FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)

Denvis
Quote:
The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is a proposed plurilateral trade agreement for establishing international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement throughout the participating countries. Its proponents describe it as a response "to the increase in global trade of counterfeit goods and pirated copyright protected works." The scope of ACTA is broad, including counterfeit goods, generic medicines, as well as "piracy over the Internet".

So that's basically what it's all about... However, what concerns me is the "privacy over the Internet". Now check this...

Quote:
Critics argue ACTA is part of a broader strategy of venue shopping and policy laundering employed by the trade representatives of the US, EU, Japan, and other supporters of rigid intellectual property enforcement. This strategy entails negotiating for terms in international treaties that might prove too politically unpopular to pass in national assemblies. Similar terms and provisions currently appear in the World Customs Organization draft SECURE treaty, and critics have argued that the anticircumvention provisions of Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act were similarly passed after policy laundering via treaties negotiated through the World Intellectual Property Organization."

Says US, EU and Japan however I live in Australia so I assume this doesn't involve me? Oh, but this is not the best part. Read this.

Quote:
ACTA would establish a new international legal framework that countries can join on a voluntary basis and would create its own governing body outside existing international institutions such as the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) or the United Nations.

Soon everybody will join it.

Quote:
ACTA includes a provision to force Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to provide information about suspected copyright infringers without a warrant

So if you're downloading files illegally from websites like Pirate Bay ... It will soon end.

What do you guys think?
ocalhoun
Denvis wrote:

So if you're downloading files illegally from websites like Pirate Bay ... It will soon end.

What do you guys think?

There will always be some country around the world that hasn't signed on, or fails to enforce it.
And that's where 'copyright infringing' will take place.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
There will always be some country around the world that hasn't signed on, or fails to enforce it. And that's where 'copyright infringing' will take place.
I'm happy to hear that. My greatest fear is that one day we would not be allowed to use aliases anymore, and will be forced to open e-mail accounts like we would apply for a passport. Once Governments get their nasty hands on policing the Internet, their interference is almost certainly going to become of the controlling variety. Such as China and Iran are already showing, with wishing to get access to people's e-mail accounts.
Denvis
There will be always some country in the world that wouldn't sign it but what are the chances of that being the major countries. God... ISPs being forced to give information about their users... Wrong wrong wrong...

I think it's stupid. There are so many other things in the world more important that trying to control one of the last few free things in the world. The internet. This software piracy is an issue but not that big of an issue. Talentless artists such as lady gaga isn't making 15 million dollars and only making 13 million dollars because people are downloading her music illegal. Who cares, it's crap to begin with.