FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP password expired!

pollux1er
Hey guys, I have my xp password that has expired, and I want to cancel it. A friend told me there was a soft which can boot the computer and allow you to delete your xp password. Where can I find it, because he does not know the name of that soft.

Thanks a lot.
Diablosblizz
I'm not sure what you mean, Windows XP passwords cannot "expire", it's not possible without 3rd party software. Anyways, to reset your password you could boot into Safe Mode and hope that the hidden administrator account is password free. To boot into safe mode restart your computer and rapidly press F8 until it asks you to boot into Safe mode (doesn't matter which one).
pollux1er
Diablosblizz wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, Windows XP passwords cannot "expire", it's not possible without 3rd party software. Anyways, to reset your password you could boot into Safe Mode and hope that the hidden administrator account is password free. To boot into safe mode restart your computer and rapidly press F8 until it asks you to boot into Safe mode (doesn't matter which one).

May be it is lost, I don't know how to explain. But a friend of mine talked of a soft which boot the machine before the Operating system, what offers you the capability to delete your password. But what is the name of that software?
Diablosblizz
I don't know the program, but like I said try to boot into Safe mode and see if you can get into the Administrator account and reset the password of your account.
badai
the main admin account can't be set to expire, so log in with that account.

if the account don't have any password, just press ctrl+alt+del and log in with Administrator/blank password.

if it have password, then maybe you need to google because it's not allowed to post any cracking software here.
mukesh
guys if administrator have also protect with password and i loss it then have any other option to reset password?
badai
it's not 2012 yet. google for "reset xp password". got dozens of free software out there, but most anti virus will flagged them as virus.
pollux1er
Normally I am french. I got a procedure to do it. Thanks to you all for help. This is the link, but it is in french! Wink
surdy
good that you figured out . But just for reference i am writing about the utility i used to reset XP passwords ....CHNTPW ( http://freshmeat.net/projects/chntpw/ )
It is Linux based. But if you don't have Linux you could use any tiny linux distros to use this utility.
wowfan
you can config it on Group Policy panel
run->"gpedit.msc"
peter8773
I think what you need is a bootable password reset CD, here is one of the most popular programs:
http://www.windows-key-finder.com/

Hope it helps!
k_s_baskar
And you can also try this http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ for free.
ChrisCh
Diablosblizz wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, Windows XP passwords cannot "expire"
They most certainly can, actually - particular if a user is connected to a Domain/Active Directory network. Alternately, (home-based) XP Professional users can still set expiry dates on both an account's password, and also an account... and it's also possible in XP Home if you know the correct command-line queries.

To see this, open up CMD, then type in "net user (your username)" and press enter - you can see many things, including if the account and/or password has been set to expire Smile

As for recovering/removing the password, if it's XP Home, have you tried rebooting in safe mode, and simply using the Administrator account? If it's XP Pro, simply press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice when you're on the XP Welcome Screen, and a login box appears where you can access the Administrator account. Smile
poalwhirl
pollux1er wrote:
Hey guys, I have my xp password that has expired, and I want to cancel it. A friend told me there was a soft which can boot the computer and allow you to delete your xp password. Where can I find it, because he does not know the name of that soft.

Thanks a lot.

If you lost Windows XP password, you can log on as an administrator to reset the password. Follow this:
1) Restart the computer.
2) Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE twice, then type the name of the administrator user account.
3) Type the administrator password in the password box, and then click OK.
4) Click START ->> RUN ->> Type 'control userpasswords2' ->> click OK.
5) On the Users tab, click the name of the user account that you want to reset the password for, and then click Reset Password.
6) Type a new password in the New password box, and then type the password again in the Confirm new password box, and then click OK.
7) Restart the computer, and then try to log on to Windows again.

If you forgot or lost your Windows password, you can log on as a valid administrator account to reset all users and other administrators password, without any tool. But, if you forgot your only administrator password, you can reinstall your system with Boot-CD, or reset your Windows password with a Windows Password Reset Disk if you got one, or use some Windows password recovery tool to reset the password. Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 is a good choice for Windows password recovery, it can easily reset Windows user and administrator password to blank without reintalling your system.