FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

German Government Says No to Firefox

Nick2008
Quote:

German's official cyber-security response team is advising surfers not to use Firefox pending the release of a patch to defend against a critical unpatched vulnerability.

Quote:

Versions of Firefox prior to 3.6 are not prone to this specific vulnerability but are subject to other bugs

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/22/germany_firefox_warning/

See, the government is now responsible for advising consumers on which web browsers not to use. It's not like some browser bug threatens the integrity of the German government and its people. Laughing
Hogwarts
Nick2008 wrote:
Quote:

German's official cyber-security response team is advising surfers not to use Firefox pending the release of a patch to defend against a critical unpatched vulnerability.

Quote:

Versions of Firefox prior to 3.6 are not prone to this specific vulnerability but are subject to other bugs

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/22/germany_firefox_warning/

See, the government is now responsible for advising consumers on which web browsers not to use. It's not like some browser bug threatens the integrity of the German government and its people. Laughing

Uh, it's not the government saying that. It's people working for the government saying that. You know, a "cyber-security response team"? I mean, I imagine they're meant to advise people about .. cyber security
Stubru Freak
I have a beta-updating Firefox, so I have the new, safe, version already.
ganjour
Quote:
German Government Says No to Firefox

And to that they say yes?
FunDa
Quote:
The German government, which previously urged surfers to stay off IE in January for similar unpatched security bug reasons, has now taken a stand against Firefox.

Looks like they were not partial about it.

But is this standard protocol for the numerous bugs being found and repaired in all the software available.

Atleast for open-source software, bugs can be seen and fixed to everyone's satisfaction. Closed source software may have numerous bugs which we may not know about till they are exploited.

Do they know about Operation Aurora ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Aurora
McAfee reported that the attackers had exploited zero-day vulnerabilities (unfixed and previously unknown to the public) in Internet Explorer
On January 12, 2010, Google in an unusual move revealed on its blog that it had been the victim of a cyber attack. The company said the attack occurred in mid-December and originated from China. Google stated that over 20 other companies had been attacked, other sources have since cited that more than 34 organizations were targeted.
Adobe Systems, Juniper Networks, Rackspace have publicly confirmed that they were targeted. According to media reports, Yahoo, Symantec, Northrop Grumman and Dow Chemical were also among the targets.
harismushtaq
In open source software, is it a common practice that source code is constantly reviewed to find bugs like this. I understand that it is possible to do that but is it really a practice? I personally think that even for open source software, bugs like these are usually discovered by users.

In companies like MS and Opera, I believe there are processes like code reviews and QA/testing to find any such bugs before the product/version goes in the market.

One should not blame Firefox team or the software but I think we all should understand that all software that we use whether it is open source, a non-open source free software or commercial software, it is written by humans and there are possibility of mistakes/bugs.

I have seen Firefox code and I think that it is a huge code base written by hundreds of programmers and introduction of small but critical bugs can be easy. Still they are doing really well in terms of market that the browser has captured.
Stubru Freak
harismushtaq wrote:
In open source software, is it a common practice that source code is constantly reviewed to find bugs like this. I understand that it is possible to do that but is it really a practice? I personally think that even for open source software, bugs like these are usually discovered by users.

In companies like MS and Opera, I believe there are processes like code reviews and QA/testing to find any such bugs before the product/version goes in the market.

That's exactly the point: in open source, the user is the developer. So when a user finds a bug, he can alert the development team and they can fix the code, where in commercial software, the code often isn't fixed until someone finds a way to exploit it.

And Mozilla is obviously also doing code reviews and QA testing.
Starrfoxx
I like Firefox. I use it with IE, and I only use IE when a site doesn't pull up correctly in Firefox. I love Germany, because I was stationed there when in the Army. I can't imagine not being able to use Firefox, though.
aningbo
why on earth would the government have a hand on which browser to use?
this is insane lol

anyways m using chrome, safari, firefox and opera at the moment on my macbook pro. google chrome seems to be the best.

firefox is way too bulky although i use to be the firefox guy. firefox developers need to learn something or two from the google developers.