FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To be successful tell a lie?

Bluedoll
As the title of this post suggests this is a question. I would really like an answer too. Often, I see this quality of hide, illusive reasoning in people and I can understand why it happens for several reasons. What I am wondering if I took an opposite approach of complete honesty and disclosure, if there could be advantage in doing that?

Is there is a number one rule in marketing? If you are in business, say the business is successful, doing well now, really better than anything else even if it is not! People actually lie if they have to, to protect their interests.

I see this a lot online as well. People promote what they do. Thier stuff is always making them lots of money, a real great thing and doing so well for them just to give everyone the impression that it is a hot item when actually it is not.

Is this the only way to go?
deanhills
I get the point. Like at work, when someone asks you how you are, you generally say "great", when you feel anything but, to those who you don't want to know. And if it is your business, ditto, to keep the image strong and vibrant. There are so many marketing courses in what words to use, all of which probably are lies, but the nice part is sometimes those lies turn into the truth as perception seems to be almost 99% of what people relate to and when they relate positively, this has the power of re-inforcing those statements until one starts to believe in those words too and they become really true.
Bluedoll
Thanks for that great outlook Deanhills, might use it. Very Happy

Guess, I am kind of asking which wins out in the marketing world? Honesty and integrity or extremely positive outlooks with little twists of truth.

I agree, perception is everything. Perceive things we want to come true and we can actually bring things to be with our vision and positive attitudes. I suppose if you say something enough times it will become reality and then there are those areas where we can see choose to see either a half empty or half full glass. Yes, I do think we can shape our futures however is there a fine line or a very distinctive one between telling the truth or telling a lie in order to be successful.

Ok, consider this. There are two exact promotions where people can invest their time and energies into a business. One of the promotions is led by a person who spins lies that they have just won a lotto and filthy rich. This flaunting person tells obviously big fictional tales. Would a lot of people still choose to get involved hoping to be successful in the new founded business thinking they might have found a winner because they choose to believe what they want to believe?

Would an alternative promotion be less or more successful if led by an honest straight- forward person who was penniless but with much energetic determination but telling only plain truths, like being handicapped financially and not drawing such a pretty picture?
andiec
wow i can't lie, i don't want to. always keeping a strong energy tho seems important.. i hate how people test you on this.
Bluedoll
andiec wrote:
wow i can't lie, i don't want to. always keeping a strong energy tho seems important.. i hate how people test you on this.
What do you mean by test you on this?
Insanity
Honesty simply doesn't bring in enough sales. You might be able to have a really great product, but you'll only just match up to other firms who are lying their butts off. So in order to really make it out there, you'll have to tell some sort of lie sooner or later. It sucks but that's just how the system works at the moment. People are not drawn in by honesty, no matter what they tell themselves.
AftershockVibe
Insanity wrote:
Honesty simply doesn't bring in enough sales. You might be able to have a really great product, but you'll only just match up to other firms who are lying their butts off. So in order to really make it out there, you'll have to tell some sort of lie sooner or later. It sucks but that's just how the system works at the moment. People are not drawn in by honesty, no matter what they tell themselves.

I can't agree with this. Lying only works in the short term, and even then only as long as you can keep the lie going. When you are found out, your brand is tarnished forever. You company won't even be considered by that customer again or anyone they tell about it.

Lies also breed more lies. If you are working for a company which is openly dishonest, then you can expect most of your staff to be dishonest too (since the honest ones will be uncomfortable and leave). Now you have a bigger problem than few sales - you can't trust your coworkers/employees.

The same thing is true if you lie on your CV to get a job (i.e. Be "successful" in a job interview). If you are caught at the interview stage, then you are immediately out of the running and probably get a grilling about it. Even if the lie is overlooked, as soon as your boss discovers that you really aren't as qualified as you said, you're immediately on his hate list. First to get fired, first to get the bad jobs, last to get promoted, last to get money spent on you - because your boss already considers you a money pit.
Bluedoll
Wow, both of you AftershockVibe and Insanity are really great thinkers. Looking differently but both of you are really good in your assessments.
I do want to believe and follow the path Aftershockvibe is displaying because I know that for me this way is simply the basis of good business ethics and self worth.
Yet at the same time looking at the ‘real world’ have to say I’ve seen so much of what Insanity is saying too. There are so many governmental, organizations and companies and within them, the people who are bluntly going along with the system because it is really do it or suffer.

In my own tiny meager things, I sometimes wonder too. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Starrfoxx
Flat out lying is probably not a good idea. Eventually the truth comes out. I do know that a lot of people and businesses in this world do "white lies" which is either the truth exaggerated, twisted, or perhaps not fully expressed.

Nowadays, it seems as if being completely honest only gives others the chance to stomp on you and take advantage of you. It's sad really. You don't know who to trust anymore.
Greatking
i believe telling the truth and doing the right thing does bring success. it may take a while to make some money but in the long run you do. its like the goodwill of a business. when a businsess is sold to you and the reputation is a good one it helps boost up the price. standing for the truth may be diffuclt but it does pay! lets keep it up it helps.
deanhills
Greatking wrote:
i believe telling the truth and doing the right thing does bring success. it may take a while to make some money but in the long run you do. its like the goodwill of a business. when a businsess is sold to you and the reputation is a good one it helps boost up the price. standing for the truth may be diffuclt but it does pay! lets keep it up it helps.
Do people ever really know the truth though? I admire people who think they are sticking with the truth, as that makes for someone who is obviously ethical in his dealings. He also is a person who has faith in "truth". Faith is always attractive to others, as they like believers, especially believers who believe in the "truth" with great passion, whether everyone agrees with that "truth" or not. If that can make any sense at all! Smile
samwalker
Why lie? I mean, would you rather live and stay trapped inside a room of deception than live in a world of truth and freedom? Just imagine how much you hated to be lied at, and then you'll realize how much the truth matters. No matter what lies can get you, there's nothing better than being honest and accepted by the truths you hold yourself accountable for. For it's much better to be liked despite of the truths that can make them reject you, than being liked and accepted by the lies that will soon come to get you! call centers philippines
jmlworld
Well, some words used in businesses are not lies. It's not a lie when you say your service is above your competitors', that's an exaggeration.

When somebody asks how much you earned in your business and you simply reply $2m (keeping the image of your business) while you really earned $100k, that's a lie. But a forgivable one.

When you are an employee for a company with a low salary or you get sucked by your old employer and you go to interview for another job and the interviewer asks "why are you searching for another job when you are already employed?" or "hey, why did you leave your old job?" would you reply "I don't earn more at my current employers" or "I was fired because of poor performance"? Or would you simply say "I want to take my career to another level and search for more challenging job" or "I left there for my own accord in search for more challenging career"? In this condition, this is self marketing.