FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[OFFICIAL] Favourite/Best Blog software

milleja46
I was just curious what people use for blogs. i have found one called thingamablog, but was wondering what else there is that you think is really good. Thingamablog can be found here http://www.thingamablog.com/
adri
I use(d) Wordpress and Textpattern.

Adri
riccopt
WP is the only thing I have been using lately...
milleja46
Huh, never heard of text pattern
dude_xyx
Never heard of Thingamablog or Textpattern. I use Wordpess for all my self hosted blog. It updates fast and there is a big development team. Also all important plugins.
microkosm
Thingamablog is different from Textpattern and Wordpress. The latter two are server-side software that require SQL and some form of database.

IIRC thingamablog creates static webpages and so doesn't need databses or SQL. On the other hand, you don't have the flexibility to create dynamic content.

I was actually researching content management software (like wordpress) last year. My results can be found here, if anyone's interested: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-108390.html

I finally decided on wordpress b/c it's ubiquitous and tutorials are everywhere if you have any problems.
thedinh
I have used wordpress ang Joomla
word can be useful for personal website, it inclides so many plugins for us to build a beautifull blog.
Joomla is usefull for a news portal.
i thinks it two best free code for blogger
Radar
Wordpress.

Common answer, but there's a reason for that. I really enjoyed it after switching from Blogger.
milleja46
Hmmm, some of your replies are very intresting.....
thedinh
yaaaa, Wordpress is number one,

i thinks http://www.thingamablog.com/ is also google,
but i like to have my own host and blog with my domain

don't you thinks so? Wink Wink Wink
milleja46
Well once this wk is over i may end thingamablog as it is more headache than it's worth since no matter what i try i can't get comments working.....i really wanna try something easy but not alot of people use it(so no wordpress or joomla), just for the simple fact i wanna help make a very small blog app grow. Oh, and it's gotta be able to work on linux, as i just decided to work on linux for a long time now that i have it downloaded.
Fire Boar
milleja46 wrote:
Well once this wk is over i may end thingamablog as it is more headache than it's worth since no matter what i try i can't get comments working.....i really wanna try something easy but not alot of people use it(so no wordpress or joomla), just for the simple fact i wanna help make a very small blog app grow. Oh, and it's gotta be able to work on linux, as i just decided to work on linux for a long time now that i have it downloaded.

Don't worry about platform: 99.9% of PHP software works on Linux (often called a LAMP stack: Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP), because PHP is cross-platform and almost all web hosts will use Linux servers because they are much more stable than Windows servers. So while desktop applications don't have much to lose by not supporting Linux, internet applications have everything to lose by not supporting Linux and very little to lose by not supporting Windows.
milleja46
I was talking about it working on linux because i have moved to linux. I use my windows, but rarely in these past few days.
guissmo
I generally like Wordpress since it has a lot of plugins. Very Happy
taytay
I use Blogger. For a while they had an FTP protocal, so your blog was saved on their server, and uploaded to your website per your settings. But for whatever reason they don't feel like maintaining that anymore Sad I liked that I didn't have to worry about updating my blog software and stuff. But i found a solution! Now I use a frame on my home page which shows my blogger site in it. I have it set up so you can't really tell it's a different site either... The blogger User tool bar is in a seperate frame on my page also, so as you scroll down it stays there(easier acess for me really). and I adjusted the blog template to fit just right to how I liked it. I even made hyper-linking work! If you use a link in the blog (Example: http://blogger.com/myblog/thisonePost.html), and you go to it directly, I put javascript in the template to redirect to my site, (as http://mysite.frih.net/index.php?http://blogger.com/myblog/thisonePost.html) so my site can add it to the frame. Fixing my offsite blog problem!!!

and for security, i have a php script that takes ?http://blogger.com/myblog/thisonePost.html and removes "http://blogger.com/myblog/", THis way people can't use my site to redirect the frame to Other places... It will now ONLY point to my blog. So now the script takes "thisonePost.html" puts it to a variable, and in PHP script: print "http://blogger.com/myblog/". $variable; to the frame on the blogpage of my site

woohoo! I feel so smart...
imagefree
i like wordpress, but i am currently using blogspot
milleja46
Now that i use wp, i recommend for anyone using it to use also use buddypress as a plugin, to help get users on blog if you want a community on your blog, i love having a easy way to manage who posts comments, but haven't figured out if i'm gonna disable guest posts. I may see if there is a way to move stuff from phpbb to the buddypress bbpress plugin
metalfreek
I used to use bloggers before I signed up with frihost. But now, most of my blog are in wordpress. Blogger is not that friendly when it comes to doing what we want. I am really loving wordpress as its flexible and has a lot of plugins that makes life easier.
milleja46
Ok, if you use wordpress, what plugin's do you use, and what do they do? I have just installed wp several days ago, and am trying to figure out some of the plugin's others use, and see if i should add them too.
Quxx
Wordpress with default plug-ins Smile
thedinh
milleja46 wrote:
Ok, if you use wordpress, what plugin's do you use, and what do they do? I have just installed wp several days ago, and am trying to figure out some of the plugin's others use, and see if i should add them too.

I am using wordpress, too
here the list of the plugin i use for my site
if you interest, plz check my site you could see how they work.
1. Adrotate to manege my banner
2.Akismet to again Spamer
3. Flash Video Player to display my flv file
4. Google XML Sitemaps for google costum search
5. Login With Ajax to login faster
6. TinyMCE Advanced for more features in CMS
7. Transposh Translation Filter for translate from my mother language into another
8. Wordpress Firewall to protect my wordpress
9. WP-PageNavi, a default plugin of my theme
10. Yet Another Related Posts Plugin to show relate post
11. HTR-Checkvirus to redirect a links posted in my blog to other site
12. Auto-hyperlink URLs to get aotomaitcly the links in my post contents
13. Nicer permalinks for Vietnamese to display a nice url for SEO
dude_xyx
Be careful if you use blogspot. Now they tend to delete blogs for various reasons. Your blog can be delete for "Spamming" even if you don't do such a thing. I had a blog about my camera there. I didn't do even SEO or link building. Just wrote about the camera and sometimes added Amazon links from their own Amazon tool. Oneday I got this mail telling blog is deleted and reason was "SPAM".

Lucky I had been taking a backup everyday. So I bought a .net domain about exact keyword and uploaded the backup into a Wordpress blog. It took 5 months to catch up with same amount of traffic the blog used to had but Now I think I should had done this even if it was not deleted. Because Now I don't need to worry about blog getting delete since its on my own domain and hosting.

If you use Blogger.com make sure you get a backup everytime you make a blog.
mtorregiani
As I see it, Wordpress is the best blogging plataform, because it has a great support team, and tons of themes, plug-ins and customizations.
No other blogging plataform have all the advantages of Wordpress in my opinion.
tamilparks
i am having wordpress, blogger from google
deanhills
I like Blogspot from Google. Can't think of anything as effortless and user-friendly to use than Blogspot.

I'm curious, for those who have used both Blogspot and dedicated software? What would the differences be?
ankur209
Well,I'm having my Blog on Blogspot.com from last 3 years and its quite easy to use and update it.
I've used Wordpress and Joomla too....But i prefer Joomla for website designing rather than making a blog.However,Wordpress is excellent.I've seen many of the blogs on wordpress and i was struck by those lovely fantastic themes they provides..!! Cool

So For me
1.Blogspot.com
2.Wordpress
3.Joomla
4.Others
mahirh
i use word press with freestyle (you might not get it online)
and instead of integrating WordPress with a cms , i turn WordPress itself into a cms , its more stable
watersoul
You might laugh (and I won't mind) but my blog platform is here on Frihost, ok it hasn't got all the whistles & bells of sites devoted to the truly committed blogger, but I'm happy with the little "speakers corner" I've got here! Laughing
k_s_baskar
wordpress is my first choice, but i am also using blogspot.
crystal2010
Wordpress Smile
rvec
Ok this topic isn't about a cms, but about blog software. I think blog software is also content-management software, so I locked this topic.

Not everyone seems to agree, so I am going to open this topic again, make it sticky and give it a chance. I'll look what happens, and decide if it'll stay open.
cybersa
My vote for wordpress.
Blastr
The best for me are:

• Wordpress
  • Serendipity
  • Thingamablog
  • Simple PHP Blog
  • Nucleus CMS

Wordpress and Serendipity has much functions, but are a bit too slow for some freehosts (how is it on frihost?).
Thingamablog and Simple PHP Blog are very easy and leightweight. Thingamablog writes without server-side scripting languages! Very Happy But...it hasn't a commenting and a trackback system.
Nucleus CMS is something in the middle: Not so fat like WP and S9Y, but more functions, themes and plugins than Thingamablog and Simple PHP Blog.

Greetz, Blastr
xSteam
I've used many blogs softwares, but wordpress was the best one.
Really easy to setup and manage.
It works even as a CMS, includes a large diversity of languages and has lots of themes/plugins.
semihjonshon
There are many like, Zetaboards, Invision Free, VB, IPB, Phpbb, and more..

Whats your favorite?

I like ZetaBoards they are active there are many designs for it
easy modding and coding and etc. I really enjoy it!

EDIT BY RVEC:
From now on this topic is the official topic to talk about which forum is the best. Which means that all future topics about recommendation a forum will be closed just like it was the case for a cms. If you think you should have your own topic pm me and convince me.
iitzone
Wordpress. is the best
kmontano
I use Wordpress for all of my sites. I find it to be a powerful yet simple solution and the Wordpress developers commitment to creating, maintaining and expanding open source software is something that should be commended.
Chellesei
I really like WordPress. WordPress is the best for me. Very Happy

It has a lot of plug-ins I can integrate with and themes I can choose from. It has everything I need to build my website. It's quite simple and pretty easy to use but really powerful. Wink
thanhcuong1990
Vote for Wordpress. http://wordpress.org/
I'm using Wordpress and Microsoft Live Writer to publish post.
Laughing
RosenCruz
Blogspot seems easier to use and update. But Wordpress is the best solution for me if you wanna enhance your blog with plugins and additional features. Also more SEO friendly imo. Arrow
tW_Studios
Hmm... I seem to really like Drupal, but most of the time I end up using wordpress instead because it's hell of a lot easier to use, and has much more community content than Drupal, but drupal seems to have this big "idea", this "open source hope" or something, so I still pick drupal as my favorite, but Wordpress as the best
deanhills
I'm thinking of starting my own blog Website, looks as though Word Press is the way to go. In my experience however of watching how other people are progressing there always seem to be plenty of growing pains. It's not 100% hazzle free, and if one adds too many bells and whistles, all those bells and whistles could eat up valuable resources, and if those resources are limited free Website space and bandwidth resources with a cap on them it could lead to automatic suspension of the Website. One also has to be careful as to the sources of the templates, as I've seen people running into problems with malware quite unintentionally. Once one has the blog up and running one should be very careful to monitor and moderate the comments closely as well, as that could also get completely out of control with spam, particularly when it is bad spam.
codegeek
I use Wordpress on most of my sites because it's really easy to use and can be customized very nicely.
Vanilla
I'm addicted to blogging and I've used several blog softwares. The ones I can remember: Blogger, Blogspot, Blig (a Brazilian one), Cutenews, Wordpress and tumblr.

I used to love Cutenews but it had a huge spam problem that was driving me insane. So I changed my blog to Wordpress and I'm using it since 2005. I think that the main difference between Wordpress and Blogger/Blogspot is the commitment: although being fairly simple to update your Wordpress blog, you have to do it often (as you have to upgrade your plugins and themes too). With Blogger/Blogspot, you just sit and relax. Everything is ready when you log in, you just need to worry about the content and the appearance of your blog. But if you want to have your own hosted blog with a domain of your own and all the works, go for Wordpress. I also like the idea of having my blog safe with me since I have a plugin that backs up my database and send it to my e-mail weekly, so I'm not going to lose any posts/comments.

As for tumblr, I think it's ideal for producing and publishing content quickly and it's pretty decent when it comes to SEO. To me it's the top choice if you want to have a image-based blog and you can have your own domain in tumblr too.

deanhills wrote:
I'm thinking of starting my own blog Website, looks as though Word Press is the way to go. In my experience however of watching how other people are progressing there always seem to be plenty of growing pains. It's not 100% hazzle free, and if one adds too many bells and whistles, all those bells and whistles could eat up valuable resources, and if those resources are limited free Website space and bandwidth resources with a cap on them it could lead to automatic suspension of the Website. One also has to be careful as to the sources of the templates, as I've seen people running into problems with malware quite unintentionally. Once one has the blog up and running one should be very careful to monitor and moderate the comments closely as well, as that could also get completely out of control with spam, particularly when it is bad spam.

I've been using Wordpress for quite some time and I can say that I never had a problem with disk space/bandwidth (and I consider Wordpress to be a monster with a life of its own). As for the spam problem, Wordpress has a powerful plugin called Akismet, and it already comes with WP. But what is really great about WP is the large community. Just do a quick search and you'll find answers to everything. It can manage a large blog, a small one, a multiple blog, a website... And if you need to change the appearance, you can find themes in reliable websites or you can make your own theme. It is not that hard since I made my own theme a long long time ago. Very Happy
harrer
I use Blogger because of the dynamic themes, unlimited hosting, free domain mapping and security.
DarkWizard
Wordpress is the best-it is easy to use and very versatile.
It can also be used as a CMS.
Nyasro
I am wordpress developer and i think wordpress is the best one
codersfriend
I've seen people creating portfolios in blogger these days Smile
Nyasro
Wordpress Very Happy