FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sherlock Holmes

anakin_skyrunner
I was just wondering, has anybody else seen Sherlock Holmes?
I watched it in cinema in January for the first time and now again - I really love it^^ It's just.. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. make such a fantastic Watson/Holmes duo. I know, many don't like them for whatever reason, I do like them. Perhaps it's because I haven't really seen any other Sherlock Holmes movie (despite the fact there are so many) and thus can't compare them to other (perhaps better) performances.
Anyway, I like the actors, the dialouges, the picture .. pretty much everything. I'd give it 7.5/10 stars (or 8 if half points don't count Razz )

Did you see it? Did you like it or not? What rating would you give it?

Looking forward to your comments frihosters Smile
snowboardalliance
It was a good movie but I almost felt like I had higher expectations for it. Still all around good and I love the cleverness of Sherlock Holmes.
rayxzero
Some of the scene here where Robert Downey talking so fast that i cannot understand what he was saying, but it is a good movie.
anakin_skyrunner
snowboardalliance wrote:
It was a good movie but I almost felt like I had higher expectations for it. Still all around good and I love the cleverness of Sherlock Holmes.

I hadn't really known anything about the movie, not more than the main cast or so. Perhaps that's why I like it so much - because I didn't have high expectations^^

rayxzero wrote:
Some of the scene here where Robert Downey talking so fast that i cannot understand what he was saying, but it is a good movie.

I wouldn't say too fast, but too silent at some points, yes... But I agree with that, had a hard time following his lines in Tropic Thunder as well, but that's due to other reasons I think Cool
kutekitten
The movie exceeded my expectations. There are very few (if any) movies that can take stories/books as great as Sherlock Holmes and make an accurate movie. They got Sherlock Holmes' personality PERFECTLY. I've read every single Sherlock Holmes story, I've never been more impressed by a movie.

rayxzero wrote:

I think that at parts, that was kind of the point, Holmes is supposed to be able to think faster than most people (he's a genius), and so when he speaks, it's very hard to keep up and comprehend everything he says. It does take away from the movie a bit though, I agree.[/quote]
silverdown
i haven't seen it yet but i plan to i been told by many ppl it was good and some said there should or could be more to it.
joostvane
Good movie, I certainly recommend it!
visworld
gr8 movie but i prefer readin his books...coz i think i hv a better char. of sherlock holmes in my mind thn downey :p
jigoku05
I like Robert Downey jr.'s acting and Jude Law is good as ever. But the plot is not creative, I wished they adapted from the novels.
microkosm
The first time I watched the movie I immediately felt is was too "fast." The dialogue, physical acting, music seemed on fast forward. Then I realized this film was directed by Guy Ritchie, who's known for that and it made sense.

The second time thru, I was able to appreciate the movie more, probably b/c I passed over many of the details on the initial run. The ending seems to promise a sequel. Sometimes I wish filmmakers were more interested in creating a substantial narrative instead of creating a drawn-out opera.
Covert-Waffles
I really did like this movie, but after a while I started to not like it as much as I did at first.

Dont get me wrong, it is a great movie. But only for the first few times you watch it.
bloodrider
I loved the movie... Very Happy fantastic!
deanhills
I used to like Sherlock Holmes type movies, but must have grown out of it. I'm more into contemporary Miami Vice type movies these days. Or something with real imagination like "V" for Vendetta.
Radar
We now have a sequel on the horizon.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, so I'm not holding out high hopes, but at the same time I think they have to hit just the right note or this will be a bit of disappointment.
mgeek
The characters in the movie are different from the way I imagine them reading Conan Doyle's stories. But I agree, the movie was interesting.
kacsababa
Its an action-adventure movie directed by Guy Ritchie, it was inevitable that it will not be faitful to Doyle, the first movie and now this too.
Its a different media and genre. I'm actually ok with that, I love the books and I like the movie too
Insanity
I don't really like how they changed it from how it's originally intended as a mystery novel. I'm sure they were trying to come up with something new and exciting for a very old series, but it seems so different that it's making a mockery of the original books. I suppose it's to each his own, but the movie doesn't seem to suit my view of how the storylines should run, even though there are a lot of similar allusions and references.
rogue_skydragon
I agree with most of the above. The first film deviated so far from the original Sherlock that it in essence created a whole different character altogether. Guy Ritchie has made a mockery of Sherlock indeed.
portoskt
i liked this movie, i would like to see second part
kacsababa
It is different, but I don't see it as a mockery, it is an adaptation to a different genre.
If it would be a serious crime drama and the characters would be still like this then it would be a mockery.
Blummer
I can agree with previous poster. And I can also say, in my view it doesn't offend any original version, it's just a good story...It may be overcomplicated by action scenes, but after all why not, imagine if Holmes was not the Holmes we all know...and what if he had to encounter things like these.
portoskt
is the second part better, or first one?
Blummer
Hard to say, really. There is stuff which you might like in 2nd one or maybe dislike. But it's still very dynamic in terms of actions.
Radar
I have since discovered that I like the second one much more than the first. They found the good things, and did away with the bad things.

Yeah, okay, maybe the sped up action was overdone, but you lived with it.
welshsteve
Great film. Haven't seen the second one yet.

Anyone seen the BBC TV series with Benedict Cumberbach and Martin Freeman? Very good!!
Bondings
welshsteve wrote:
Great film. Haven't seen the second one yet.

Anyone seen the BBC TV series with Benedict Cumberbach and Martin Freeman? Very good!!

Yes, I loved it. A lot better than the movies (which weren't bad either). Unfortunately it's a long wait for season 3.
adri
Haven't seen the second movie of Sherlock Holmes yet. (Not that I'm really eager to see it >.> ) I am a fan of the Modern Sherlock Holmes (BBC) with Cumberbatch and Freeman. Smile I still remember watching the news show on BBC1 in the morning and seeing Benedict talk about the first episode of the modern adaptation. I was immediately hooked. Very Happy I watched the first season on BBC, second season on my computer.

It's indeed a long wait 'till season three but I prefer a long wait over a crappy show/third season. Smile

adri
bananko
its too much sherlock around for me today... i just watched movie, dont like to watch tv show
HAL9000
Both Downey Jr movies were a lot better than I was expecting given that Guy Ritchie has such a mixed record. The writing was pretty solid on both.

And the TV series is awesome. So I'm a pretty big fan of both interpretations. The new US TV version of Sherlock might be awful though...
playfungames
I watched this movie around a month ago. It was interesting and I really admire Robert Downey Jr.'s part in this movie. He fits the role perfectly.
LostOverThere
playfungames wrote:
I watched this movie around a month ago. It was interesting and I really admire Robert Downey Jr.'s part in this movie. He fits the role perfectly.

Yep. Whatever you may think about the film, Robert Downey Jr really nails the role. He takes the character of Holmes and makes it his own. It's great.
Radar
LostOverThere wrote:
Whatever you may think about the film, Robert Downey Jr really nails the role. He takes the character of Holmes and makes it his own. It's great.

I'm pretty sure that's what some people disliked about the movie, but you know.
manfer
I prefer and I would recommend the recent TV series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson.

This is the kind of series I prefer with each episode being self contained with a beginning and an end.

As good as the great TV series Columbo (1971-2003) starring Peter Falk.
Blummer
Oh yeah, Sherlock series are stunning, in my view. The idea seemed quite strange, but watching it made my life better (I'm pretty sure). It has become so influential, that US decided to make its own version.
blarchitect
The UK tv series of the same is an excellent modern day update. Check it out
zimmer
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
I was just wondering, has anybody else seen Sherlock Holmes?
I watched it in cinema in January for the first time and now again - I really love it^^ It's just.. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. make such a fantastic Watson/Holmes duo. I know, many don't like them for whatever reason, I do like them. Perhaps it's because I haven't really seen any other Sherlock Holmes movie (despite the fact there are so many) and thus can't compare them to other (perhaps better) performances.
Anyway, I like the actors, the dialouges, the picture .. pretty much everything. I'd give it 7.5/10 stars (or 8 if half points don't count Razz )

Did you see it? Did you like it or not? What rating would you give it?

Looking forward to your comments frihosters Smile

I have seen it also.. very nice move.. long movie and very entertaining...
TurtleShell
Have no plans to ever see the movies, but I just watched the BBC series yesterday and it's awesome. just flippin awesome. As a big fan of the original stories, I was completely floored by the way they very carefully preserved some of the best stuff (Sherlock's character quirks, plots lines, even lines of dialogue) while tweaking some other parts (Watson's not such wimp, Moriarty is like a complete psychopath) to make this really smart, captivating television show.

Cons: they talk waaayyy too fast. Maybe it's because I'm unused to the accents but I had to rewind some parts 5 or more times and sometimes I still didn't know what was said.

I refuse to watch the movies because I'm in the camp of people who object to the dramatic changes they've made to the entire collection of stories.
lucascoelho
I don't know much about Holmes... I know what they say was his influence on House, though!

Beginning by their names, as we can see Holmes sounds and looks a lot like "home", which is directly connected to "house".

Besides, House started living on the same building number as Holmes (not sure about the street name).

More interestingly there are two characteristics: both have their loyal and faithful friend and helper, whose names are also close: Watson to Holmes and Wilson to House. The second nice stuff is the very nature of their jobs... It's all about investigation!

Yes, House's medicine is just a façade, what he REALLY does is investigate, solve puzzles... well, that's SOOO Holmes-like! Very Happy