FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[RESOLVED] Patching Drupal

modak
I am using the Drupal that comes with Fantastico. I need to enable captchas for comments in Drupal, but to do that I've to use a patched version of Drupal http://drupal.org/node/14708 . How can I apply the patches to the installation of Drupal created by Fantastico.

Thanks
Daniel15
The patch file is a file created by the Linux 'diff' tool. To apply the patch, you need to get a 'patch' program. I'm assuming you're using Windows, so you can get the patching program here (click on 'ZIP' next to 'Binaries')

Once you have that, unzip it somewhere. Make sure you remember where you put it.

Next, get the patch file (http://drupal.org/files/issues/comment.form.patch) Also get the file from your Drupal installation (comment.module). You can get this file either through the File Manager in cPanel or FTP (whatever you prefer, if you don't know what FTP is then it is better to use the File Manager in cPanel). Save both of these files to the BIN folder wherever you put the patch program (there will be one file in the BIN folder, called 'patch.exe')

Click Start --> Run and type in 'cmd' (or 'command', depending on your Windows version). Next, type 'CD ' followed by the directory you put the patch file in, again followed by '\bin'. For example:
Code:

CD C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\Desktop\patch\bin

Now, to patch the file. Type in the following:
Code:

patch.exe < comment.form.patch

Hopefully this works. I've never used GNU Patch, or Drupal, but it should work

Hope you understood this Very Happy
modak
Very Happy Thanks for your reply, but... I'm sure I didn't want a patch howto. I'm maintaining packages for Debian, and I know a little bit about applying patches.

Actually I'm asking about applying the Drupal captcha patch to the Drupal installation at modak.frihost.net/ilug-cal. Since there is no SSH access for my account, I wonder if it is possible to apply the patch remotely ?
Daniel15
You should just get the file required (either by cPanel File Manager or FTP), apply the patch on your computer and then re-upload the file.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, but... I'm sure I didn't want a patch howto. I'm maintaining packages for Debian, and I know a little bit about applying patches.

Some people are new to this sort of stuff, so I always try to explain in detail. If I had just posted 'use the patch program to patch the file' then I'm pretty sure someone would come here and say 'How do I apply patches?'. Very Happy
modak
Hmm... That means I'll have to go ask on the Drupal IRC channel, which are the files that patch modifies. Oh wait !!! I get that from the patch itself. Ok, thanks a lot for your reply, but I was hoping for an easier way Smile
modak
Another thing, to enable the event module of Drupal, I need to create/modify a few tables in the MySQL db. I couldn't find a way to do this via cPanel. Drupal gurus: can you please help me out ?

Thanks
modak
No one replied to my previous question, so I'll try posting the problem again :

To enable the calendar (event module) in Drupal, I'll have to modify the database structure. But since no ssh access is provided, how can I make required changes usig cPanel ?

Thanks a lot
Daniel15
You can use cPanel to modify the database... It's a script called 'phpMyAdmin'

cPanel --> MySQL Databases --> phpMyAdmin

You can create/modify/remove tables in a visual way, or use the 'SQL' tabs to manually type in your SQL
modak
Umm... I'm sorry for this, but I can't seem to find phpMyAdmin from cPanel->MySql databases. The page that is brought up allows me to delete, check and repair databases, but not modify them. There is an info on phpMyAdmin, but I can't seem to find the link
Daniel15
Here's the direct link to phpMyAdmin: http://www.frihost.net:2082/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/index.php
modak
Thanks a lot daniel15