FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what free virus software to get.

crazy-_-e
Ah, viruses.

The worst thing is a virus, they come in your computer and just annoy the crap out of you.
So I decided to make a post on what is the most recommended virus extractor and destroyer
(in my eyes).

okay the first is malwarebytes; this software is free for the most part, it has a malware
scan and a file remover.

melware scan;
this is very helpful, because most programs cant catch the melware this program can.
It is very sharp and effective, making it a great tool for destroying unwanted files, unmovable
files, and last but not least melware.

Now for our next software we have AVG, this is a firewall software and is very trust worthy and
sharp. when I say sharp I mean that it is very effective and easy to use.

the avg is also free for the most part, you can upgrade to have more options,
but it costs money.

once this software is installed it then sets up a fire wall, which examines all connections to and from your computer. That way no viruses can get in and if they do they wont be able to send information back and forth.

if you do not have a firewall system it is recommend that you get one, but never listen to your windows firewall(it is evil! lol) this "windows firewall" will tell you what software to get. never listen to it and never pay for anything until you asked a computer guy for his advice.

sometimes what happens is you computer(windows firewall) will recommend a firewall program
but what that program/software does is it makes up viruses and deletes them. that way it appears as though you are getting protection but in actuality it is just making a name on the computer and deleting it.

so there you have hoped I helped you in any way.
ocalhoun
AVG free is my favorite antivirus choice as well- completely free, and it competes well with other anti-virus programs, especially in that it is unobtrusive and uses few system resources.

As for upgrading it 'for more comprehensive protection', don't.
Why do you have to have one piece of software to deal with all threats? If you get separate software for your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall, et cetera, then you can get all of them for free.
Nick2008
I agree with malwarebytes, it's a simple, uncomplicated hit and scan program that finds many hidden nasties on your computer.

I have used AVG about 1 year ago or so, and it seemingly gave me too much false positives, I'm not sure if that problem exists in the current version.

For antivirus I recommend Avira Antivir, which has ranked very well in all detection rates, and also the new avast!5 which finally... no longer looks like an mp3 player. In my opinion for full virus protection, avast!5 is the best choice as it not only has the usual virus scanner, it includes 7 virus shields, file system shield, mail shield, web shield, p2p shield, im shield, network shield, and behavior shield. It has a very nice interface now with the new version.

Avira is another very good one, it's the best free virus scanner that I know of, but it doesn't induce free real-time shields.

I can't really say for the new AVG, but I wasn't too impressed with it the last time I tried.

For the best total antivirus, I'd say avast!5, for the best antivirus scanner, I'd say Avira Antivir.

Quote:

Now for our next software we have AVG, this is a firewall software

I would like to point out that AVG is antivirus software, not a firewall. The free version includes:
1. Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware
2. LinkScanner®

The 'Enhanced Firewall' is available only in AVG Internet Security which costs $43.99 ; though for that money there are better total security choices.
aningbo
i use mac. free from virus... the best one could possibly think of.
Diablosblizz
I agree with everything but AVG. I've found the complete opposite of what ocalhoun thought. AVG was slow, many false positives and overall it's not that good. Avast, Avira, Comodo or MSE would be my choices over AVG, it's just getting too bloated.

Quote:
if you do not have a firewall system it is recommend that you get one, but never listen to your windows firewall(it is evil! lol) this "windows firewall" will tell you what software to get. never listen to it and never pay for anything until you asked a computer guy for his advice.

I don't see the issue with Windows firewall. However, the Windows XP firewall only did inbound connections, not outbound. With Windows Vista and Windows 7 the firewall has been upgraded to do both inbound and outbound. Like you said before, you shouldn't pay for anything, Windows Firewall will do for basic protection. Most people these days have routers which in turn have firewall capabilities enabled by default. If people don't, Comodo makes a super secure Firewall.

Quote:
sometimes what happens is you computer(windows firewall) will recommend a firewall program
but what that program/software does is it makes up viruses and deletes them. that way it appears as though you are getting protection but in actuality it is just making a name on the computer and deleting it.

I don't know the experiences that you've been having, but Windows firewall doesn't recommend fake anti-viruses, or rogues. If you're infected, other software (which will disguise itself as Windows Firewall) WILL do that, trust me I've tested them numerous times.