FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu - some questions

welshsteve
Hi everyone, I've recently started using ubuntu and am now looking to do a few things but have stumbled across problems.

1. Trying to run the UK based FIVE ON DEMAND at www.five.tv. They say it supposed support any computer with a browser capable of running flash. But the website is also telling me that my operating system is not supported. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, and Update Manager is telling me a new distribution is available (version 9). But when I run the upgrade I get the below message.

Upgrading may negatively affect your desktop effects as well as performance in games and other graphically intensive programs.

This computer is currently using the AMD 'fglrx' graphics driver. No version of this driver is available that works with your hardware in Ubuntu 9.04.

Do you want to continue?

Is it ok to upgrade? Do you think I should run a live cd over the top first to see if it brings any problems?

3. Trying to run VirtualBox and have installed Windows XP in virtual machine. But it won't start, I get this error.

Failed to start virtual machine winxp

Failed to initialize Host Interface Networking.
VBox status code: -3100 (VERR_HOSTIF_INIT_FAILED).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {e3c6d4a1-a935-47ca-b16d-f9e9c496e53e}

Tried searching Google, but the results are really techy and despite following the procedures in the pages I found, I still get the same problem.

Can anybody help on any of these issues? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Diablosblizz
1. Install Wine and run Firefox or whatever through Wine.
2. As you suggested, run the Live CD first.
3. Can't help you here.
welshsteve
ah, I have wine installed already, I'll try doing that.
metalfreek
May be you should install 9.10 and try that again.
welshsteve
yeah, maybe I will. I'm just a little worried about point 2 I mentioned above. I'll try the live cd and if no ill effects occur, I'll do the full upgrade, and as you say, maybe this will solve the other issues anyway. If that works, I won;t need virtual box anyway.
Fire Boar
There shouldn't be any need to upgrade, really, if you're happy with what you've got. I'd suggest waiting about a month for ubuntu 10.04 to come out (exact release date: 29th April), and installing that from scratch rather than upgrading. The main reason being, 10.04 is a long-term support release.

For the Five thing, you could use Wine, or you could install the Firefox User Agent Switcher plugin. This lets you pretend that Firefox is actually running under Windows.
albuferque
Absolutely, wait for Lucid Lynx to come out. Also repositories will include a newer gnash version.
LostOverThere
Quote:
There shouldn't be any need to upgrade, really, if you're happy with what you've got. I'd suggest waiting about a month for ubuntu 10.04 to come out (exact release date: 29th April), and installing that from scratch rather than upgrading. The main reason being, 10.04 is a long-term support release.

Yeah, definitely way until Lucid, especially seeing many people (myself included) had some major problems with 9.10.
welshsteve
Thank you everyone. I think I'll wait for the version 10 then. I have now got some of the on demand tv stuff working.