FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 64 bit in Dell Studio 1555

nivinjoy
Hi friends i had bought a Dell studio 1555 laptop and recently i had faced some problems with the system and when i took the laptop to their service center they just formatted the entire thing and installed a windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS from some other customer's installation DVD.. But i had a 32 bit vista OS..and also an upgrade option to Windows 7 Home Premium.

Now the problem i am facing is that i can't get many programs into installation..as it says it is a 32 bit installation package..and not fro the current OS package..!!

But the Dell people says that they have not developed the drivers for 32 bit Os still and so it is not advisable to go for that..!!

So I have listed some doubts related to this issue..!!

1. Is it advisable to have a 64 bit OS for a Home user like me..??

2. Will all sorts of programs (particularly antivirus) that we commonly use be installed in a 64 bit OS..??

3. Which is better in terms of speed,performance aspects..??

4. I am a Mechanical Engineer and i need to install ProE,Solidworks 2010,AutoCAD 2009,
Ansys 10.0,CATIA V6.. So will i be able to install all these softwares in my 64 bit OS system..??

5. And finally the main thing...

The Dell service person installed the OS from another customer's DVD.. So will there be any problem in using it still..?? like will there be any clash of product key or something..??

Please guys do reply to my queries.. I am in a great dilemma.
joostvane
Ehm... I don't know too much about windows and stuff, but 64 bit is basicly a different type of OS so your system can have more than 4GB of RAM. If you have 6GB of RAM, but only a 32 bit OS, your system will only be able to access 3.5GB of it.

I have 64 bit Windows vista and I had no problems with it. You have programs that have 64 bit support, and that will run faster, but in what I encountered I can still install 32 bit programs aswell.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I could be wrong.
Diablosblizz
A 64bit edition of Windows is basically like 32bit except you can handle more than 3ish GB of ram.

1. There's no difference between the two, except 64bit is not affected by rootkits.
2. Yes, there should be a 64bit version of the antivirus though, so look for that.
3. It depends on how much ram you have. How much do you have?
4. They all should work, again look for x64 versions.
5. The DVD doesn't matter, as long as he used a serial authorized by Dell it should be fine. If not, take it back and complain.
nivinjoy
Diablosblizz wrote:
A 64bit edition of Windows is basically like 32bit except you can handle more than 3ish GB of ram.

1. There's no difference between the two, except 64bit is not affected by rootkits.
2. Yes, there should be a 64bit version of the antivirus though, so look for that.
3. It depends on how much ram you have. How much do you have?
4. They all should work, again look for x64 versions.
5. The DVD doesn't matter, as long as he used a serial authorized by Dell it should be fine. If not, take it back and complain.

I am having a 4 GB RAM..!! and 500 GB Hard disk,Intel T6600 processor..

And yesterday when i complained about the DVD issue what they say is that as it was installed from an OEM DVD, there is nothing to worry..Is it true..??
Diablosblizz
Great, if you have 4GB of ram your system can run faster! This is kinda hard to explain, but OEM's are for companies that don't want to spend millions on disks. If they buy a OEM, they only buy one and can use it a unlimited amount times. The CDKey, however, is a legit version and you shouldn't be worried about it if it came directly from Dell.

At least that's what I think it is, if not give a read by clicking here.
nivinjoy
Diablosblizz wrote:
Great, if you have 4GB of ram your system can run faster! This is kinda hard to explain, but OEM's are for companies that don't want to spend millions on disks. If they buy a OEM, they only buy one and can use it a unlimited amount times. The CDKey, however, is a legit version and you shouldn't be worried about it if it came directly from Dell.

At least that's what I think it is, if not give a read by clicking here.

Thanks for the reply..

But still i can't get many 32 bit programs into working on my system..?? Is there any other means to convert or forcefully install a 32 bit program on a 64 bit operating system..??
Diablosblizz
It should automatically install. Check the products manufacturing website and see if there are any 64bit editions of the program that you can use.