nVidia 9500, it's not a gaming card. I was lured with it's cheap price, but I really payed the price in the end.
speeDemon
Hmm... the 4770 looks good,, what do you think about the 5770 (for 150$) ?

btw
Quote:
nVidia 9800GT (about Rs. 7000/-), ATI 4850 (about Rs. 8000/-), nVidia GTS250 (about Rs. 8000/-) or AMD 4870 (about Rs. 9000/-) should be able to manage GTA-IV at medium settings.

Be warned though, all of these are previous generation graphics cards (with the exception of nVidia GTS250).

Look for online benchmarks on the card you're buying to get a fair idea about what to expect out of it.

the 5770 has direct x 11 support right.. and I;ve heard that its(1GB) for about Rs.8000.

Thanks for the info on the GPU and RAM!

Quote:
warning -
Once you get used to playing games at higher resolutions, you'll find lower resolutions appalling.
Also, once you get used to playing games on a 42" screen, you'll find smaller screens appalling.

haha thanks for that advice... It's much more important than what I thought at first..!
speeDemon
alright, I made my final choice, so here goes! -

i5 750
P55 motherboard
ATI Radeon 5770
RAM 2X 2GB DDR3(wait a second, i5 750 supports DDR3 right?)
500GB HDD
DVD combo optical drive
Windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
Creative 5.1 speakers
PSU

Well, I think that should be enough.. if not, then well... boohoo... Razz
I went way over my budget, I think.. but well, I guess its better to get good and upgradable stuff.

The HDD, optical drive and PSU should be the areas where I try to save some bucks..
mOrpheuS
speeDemon wrote:
the 5770 has direct x 11 support right.. and I;ve heard that its(1GB) for about Rs.8000.

For that price, it's the best option.

I have the very same card.
The reason I didn't suggest it to you is that it cost me Rs. 11000/- (around the beginning of this year). The price must have dropped since then. Cool

I had played GTA-IV on 8800GT 512MB before.
Now I've lost the DVD and fried that graphics card.
I've ordered GTA-IV from zapak as I write this, time to play through again. Very Happy
saratdear
Hey speeDemon,

I read all the helpful posts in this thread and they will be useful for me as well. You seem to be getting a good powerful system.

One thing I would suggest is never compromise on the PSU. I only said this because you said you'd try to save a few bucks on it. I've been burned by idiot PSUs in the past (not literally, fortunately) and I say you go for a branded one which would protect your gear. And you are getting a UPS right?
speeDemon
mOrpheuS wrote:
The reason I didn't suggest it to you is that it cost me Rs. 11000/- (around the beginning of this year). The price must have dropped since then. Cool

I had played GTA-IV on 8800GT 512MB before.
Now I've lost the DVD and fried that graphics card.
I've ordered GTA-IV from zapak as I write this, time to play through again. Very Happy


Very Happy , How much did you get GTA4 for on zapak.com ?
Wow, I've not even opened zapak for like 2 years now.. I just used to play multiplayer and get chips(or points, whatever they were..)

I didn't know that zapak had an online shop... cool!

You say you fried your graphic card...? That actually frightens me! how could you possibly do that..?
Do you overclock your system? If yes,then please give me a guide!

saratdear wrote:
I read all the helpful posts in this thread and they will be useful for me as well. You seem to be getting a good powerful system.

One thing I would suggest is never compromise on the PSU. I only said this because you said you'd try to save a few bucks on it. I've been burned by idiot PSUs in the past (not literally, fortunately) and I say you go for a branded one which would protect your gear. And you are getting a UPS right?
Yeah, I actually wanted to find a similar post, and then read through, to gain some knowleddge... and well, I guess now this will help some other users as well...

I never really had a psu or ups earlier(on my pentium 4) but now I guess I'll have to get both of these baddies! After all I don't want to ruin my brand new computer!

I almost forgot! could you guys tell me if I should stay at the shop while they assemble the pc, and also, should I take all the boxes(of the processor and graphic card for example) with me.. as they contain some stuff and sometimes even games...
saratdear
speeDemon wrote:


saratdear wrote:
I read all the helpful posts in this thread and they will be useful for me as well. You seem to be getting a good powerful system.

One thing I would suggest is never compromise on the PSU. I only said this because you said you'd try to save a few bucks on it. I've been burned by idiot PSUs in the past (not literally, fortunately) and I say you go for a branded one which would protect your gear. And you are getting a UPS right?
Yeah, I actually wanted to find a similar post, and then read through, to gain some knowleddge... and well, I guess now this will help some other users as well...

I never really had a psu or ups earlier(on my pentium 4) but now I guess I'll have to get both of these baddies! After all I don't want to ruin my brand new computer!

I almost forgot! could you guys tell me if I should stay at the shop while they assemble the pc, and also, should I take all the boxes(of the processor and graphic card for example) with me.. as they contain some stuff and sometimes even games...

Just to make it clear, even if you didn't have a UPS, you had a PSU. It's not a choice not to have one. Uou could choose one from a more respectable brand.
mOrpheuS
speeDemon wrote:
Very Happy , How much did you get GTA4 for on zapak.com ?
Wow, I've not even opened zapak for like 2 years now.. I just used to play multiplayer and get chips(or points, whatever they were..)

I didn't know that zapak had an online shop... cool!

You say you fried your graphic card...? That actually frightens me! how could you possibly do that..?
Do you overclock your system? If yes,then please give me a guide!

It arrived yesterday. Smile
GTA-IV retails for Rs. 499/- in India (only game ever that's been priced correctly for the market here).
With the coupon code "ZAPDEAL50", you get an additional Rs. 50/- off. They also have free shipping.

I fried my graphics card not by overclocking, but by a loose connection in the cabinet - the cabinet's fan connector somehow short-circuited with the graphics card.
Overclocking, in my opinion, is pointless.
Related topics
New Computer...Advice Please...
New Computer Specs
What would you do with a new Computer?
Buying new computer, need advice
Two new computer worms detected
New computer slower than old one??!!
New computer, want to upgrade ram.
XP onto new Computer
New Computer!
buying new computer, suggest configuration...
Moved, and new computer (IM BACK)
I got a new computer!
My New Computer
Active Directory - Add new computer and set MAC address
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.