FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nonexistent files consuming my hard drive

Burgundy85
I have no idea what's going on with my pc.
I bought it a few years back and got a basic, cheap one pretty much to rebuild it myself.
Anyways, I keep all my music, videos, games on my external drive because my internal is only 80gb which maybe has 5gb worth of program files and another 10-20gb for windows itself? But I only have 2.85gb available. So where the ****** is all this drastic clutter coming from?
Like today i noticed how one of my games, Borderlands was installed on my hard drive in the add/remove list. So I uninstalled it to see what it would do. The game completely uninstalled, and for some reason my computer didn't free up the apparent 19.2gb that the game was consuming. WTF is going on. I searched for hours to try and find where this shit was on my comp. Nothing. I ran Vista Manager, nothing. Just about 54mb of junk files were found.
Diablosblizz
First thing, why was Borderlands taking up apparently 20 GB of space? There's something wrong. If you'd like, do a format of your computer and start fresh.
Denvis
Try using the default windows disk cleanup.
Marcuzzo
* check your recycle bin
* use a 3rd party explorer App to check your Drives for hidden directories, like the 7z file manager for instance.
* try defragging the drive

exhaust your options before formatting
ahnguye5
yea, like the previous posts have said:

-try defragmenting the hard drive. i recommend defraggler; it has a nice schematic that shows you the state of your hard drive as opposed to the default windows program, at least in vista on. keep in mind, it does take a long time for it to defragment especially if you haven't done it before or on a regular basis.

-next time, you may want to try revo uninstaller. unlike the default windows uninstaller, revo also deletes alot of the stuff that is left behind by the programs that you've installed (temp files, game files, registry keys, etc.) i've uninstalled a few programs with this and i was pleased to see the stuff that it asked me to delete because i never would have known otherwise.

maybe you can also check your C:/ drive in Program Files to see if there's a folder in there with some leftover files.
aningbo
Quote:
I have no idea what's going on with my pc.
I bought it a few years back and got a basic, cheap one pretty much to rebuild it myself.
Anyways, I keep all my music, videos, games on my external drive because my internal is only 80gb which maybe has 5gb worth of program files and another 10-20gb for windows itself? But I only have 2.85gb available. So where the ****** is all this drastic clutter coming from?
Like today i noticed how one of my games, Borderlands was installed on my hard drive in the add/remove list. So I uninstalled it to see what it would do. The game completely uninstalled, and for some reason my computer didn't free up the apparent 19.2gb that the game was consuming. WTF is going on. I searched for hours to try and find where this shit was on my comp. Nothing. I ran Vista Manager, nothing. Just about 54mb of junk files were found.

try looking in them temp, cache, etc folders for useless files. restart and see if the disk has been freed up or not. most of the time, it uninstalls completely only after restarting.

best solution... instead of wasting hours searching for a solution. format your system and start afresh.
Marcuzzo
why didn't I think of this earliler, Try SpaceMonger
this app tells you exactly how much space is used and where.
infinisa
Hi Burgundy85

Many files on your disk are hidden or system files:
- Use of the Internet can create a huge amount of files in the IE cache.
- Windows update uses large amounts of space for backups
- The recycle bin my contain occupy a large amount of space
- Many applications don't uninstall themselves properly

All these problems, and many more, can be solved by using CCleaner - highly recommended.

Good luck.