FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your thoughts? ATI Radeon HD 4770 or 4850?

Diablosblizz
I've been looking at a new graphics card to replace my 9500 GT which is a horrible card and if anybody is looking to buy it think else where if you're looking to game. I'm getting mixed reviews about nVidia, and apparently lately their cards are really bad. So, I've been looking into the specs of both the ATI Radeon HD 4770 or 4850. The 4850 is more powerful, and consumes more power, whereas the 4770 is a bit weaker and consumes a lot less power. I have a 650 watt power supply and the 9500 currently runs fine in the machine, it's just really powerless.

I've been playing the beta of SC2 and I can barely hold 30 FPS on low settings. I've read reviews and most all of them say it's not a card for gaming. Here are my specs:

2x Intel Xeon @ 2.8GHz (with HT enabled - two processors making it quad in theory)
2GB of DDR2 ram @ 200MHz
nVidia Geforce 9500 GT 1GB
500GB main drive with 1TB external
Windows 7 32bit
If it matters: 1360x768

What are your opinions of the two cards, I'm looking for reviews on either or anything close. Thanks! Also, if you're going to make a suggestion make sure the card is $150 or lower.
william
Out of those two, you really can't go wrong with either one. Stock, the 4850 is about 5% faster and 5% more expensive (rough numbers). Both perform well, and both are well priced. However, a couple of points. The 4770 is the newer of the two and runs on a 40 nm process. So, it will run a fair bit cooler than the 4850 and will have more overclocking potential. It seems you can get an HD4770 for 105 CDN after rebate on Newegg. Plus, it's an XFX as well, so you get double lifetime warranty from one of the better brands. So, in terms of value for money, I would probably pick the 4770. If you wanted to spend a bit more, the 4870 can also be had for under $150.
Diablosblizz
Thanks for the reply, I was also thinking the 4770, but I'd like to know where you see the $105 CDN on Newegg(.ca I presume). I can only find the $119 one.
william
I believe you're looking at the right one. It's $105 after rebate, and from my experience, XFX rebates are reliable.
Diablosblizz
Nope, I was looking at a different one, but thank you! Definitely going for that one as I hear XFX is a trusted company.
william
Yeah no doubt. I've experienced their nVidia cards, and they were rock solid. I was really happy when they started making ATI cards; they're now definitely my first choice on the red camp. Very Happy

Edit: Looks like it's down another $5. Maybe I should consider getting one. Razz
Diablosblizz
Awesome, I got the extra $5, which is pretty nice! They're taking a pretty long time to clear my payment though, I hope it's not because of it being a mastercard gift card.
coreymanshack
Diablosblizz wrote:
I've been looking at a new graphics card to replace my 9500 GT which is a horrible card and if anybody is looking to buy it think else where if you're looking to game. I'm getting mixed reviews about nVidia, and apparently lately their cards are really bad. So, I've been looking into the specs of both the ATI Radeon HD 4770 or 4850. The 4850 is more powerful, and consumes more power, whereas the 4770 is a bit weaker and consumes a lot less power. I have a 650 watt power supply and the 9500 currently runs fine in the machine, it's just really powerless.

I've been playing the beta of SC2 and I can barely hold 30 FPS on low settings. I've read reviews and most all of them say it's not a card for gaming. Here are my specs:

2x Intel Xeon @ 2.8GHz (with HT enabled - two processors making it quad in theory)
2GB of DDR2 ram @ 200MHz
nVidia Geforce 9500 GT 1GB
500GB main drive with 1TB external
Windows 7 32bit
If it matters: 1360x768

What are your opinions of the two cards, I'm looking for reviews on either or anything close. Thanks! Also, if you're going to make a suggestion make sure the card is $150 or lower.

nvidias GPUS are not bad at all, but the 9500 is a bit dated. I've been running a 8600GT from msi for a while now and it has done me well. Back then this was one of the top of the line cards Smile
mOrpheuS
I'm just wondering, why not one of the new HD 5xxx series cards ?
Diablosblizz
I'm not sure mOrpheuS, the card looked amazing for it's price and I jumped on the train thinking all will be good (which I hope it is). I ended up going with the 4770, just because it seemed awesome. I heard that it works perfectly fine on monitors under 22 in, and I only have a 18.

Personally, I don't really know why I didn't go for the higher numbers. The 4770 seemed fine for what I wanted it to do, and that's all I can tell you. Very Happy
william
I'd still say the 4770 a good decision based on price/performance. I mean, with the HD5000 series, you'd be looking at the HD5750 and HD5770, which are both decent cards, but not that much faster than the HD4770. Plus, a good version (HIS, XFX, etc.) costs about 40% more than an XFX HD4770. Besides DirectX 11 (which doesn't matter too much right now), the 4770 isn't missing much.

Oh, and if it's an 18" monitor, I'm assuming it's 1440x900? If so, you should be able to play everything at very high settings. Very Happy
Diablosblizz
18.5in, sorry. The resolution is just a bit smaller than that at 1360x768. I just received the card, and so far it's looking awesome! I'm still in the process of reinstalling all my games and such (after formating cause I don't want driver issues) but I tried the SC2 beta already and it's EPIC!
william
Well at that resolution, you'll have quite a bit of fun. Very Happy I was going to ask if you had any plans to overclock, but at 1360x768, I think you should be able to run almost everything over 60 fps.
Diablosblizz
My computer is fairly old, and very slow speeds. Even though the processor is at 2.8GHz the bus speed on it is only 800MHz, which is slow. The RAM is also pretty slow, only at 200MHz. I've had Dragon Age for the PC for a while and wasn't able to play it before, however now I can play it on very high detail and 8x anti-aliasing with FPS between 20-40.
mOrpheuS
william wrote:
you'd be looking at the HD5750 and HD5770, which are both decent cards, but not that much faster than the HD4770.

I'm not really sure I agree entirely with that statement.

I have a HD5770. Granted it's more expensive than the 4xxx series.
But it would be wrong to say that it's "not that much faster" than a HD4770.
It's similar to a HD4870 in terms of specifications and processing power, and performs simlarly, especially at higher resolutions/settings which I prefer for my games (1920x1080, 4xAA, 8xAF).

Comparative benchmarks - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-5.html

The biggest advantate though, in my opinion, is the power consumption -
HD4870 - 86W idle, 160W full load
HD5770 - 18W idle, 108W full load

That makes a lot of difference to system stability when you have room temperatures of about 40C Wink
coreymanshack
mOrpheuS wrote:
william wrote:
you'd be looking at the HD5750 and HD5770, which are both decent cards, but not that much faster than the HD4770.

I'm not really sure I agree entirely with that statement.

I have a HD5770. Granted it's more expensive than the 4xxx series.
But it would be wrong to say that it's "not that much faster" than a HD4770.
It's similar to a HD4870 in terms of specifications and processing power, and performs simlarly, especially at higher resolutions/settings which I prefer for my games (1920x1080, 4xAA, 8xAF).

Comparative benchmarks - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-5.html

The biggest advantate though, in my opinion, is the power consumption -
HD4870 - 86W idle, 160W full load
HD5770 - 18W idle, 108W full load

That makes a lot of difference to system stability when you have room temperatures of about 40C Wink

The 5770 also has the new eyefinity technology that will allow you to run triple +more monitors with great framerates!
Donutey
So which card did you get? Very Happy
Diablosblizz
I ended up purchasing the Radeon HD 4770. Well worth the money!
weableandbob
My Sapphire 4850 has held up well for over a year with more than 1600 hours of gaming. Definitely worth it.
Donutey
Diablosblizz wrote:
I ended up purchasing the Radeon HD 4770. Well worth the money!

Have fun with it! Mr. Green