FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPad

Tony The Tiger
What kind of computing capabilities will the iPad have? Will you be able to run software like Microsoft Office on it? Will it have hard drive storage capacity?
DeltaM
From what I have heard the Ipad pretty much a bigger Ipod touch, so pretty much the features that comes with the ipod touch + some new that can make use of the big screen I hope otherwise it's comepletly useless. And Microsoft office ??! haha never It's an apple product the'll never let anything microsoft made in their products their rivals u know Twisted Evil
Diablosblizz
Quote:
haha never It's an apple product the'll never let anything microsoft made in their products their rivals u know

I suppose you've never heard of Office for Mac? Microsoft and Apple don't hate each other, they're both just competition. Thus why iTunes is on Windows and Office is on Mac. It's all about what the users want. Oh, and because Apple's document software failed hardcore.

Anyways, no to the original question. It's just a larger iPhone / iTouch. I'm not sure if it can do music, but I wouldn't want it to. The prices obliviously will range, it's a Apple product remember? Go check the Apple website for more information, but that's basically it.
Denvis
I heard there's no flash support for iPad users.
william
If you ask me, if someone is willing to drop that much money on such a device, there are a number of better options. For $99 (a lot less than an iPad), one can buy a Marvell Moby Tablet. It's aimed at students, but it'll do just about everything the iPad can do and then some. And it's a fraction of the price. Then if someone is willing to spend iPad money, the Viliv S10 Blade is a far better alternative. 10.1" 1366x768 display, Atom CPUs up to 2 GHz, up to a 64 GB SSD, HSDPA support, keyboard, webcam, Windows XP or Windows 7, and 2.6 pounds. I just see no reason to buy an iPad, especially with these two devices on the horizon.

Edit: Just to add a couple things on, the iPad has an Apple developed CPU which is about as powerful as say a Snapdragon. So while it's more powerful than an iPod Touch or iPhone, it's capbilities are max out at the best of smartphones. It does have a higher resolution to power than the iPod/iPhone, so I'm going to assume it's performance will be similar to those two, but probably a bit faster. It will go right up to 64 GB of storage, which isn't half bad but I'm one of those who'd like an upgradeable hard drive. I am interested to see how the Office applications turn out, but I don't have my hopes up.
loyal
Tony The Tiger wrote:
What kind of computing capabilities will the iPad have? Will you be able to run software like Microsoft Office on it? Will it have hard drive storage capacity?

I went to have a short play on it in an Apple store I passed by. Basically, the idea behind the Ipad was that it would be better than a laptop and more portable. Except it clearly isn't better than a laptop. Why? It's just a copy of the software (or OS) from the ipod touch and the iphone, with some extra apps/programs that replicate some laptop programs (such as a simple video editing program), and minus the phone part; (Not sure if it has the music software from the ipod touch). Hence it clearly isn't as powerful as a laptop, and hence sucks.
Don't waste your money. Buy a cheap notebook or something.

Peace.
Tony The Tiger
loyal wrote:
Basically, the idea behind the Ipad was that it would be better than a laptop and more portable. Except it clearly isn't better than a laptop. Why? It's just a copy of the software (or OS) from the ipod touch and the iphone, with some extra apps/programs that replicate some laptop programs (such as a simple video editing program), and minus the phone part; (Not sure if it has the music software from the ipod touch). Hence it clearly isn't as powerful as a laptop, and hence sucks.

Is it going to be limited to its current capabilities. It could still have potential to be transformational. It seems that if nothing else it could help popularize tablet style notebook computers. I also think it will in time be equipped with much more significant and powerful operating system and software. I am curious about its portability and durability. Unlike a laptop it is open faced with no cover for the screen really. Thus, it seems to me that it is prone to serious damage in casual transport. I am sure future generations of something this popular will be improved with continuing demand, feedback and competition.
menino
I believe the iPad has phone functionality as well, using microsim, which may not be available in ALL countries.

Still, yes, the iPAd is a bigger iphone, but the iphone has a lot of capabilities as well, although mostly, I've seen people playing games on it.

Also, one problem I've heard about the iPad, is that you need a stylus to write notes on it. You can't use your finger to write notes, which defeats one purpose of a tablet, in my opinion.
r4inm4ker
menino wrote:

Also, one problem I've heard about the ipad, is that you need a stylus to write notes on it. You can't use your finger to write notes, which defeats one purpose of a tablet, in my opinion.

On the contrary, it only operates with hand gestures, an ordinary stylus won't work. only stylus designed for capacitive touch screen will work.
From my hand-on experience with my friend's ipad, it works pretty well, and snappy, as usual with Apple product (they always carefully designed their OS and software so that it doesn't (look) lag when doing tasks on their product). Though i never owned any apple stuff, and don't have a plan to buy one, i must give them thumb up for their effort to achieve this. It also has pretty long battery life.
Aside from the tasks "allowed" in the ipad, it's quite limited though in what it can handle. No, no windows software will run on it, the storage is only limited to 16,32,or 64 GB. And from what i remember, it couldn't handle HD video. It also doesn't have built-in USB port, which is a shame really (though i heard it could be easily extended).
I'm planning to buy a tablet, but ipad didn't interest me too much because of this "limitation". I think i'll just wait for windows/android slate and see what they can offer.
Tony The Tiger
menino wrote:
I believe the iPad has phone functionality as well, using microsim, which may not be available in ALL countries.

Can the iPad use Skype to produce phone functionality.

menino wrote:
Also, one problem I've heard about the iPad, is that you need a stylus to write notes on it. You can't use your finger to write notes, which defeats one purpose of a tablet, in my opinion.

I imagine that future generations of iPad will be finger sensitive.
digitalhaze
Denvis wrote:

There's never been Flash for iPod/iPad users...it's sad. However, there is an app on the App Store called CloudBrowse, which is a beta app with a built-in Flash browser. Not a bad product, considering it's FREE.
Tony The Tiger
digitalhaze wrote:
Denvis wrote:

There's never been Flash for iPod/iPad users...it's sad. However, there is an app on the App Store called CloudBrowse, which is a beta app with a built-in Flash browser. Not a bad product, considering it's FREE.

I am not sure what you mean by flash browser. I am vaguely familiar with a term called flash memory and am not sure what types of memory the ipad/ipod devices have, but I am not really sure what you mean by flash browser. Would you care to elaborate a bit for the uninformed like me.
william
It's simply a web browser that has Adobe Flash capabilities (since the iPhone doesn't support Flash out of the box). So it allows you to, in theory, view flash videos and animations and even play flash games (but with limitations).

In essence, because the iPhone itself is incapable of running flash content, CloudBrowse (hopefully I'm not mixing this up) uses a remote computer to browse the sites. You use the iPhone to control the remote computer and then it steams everything to your phone. Of course, with bandwidth limitations, delays, and connection caps, it isn't a perfect flash solution, but nevertheless it has some use.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
It's simply a web browser that has Adobe Flash capabilities (since the iPhone doesn't support Flash out of the box). So it allows you to, in theory, view flash videos and animations and even play flash games (but with limitations).

In essence, because the iPhone itself is incapable of running flash content, CloudBrowse (hopefully I'm not mixing this up) uses a remote computer to browse the sites. You use the iPhone to control the remote computer and then it steams everything to your phone. Of course, with bandwidth limitations, delays, and connection caps, it isn't a perfect flash solution, but nevertheless it has some use.

I had never heard of the term flash used in a context other than memory before. Thus I was confused. My inference based on your post is that Adobe Flash is a type of software that seems to be a platform for other types of software.
dwxco
The Marvell Moby looks pretty cool, but isn't shipping yet.

From their website: http://www.mobylize.org/#

Sounds great. When is it available?

Marvell has not issued a specific release to market date however, our plans are to make it available in the Fall timeframe this year.
ahnguye5
This is the first time I've heard of the Marvell Mobly, it looks pretty good. I'm also anxious to see all the other tablets that are going to be sporting the other OSes. We've got Android, WebOS, RIM, etc. The WebOS has a really nice touch interface from my experience with it on a Pixi. HP and Palm make a good combo and their tablet seems most promising.
Tony The Tiger
dwxco wrote:
The Marvell Moby looks pretty cool, but isn't shipping yet.

From their website: http://www.mobylize.org/#

Sounds great. When is it available?

Marvell has not issued a specific release to market date however, our plans are to make it available in the Fall timeframe this year.

I am not familiar with Marvell the company unless they are the same corporate entity that is well-known for Comic Books and such. I just don't think it is possible that a comic book company is going to be the industry leader in e-readers. I also think that they spell their name with one "L". This must be a different company.