FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CD/MP3 Vs. DVD

Afaceinthematrix
Which do you prefer: buying a CD/MP3 or buying a DVD of a band? I personally prefer to buy a DVD of the band (some of my favorites are Reign in Blood: Still Reigning by Slayer and End of an Era by Nightwish) because I think it's always better to see how a band performs live. That's where the real talent is. Almost anyone can sound good in a studio with enough editing and takes but only a true musician can play well live and have a good stage performance. Of course the downside is that I can only listen to it when I'm at home in front of my television... I can't listen to it in the car or anywhere else. That's where the CD would be better... Of course sometimes you get the best of both worlds. When you buy Twilight of the Thundergod by Amon Amarth, it comes with a CD and a DVD of some of their live songs (and it's even better in that the live songs are songs not on the Twilight of the Thundergod album so you actually get twice the amount of songs).

Which do you prefer: CD or DVD?
catscratches
I don't care for talent or for live playings. If it sounds good then it sounds good. I don't care of whether they can replicate it on-stage or not. I can assure you not everyone can sound good in the studio, otherwise all the well-known mainstream bands who have professional, expensive studio equipment would actually do something good in a while.

As you've already figured out I prefer CDs/MP3s over DVDs, all the time. I want to listen to music, not watch it. I think pretty much all bands look exactly the same live.
Ankhanu
I prefer buying the CD and ripping it to MP3 Razz DVDs are fine and good, but I find I watch them once or twice, then they sit. CDs and MP3s, well... I love music, and I don't want my TV to be on to listen to it; these are portable media and all about sound. CDs and MP3s let you enjoy the music without the distraction of visual stimulus too! You can pay more attention to what you hear.

Get this, you can even get audio recordings of live performances without having it tethered to video content!! Awesome!
Afaceinthematrix
catscratches wrote:
I think pretty much all bands look exactly the same live.

Uhhh.... I can assure that that's not the case... I see your point in the rest of your post, but I simply don't think this is correct... I go to a ton of shows (concert going is my main hobby). I saw 20someodd bands in the last half of 2009... I can assure you that not bands look exactly the same live... Behemoth, Marilyn Manson, Slayer, and Ensiferum all had extremely unique stage performances and all looked quite different... Any black metal band will have a great show besides the music... Some bands just stand there and play... That's boring. But some bands put out enormous amounts of energy and other bands have many visual effects.

Quote:
Get this, you can even get audio recordings of live performances without having it tethered to video content!! Awesome!

Sometimes I do that. Sometimes I buy live CDs of bands. You still get to hear the talent and raw sound of it being live. However, you do miss out on some of the energy of seeing a band tear it up live. Also, another thing I live about the DVD (and going to shows) is if a band has multiple guitarists, I like to actually see who's playing which solo. Usually, once I really get into a band I can start differentiating the solos (for instance, I can usually tell the difference between a Kerry King and a Jeff Hanneman Slayer solo, but I'm not right 100% of the time).
catscratches
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
catscratches wrote:
I think pretty much all bands look exactly the same live.

Uhhh.... I can assure that that's not the case... I see your point in the rest of your post, but I simply don't think this is correct... I go to a ton of shows (concert going is my main hobby). I saw 20someodd bands in the last half of 2009... I can assure you that not bands look exactly the same live... Behemoth, Marilyn Manson, Slayer, and Ensiferum all had extremely unique stage performances and all looked quite different... Any black metal band will have a great show besides the music... Some bands just stand there and play... That's boring. But some bands put out enormous amounts of energy and other bands have many visual effects.
To a person who cares about live shows, there's great variety and all bands are different. To a person who doesn't give a shit, the difference isn't that obvious.

There are of course exceptions and some artist doing really creative and innovative live shows.
Magicman
I definitely agree that the energy in live shows is so much more powerful than what you can get from a studio recording but most of the time, I prefer studio recordings. DVDs of live shows don't interest me so much because I like listening to my music and not having to watch it as well.
liljp617
I can't pick.

I have both live and studio versions of many songs on my iTunes. Some of the live audios sound much better and more interesting than the CD audios (Black Sabbath stands out here for me). I rip MP3s off Youtube occasionally just to get the live versions.

But I love DVDs and I agree that no amount of audio matches the visual output of something like Maiden playing in front of 200,000 screaming, jumping fans singing along with Bruce. It's just a more surreal performance in that scenario. I also like the "behind the band" type DVDs...it's always fun to see the members off stage (Metallica's and Pantera's behind the scenes type DVDs stand out here for me).
Afaceinthematrix
liljp617 wrote:
But I love DVDs and I agree that no amount of audio matches the visual output of something like Maiden playing in front of 200,000 screaming, jumping fans singing along with Bruce. It's just a more surreal performance in that scenario. I also like the "behind the band" type DVDs...

If you want to something extremely surreal, watch 1991 Monsters of Rock. AC/DC, Pantera, and Metallica put on a free show in front of an estimated 1.5 million Russian (the show was in Moscow) fans. There are endless seas of people. What made it even more exciting was that the Soviet Union had just fallen and right after that, two of the biggest Metal bands (Pantera/Metallica) came and gave a free metal (which is an ultimate sign of rebellion) show... Guards were trying to restrain people but they couldn't manage... It really showed middle fingers towards government/authority. It was a really symbolic way to represent the fall of the Soviet Union...

Quote:
it's always fun to see the members off stage (Metallica's and Pantera's behind the scenes type DVDs stand out here for me).

Have you seen the Metallica movie "Cliff 'Em All?" That one is especially fun to watch if you're into seeing the band offstage... The musical performances are good (one notable performance is For Whom the Bell Tolls in Oakland, California/Day On the Green in 1985) but the offstage scenes are funny. They're mostly of the band getting drunk. One funny scene shows James Hetfield screaming, "We have an emergency! F*** the earthquakes! This is an emergency! We're all out of beer." You've probably seen that one, but if you haven't, watch it. I haven't watched any other Metallica DVD's because I'm not a Metallica fan (except for the first three albums). Well actually, that's not completely true. I did watch the Seattle 1989 concert from Live Sh*t: Binge and Purge and some of Monsters of Rock.
liljp617
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
But I love DVDs and I agree that no amount of audio matches the visual output of something like Maiden playing in front of 200,000 screaming, jumping fans singing along with Bruce. It's just a more surreal performance in that scenario. I also like the "behind the band" type DVDs...

If you want to something extremely surreal, watch 1991 Monsters of Rock. AC/DC, Pantera, and Metallica put on a free show in front of an estimated 1.5 million Russian (the show was in Moscow) fans. There are endless seas of people. What made it even more exciting was that the Soviet Union had just fallen and right after that, two of the biggest Metal bands (Pantera/Metallica) came and gave a free metal (which is an ultimate sign of rebellion) show... Guards were trying to restrain people but they couldn't manage... It really showed middle fingers towards government/authority. It was a really symbolic way to represent the fall of the Soviet Union...

Razz I have seen this, although it's been a while. It was very incredible, especially when they cut to the scenes of pretty big "security forces" (let's call them what they were: powerhungry ****** with batons) in the audience...all while Pantera is up there playing Walk or Domination if I recall correctly. It was an amazing concert. I'm a huge Pantera fan and a moderate fan of Metallica.

Quote:
Quote:
it's always fun to see the members off stage (Metallica's and Pantera's behind the scenes type DVDs stand out here for me).

Have you seen the Metallica movie "Cliff 'Em All?" That one is especially fun to watch if you're into seeing the band offstage... The musical performances are good (one notable performance is For Whom the Bell Tolls in Oakland, California/Day On the Green in 1985) but the offstage scenes are funny. They're mostly of the band getting drunk. One funny scene shows James Hetfield screaming, "We have an emergency! F*** the earthquakes! This is an emergency! We're all out of beer." You've probably seen that one, but if you haven't, watch it. I haven't watched any other Metallica DVD's because I'm not a Metallica fan (except for the first three albums). Well actually, that's not completely true. I did watch the Seattle 1989 concert from Live Sh*t: Binge and Purge and some of Monsters of Rock.

Haven't seen them yet. I've been meaning to get my hands on them for a while just never got around to it.