You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

server 4 - down

Is there a problem in server 4? my site is severe slow this morning...
I have also having the same problem. It is taking some time in loading my website.
My website is working well now.
Everything seems ok at the moment? Perhaps it was a momentary thing, backups being run, or someone's site gained a moment of extreme popularity?
Is anyone else unable to connect to server 4?

Unable to connect by HTTP domain name, FTP, port 2222 or the direct IP address.
I checked your website and I can access it normally. It's weird that you aren't able to, maybe a network problem with your isp? Or something is wrong with the dns on the server, however nothing special has changed in a while so that isn't very likely.

Maybe check with a proxy like and .
That's really weird! It's still happening...

I've restarted my modem, router and computer (and I hadn't been changing any settings), checked that the IP hadn't been auto-blocked by one of the router's firewall FLOOD rules (I was, after all, connected via HTTP, FTP (x2) and POP at the same time - so I thought it might be possible...), and completely changed the DNS servers on my machine and network, but nothing...

I tried accessing my site using WIFI on my phone, but it gave the same response ("the connection timed out"). When changing the phone settings to use the 3G network instead, the page loaded (go figure)! I also established a VPN connection to my university, and successfully accessed the site using their network.

Still though, I am unable to make any contact with the Server 4 IP address (pings also show "request timed out", regardless of which of my domains or registered suffix variation I enter (, .com, .info, .net etc)). It also does the same when sending a ping direct to the server IP address. Has this happened to anyone else in the past, and if so, how did you fix it?

The only other thing I can think of is what Bondings suggested above - being an ISP issue. However, I'm having no problems accessing any other sites (whether they be .com,, hosted within AU, or hosted O/S) - just sites hosted on Server 4.

Bondings, this may be a long shot, but do you have any kind of IP filter, firewall rule, or TCP-FLOOD rules with auto-activation running on the server at all? If so, has one perhaps been activated? (My IP address with the issues is different to the one used to post this message, as I'm using my uni VPN - but if you'd like me to PM it to you, I'd be happy to).

If the problem is still happening in the morning, I'll start abusing my ISP :p
I doubt it's the server blocking you. I suggest to wait until tomorrow. There is a very good chance it will work then.
Hi again. Problem is still occurring - it seems to be only when I'm accessing from this particular IP address! I've contacted my ISP, and they're looking into it, but I doubt they'll be any help.

I've just performed a traceroute, and it seems the problem lies at lines 14/15. Is "layeredtech" the company responsible for the server, or did the traceroute not even make it that far? Smile

Many thanks in advance - and thanks for the help and suggestions you've already given! Smile

tracert b***

Tracing route to b*** []
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms
2 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms [220.245.180
3 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms []

4 19 ms 18 ms 20 ms [202.7.171
5 210 ms 210 ms 211 ms [66.198.9
6 211 ms 213 ms * [209.58.116
7 214 ms 214 ms 214 ms [209.58.116
8 219 ms 216 ms 216 ms []
9 214 ms 214 ms 215 ms []

10 226 ms 234 ms 233 ms []

11 252 ms 251 ms 253 ms []
12 250 ms 251 ms 252 ms []

13 252 ms 251 ms 252 ms [
14 252 ms 251 ms 253 ms []
15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
And I guess you are also not able to access it from the ip address, like ? (although logically the traceroute should have worked too in that case)

I'll check all the possible banlists on the server.
That is correct - no access to the actual IP address either.

If it's of any significance, the problem started occurring when I was connected via FTP. I was connected to*** and also***, using the FTP functionality in Explorer (Windows 7 x64) in two different windows, but both using the same credentials (primary username - same as DA). While the session to was maintained, the session to closed a couple of times, and prompted me to re-enter my password - before then doing what it is right now.

I'll also email you the actual IP address affected, just to be sure. Smile

PS: I only censored the 2nd domain because Google is currently treating them as two separate entities (despite them having the exact same content) - and I'm therefore extra search results (and I don't want their system to link the two together) Very Happy lol
Ok, indeed you were completely correct, your ip was on a blocked list used by the firewall. I didn't think this was the case since it doesn't seem to happen often. My apologies about this. Embarassed

Please try again now.
It's working now - yayyyyyyyyyyyy Very Happy

Thank-you so much, you're amazing! And no need to apologise - it wasn't your fault! Smile

Looks like I'll just stick to one FTP session at a time from now on! Smile

And phew... now I can plug my modem back into my router - I still have it wired up for direct access just in case it was my router blocking the traffic.