FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hope..says it all

smit_alumni
My thoughts kept jumbling up whenever I would sit and think about what I should write that one word which did not leave my mind was hope. I am sure that everyone would agree with me when I say that is the only thing we survive for and have survived till now. Not only through the journey of this semester, but life too. Well every one of us come to a new juncture with aspirations, wills and wants, wishes, dreams and hope. The new phases sometimes leave us nostalgic and sometimes intoxicated by the happiness or ofcourse tipsy with sorrow. It is not how you choose it...but how u have had the courage to step out and experience it. We quote Robert Frost whenever we want “the woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep”, yet do we even realize the meaning? Understanding them and following them are different things. I remember my father saying that when I was just a kid of five or six years. Frankly, then I didn’t even understand the essence of it. Coming here at this college, I learnt what it really had to say. What it really had to portray to me and to the world. I sigh to think of that very first day I stepped on the college ground after counseling, funny it seems like yesterday. And today we are finished with our first semester. Reminiscence of the boulevard of life seems very interesting if we carefully look at the complex intricacies. They are knit with the wool of situations that we’re thrown into, the struggle that we are ought to have, and the dependence of future on the present. It makes us learn something new and fresh every single moment it has to offer. We learn from people. We learn from nature. We learn from our surroundings to say the least. And it stays that way till we breathe our last. It is like a reiterative process, which goes on and on. Remember chemistry’s processes, cycles? Something like that. This college has not done much but a lot in moulding our outlooks and our views and how we all look at things. Things that matter, things that are important, things that do not matter. All is just there in one platter we are left by the almighty to identify them. And hope is just there, there to stand by us always. It isn’t all philosophy that I’m trying to convey here, it is simple truth, but very few can decipher that. I learnt a lot from the teachers who worked rigorously for our performance but never asked anything in return. The gift for them would be our performance, for our betterment. I remember watching a movie which inspired me a lot. The protagonist said “For the journey of life one needs believe in what you are doing, believe in your aim, and above all believe in yourself”. It did niche a place in my heart. My father’s story which I can still feel the warmth of, really came true. No offence to the movie but I would like to add the word “hope” in that very line I quoted. Hope is the key ingredient that makes all the recipes of life bearable. One thing now I know and hope that is never going to change is the constant love of friends. Never. Real friends who walk by our side through the good and the bad, and they remind you of that magical word hope. And back there the people who mean to you. For me they are the almighty, Lord, Bhagwan, Allah. Those two who carried this sacred relationship for time immemorial, they really have a part of god that we have faith in, because faith is God, he who shows the rays of “hope”. Parents. It is amazing how we eventually realize these things. How we realize that there are two sides of a coin in everything. And we need to habituate ourselves with that. As I told before “hope” never fades…it just grows with time……
Nameless
Paragraph breaks, dear God man, paragraph breaks.

Also, I disagree. People don't survive for hope; they might survive in part because of hope, but what they're hoping for isn't more hope but something a little less abstract like a loving partner or a shiny new video game system. Hope is (more or less) just an optimistic form of WANT. You could argue the case that wanting things is what drives us or optimism is what keeps us happy, but those are almost self defining. It feels like with 'hope' your trying to over-emphasis a specific instance of a general trend.

Hope doesn't really grow with time, either. An individual might become more or less hopeful depending on their circumstances or changing philosophy or whatnot, but in general you'd expect - if anything - hope to fall over time. Either a person gains what they're hoping for (in which case hope is replaced by eg. satisfaction) or they don't, which reduces hope as their desires become demonstrability less likely to be satisfied. To continue with equal or growing levels of hope while your wants remained equally unlikely or inaccessible borders on self-delusion!

I'd consider your arguments between the 2nd and last sentences, but my brain is still shutting down trying to read them.
deanhills
Another really well written posting. You really have the gift of the gab Nameless. It had me in stiches, and is, given the effort it must have taken to read through the paragraphless posting, more than a worthy response.

Nameless wrote:
Also, I disagree. People don't survive for hope; they might survive in part because of hope, but what they're hoping for isn't more hope but something a little less abstract like a loving partner or a shiny new video game system. Hope is (more or less) just an optimistic form of WANT. You could argue the case that wanting things is what drives us or optimism is what keeps us happy, but those are almost self defining. It feels like with 'hope' your trying to over-emphasis a specific instance of a general trend.
This could be a good topic for a philosophical discussion. The difference between hope and want. For me hope is more in the abstract. Want is more concrete. Hope is the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. Want is a wish for something specific to happen. One could perhaps say that hope is a propellor for want?

Nameless wrote:
Hope doesn't really grow with time, either. An individual might become more or less hopeful depending on their circumstances or changing philosophy or whatnot, but in general you'd expect - if anything - hope to fall over time. Either a person gains what they're hoping for (in which case hope is replaced by eg. satisfaction) or they don't, which reduces hope as their desires become demonstrability less likely to be satisfied. To continue with equal or growing levels of hope while your wants remained equally unlikely or inaccessible borders on self-delusion!
Agreed. There is also a pattern over a life time, and most people go through ups and downs in terms of hope during their life time. If it would only be in a straight line upwards, with no wavy patterns in the graph line, one would not be able to know what hope is. In some ways hope is sometimes defined by its offsetting opposites, hopeless or despair.
Vrythramax
Nameless wrote:
Paragraph breaks, dear God man, paragraph breaks.

AMEN!!

Quote:
I'd consider your arguments between the 2nd and last sentences, but my brain is still shutting down trying to read them.

*snicker*

In all seriousness, I fully realize that english is not everyone's primary language, but people should (at the very least) follow the Rules for Proper Posting as outlined in Bondings own words in his Enhanced Posting/Spelling Rules post.
Bluedoll
I went out to do. It was what I wanted more than anything. To do. Not to sit and wonder in flight of fancy or desire for but to do. It was my journey to do and part of that journey was the way back home and as I stepped off the city bus and looked around at the bare ground, the open field and the treeless street only I was there with the cold wind hustling over that land picking up the moisture from the loose snow and I whispered to myself “I hope the other bus comes soon.”

Walking around and stomping like an angry person just to keep my little feet and toes from freezing. I looked over at the bus schedule and looked for a little hope. I knew what a bus pass meant but at 20 below it meant nothing but saying “goodbye bus”. Bus pass, it was your transfer and your ticket to see your connection go steaming off in the other direction as you got off the other one.

I knew that the cursed winds like to take the cold and double the temperature to forty below at its will. Shielding my skin from frosty bite and protecting my mortal extremities I moved around waiting for that next bus on the chain that wouldn’t ever be completed. Waiting, waiting while cold shivers ran up and down my spine and I felt like cursing all the philosophies in the world, all the deep thoughts, all the hope. I stopped wishing that the next object that ran down that road be a bus? It didn’t come in time and I froze but not to death.

Like a moving frozen ice stick, I got on that stupid bus, I understood that fast transportation was just another way of saying you will probably get left behind and all I wanted then was warmth off the heater in it. I began thinking, I hope that never happens to me again.

I guess I am saying that you can think hope, talk about hope, understand hope but when things get really bad, I mean really really bad, hope you do not loose hope but you can not know that until then.
goutha
Maybe that i'm too lazy, but the original post is too long for me to read it...
Bluedoll
goutha wrote:
Maybe that i'm too lazy, but the original post is too long for me to read it...

. . . then don't read it - read this instead...
goutha wrote:
Maybe that i'm too lazy,
Laughing
standready
smit_alumni wrote:
sometimes intoxicated

Could help! I survive because of HOPE. I hope one day this messed up world will find a workable solution.

@Bluedoll - LOL
zacky
@ bluedoll.. LOL..

i'm too lazy too to read that bunch of words.. lol..
deanhills
@Bluedoll. Now this was really a good posting. Brought back memories of Calgary in winter. When the temperature goes below zero, the more you move in order to get warm, the colder you get. I especially remember the edges of my nostrils freezing. Even with warm socks and warm boots, the longer one stays outside in cold like that, the more aware one becomes of your toes slowly freezing from the outside in. And if the wind was blowing on top of everything else, that really has to give a total different meaning to the word "hope", probably something along the lines of "wishing with a passion". Smile
iman
Hope...it's easy to lose after learning Godel's incompleteness theorem. But soon after reading that, you realize that there really is hope.
Zsupermassive
Hope can be really tiring.. If nothing good is ever really happening.