FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anybody good with logic circuits?

Denvis
Are there any tricks or techniques on how to determine the logic circuit of 2 binary digits (0,1) through the use of a truth table?

For example,

Quote:
A B O
0 0 1
0 1 0
1 0 1
1 1 1

... Would be NAND gate with an NOT gate in the first input (A)
or
... It could be just a AND Gate with 2 NOT gates. One in the first input (A) and output (O)

Right now the only way for me to figure out what the logic circuit is through trial and error which is extremely time consuming. I know all my logic gates (well, the 7 i'm being taught) NOT, AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR, NXOR. However they all have a set output...

For example, AND Gate is always

Quote:
A B O
0 0 0
0 1 0
1 0 0
1 1 1

Let's say...

I'm given a truth table of:

Quote:
A B O
0 0 1
0 1 0
1 0 1
1 1 0

What would be my first step to figure out what logic gate it is? I've been told NAND & OR gates are mostly used simply because NAND gates can be made into any gate.

PS: I know there can be multiple amounts of different circuits for each table
brokenadvice
Yep, It is called a Karnaugh map. You will learn about it soon enough, but if you want a leg up, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map .
Denvis
brokenadvice wrote:
Yep, It is called a Karnaugh map. You will learn about it soon enough, but if you want a leg up, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map .

No, I won't be learning it 'soon enough'. The topic focus has finished and my exam is in 9 days. Thanks for the link. Was hoping for a simplified, step by step method with protocols.