FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IP Whitelisting Windows 7

taytay
Does anyone know how I can easily setup a whitelist of IP's that are allowed to connect to a certian port on my computer? say I wanted to whitelist just a few IP's for port 1234. How might I do this? The program listening on that port doesn't have any whitelisting or IP blocking capabilites, but I such a feature would be really nice to improve security on my network.

Any thoughts or Ideas?

I have been trying to use another program to listen on (random number here) port 8080, which does have whitelisting built in, and have that program Proxy the connection to port 1234 on my computer. But i'm not having luck with that program as far as connectivity cross ports via proxy. If anyone knows how to do this that would help also.
Jean-Clod
uh.. you're describing a firewall, or I didn't understand what you said

could you please clarify?
taytay
lol. well a firewall can be used to Whitelist IPs, i do know that, the problem is I want to whitelist IPs Only for this one port. I wish any IP to be able to connect to other ports, like 80, 21, such and such; but only whitelisted IP's on port 1234. I haven't found a firewall that has let me do that yet.
Jean-Clod
I don't know in classic versions of windows, but in windows server 2008 r2, the built-in firewall is able to whitelist IPs for a specific port

in windows 7 (essentially the same core as server 2008 r2) you also have that same firewall, but you need to search for "advanced" in the system&security>firewall part of the control panel
it's not really straightforward to use, but it's powerful, and, I tried, you can whitelist outgoing and ingoing IPs for a specific port, in a specific program

I'll search for PC versions of windows, what do you have?
mOrpheuS
taytay wrote:
lol. well a firewall can be used to Whitelist IPs, i do know that, the problem is I want to whitelist IPs Only for this one port. I wish any IP to be able to connect to other ports, like 80, 21, such and such; but only whitelisted IP's on port 1234. I haven't found a firewall that has let me do that yet.

Confused

This is in Windows XP.

Windows 7 provides even more powerful options for customizing the firewall.
Just search for "firewall" in the start menu (or Run -> wf.msc )

Jean-Clod
mOrpheuS wrote:

For the windows 7 part, that's exactly what I meant, thx for the screenshots!

But I didn't know xp also had these tools in its firewall
taytay
no way?! I feel retarded. Was lookin all over in the firewall settings for this. Somehow I missed it. It's right there... dag.

Thank you so much ^_^
taytay
Now to downgrade to windows Vista because I'm one the many who is having internet connection drops due to poor Windows 7 Programming.......
Jean-Clod
taytay wrote:
Now to downgrade to windows Vista because I'm one the many who is having internet connection drops due to poor Windows 7 Programming.......

Really? Never had something like that, and I'm using 7 in the 3 PCs of my house ^^
I must be lucky, then Laughing
taytay
There's lots of posts all around with people having the same problem, but no universal solution yet. About the only reoccurring factor I've noticed was virus program compatibility issues. I've been usin AVG free edition for the past 5 or so years. I uninstalled it and downloaded a newer version that has a 30 day trial. I didn't even know they had one Shocked Just thought it was always free unless you wanted their internet firewall too. lol. So far so good actually.

I tested simultaneously streaming 1080P HD video from Youtube, while streaming Music from playlist.com, downloading a game ISO torrent file, and checking each link in my toolbar one right after another. Didn't crash once.

Insane if it was just that problem... I'll see if it blinks out again Razz