FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RAM used as VRAM - How can I disable shared memory?

Flakky
Hi,

I have been searching for the answer on how to disable shared memory. I read on different websites that more people have this problem but every answer was simmilar to "don't bother, it is no problem".

I agree it is not a problem but there are always exceptions Wink

I think my vram is partially broke but when testing my vram it tests 2797.00 mb of ram whilst my video card only has 1gb of ram. Normally I don't mind this but as I only want to test out my vram I need to disable it.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance!
Diablosblizz
I'm not quite sure why you want to test your card without the additional RAM, it's not going to boost or reduce performance, it's just ram. If the card only needs 512 (per say) it's only going to use 512. The added Windows memory doesn't effect it until it needs it. So for example, if you're using over the 1GB it will take it out of the system pagefile. From my understanding, it doesn't actually take anything from your RAM. If you're familiar with the pagefile (more popular in Windows XP) then I believe this is how the extra ram works, it shouldn't take from the system ram. However, if the setting is mentioned in the BIOS then it is system memory and I am completely wrong (in that case please let me know).

Anywho, Google isn't much help here to be honest. A lot, and I mean every site I've visited, said that the BIOS has the options to disable this, but I wouldn't see why. This feature wasn't present in Windows XP (as far as I know) and is a Vista / 7 thing. I figure it would be in the operating system itself, but I can't find diddly squat on it. If you absolutely require this to be disabled, give a look in your bios for this.
Flakky
Diablosblizz wrote:
I'm not quite sure why you want to test your card without the additional RAM, it's not going to boost or reduce performance, it's just ram. If the card only needs 512 (per say) it's only going to use 512. The added Windows memory doesn't effect it until it needs it. So for example, if you're using over the 1GB it will take it out of the system pagefile. From my understanding, it doesn't actually take anything from your RAM. If you're familiar with the pagefile (more popular in Windows XP) then I believe this is how the extra ram works, it shouldn't take from the system ram. However, if the setting is mentioned in the BIOS then it is system memory and I am completely wrong (in that case please let me know).

Anywho, Google isn't much help here to be honest. A lot, and I mean every site I've visited, said that the BIOS has the options to disable this, but I wouldn't see why. This feature wasn't present in Windows XP (as far as I know) and is a Vista / 7 thing. I figure it would be in the operating system itself, but I can't find diddly squat on it. If you absolutely require this to be disabled, give a look in your bios for this.
The reason I want to test is because my card keeps in crashing but I want to double check. It is probably error related and it gives me errors but if it scans about 1gb of the 2gb I don't know where the fault is.
Thanks, I will look in the bios today Smile
Diablosblizz
Give the BIOS a try, and if you can't find anything post what your issue is and maybe one of us can help! Smile
AftershockVibe
You could try this:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while but might be helpful.

While it (obviously) do quick what you were asking for and disable shared memory, it does purport to test VRAM. If any errors show up, it might be possible to work out which memory (if any) is the problem.
Flakky
I tested it out. I could not change the bios setting so I booted from Bart-PE when I changed my RAM. Instead of 4gb of ram I changed it with a single 128mb ram. I ran the program and it reported no errors, 1GB was tested in total, which is the total VRAM.

@AftershockVibe, it is simmilar to the program I was already using. Still thank you Smile